CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Helen Lawson

Profile:
Stopped getting my period?

Sorry, i know its personal, but I'm curious if this has happened to any other female crossfitters.

I'm 39, 128 lbs (gained 4 lbs in last 8 weeks doing crossfit) and 19% Body Fat. About the same time I started doing crossfit was also about the last time i had my period. No, I know i'm not pregnant.

I haven't been to a doctor yet, but i asked a friend of mine that has been a gynocologist for 30 years. He told me it was because i'm too skinny and muscular. I told him that sounded like a good reason to start drinking more beer and wine and eating more ice cream!

If thats the case, is it healthy? I don't want to give up my Crossfit!

What do you think?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:
Re: Stopped getting my period?

I'm obviously not a woman. But i have read that women can stop menstruating when their bodyfat drops below 12-18%, ( im sure the range is broader and more personal than that ).
Old 08-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
Sorry, i know its personal, but I'm curious if this has happened to any other female crossfitters.

I'm 39, 128 lbs (gained 4 lbs in last 8 weeks doing crossfit) and 19% Body Fat. About the same time I started doing crossfit was also about the last time i had my period. No, I know i'm not pregnant.

I haven't been to a doctor yet, but i asked a friend of mine that has been a gynocologist for 30 years. He told me it was because i'm too skinny and muscular. I told him that sounded like a good reason to start drinking more beer and wine and eating more ice cream!

If thats the case, is it healthy? I don't want to give up my Crossfit!

What do you think?

It could be overtraining, it could be lack of food, it could be hormone fluctuations, added stress, etc., etc.....What you do not want to do is let it go for too long. Sounds like your bodyfat is probably lower than you think and that's preventing you from menstruating. It happens a lot (to me!) when I drop below a certain bf.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
James Neuman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
I'm obviously not a woman. But i have read that women can stop menstruating when their bodyfat drops below 12-18%, ( im sure the range is broader and more personal than that ).
I've heard that ballet dancers don't menstruate, presumably due to a very low body fat level. No idea if it's actually true.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Matthew Barrett

Profile:

I remember hearing something regarding this whilst studying physiology. The body can temporarily shut down menstral cycle in women. This is done to prevent fertilisation of an egg where the mother is either undernourished or ill. It dates back to our hunter-gatherer days when food supply was seasonal and varied. It stops reproduction where the parent would not have physical capabilities to carry a child. Low body fat levels and stress could be a factor in your situation.

Maybe ease up on the training, and add a couple more fat blocks to your diet, if you are zoning. Give it a month or so for your body to recover. If your still having problems, I would see your doctor.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Oh hay, I was just reading about this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blo...leptin-part-3/. (wfs)

Well the link isn't directly related, but it does go into how women lose their menstrual cycle when their bodyfat drops too low.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
Justin Shipley

Profile:

From a farming perspective,
skinny livestock = unsuccessful conception when mated, or don't go into season at all.
If conception does occur then miscarriage is common, and if carriage to full term occurs then the offspring is less than robust.
So from a purely self-interested motivation, farmers aim to maintain a good ratio of muscle to fat in their herds so that everything from milk to carcase weight to calving and lambing rates and more are running to full capacity.
I reckon we're subject to the same laws and limitations as most other higher mammals when you start straying from a certain 'happy middle ground' with regards to muscle fat ratios and the demands placed on the body thereafter
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #8
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Thanks everyone for your replies. What I'd really like to know is if it is safe and/or healthy?

If i'm 19% body fat now (according to my hand held monitor) then I'd love to get down to about 12--15% and keep building muscle -- the more the better as far as i'm concerned!

So, if it is safe then I'd be very happy to never get it again!

Thanks again to everyone .... Although some women might not, personally i like the livestock analogy.

Helen
Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Seriously! If it's not a problem, I'd love to get there too!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Its not healthy.
You are an animal of breeding age that can no longer perform that function.
That's not healthy, no matter how desirable sometimes.