CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM   #51
Jonas Moody

Profile:
Re: run 15k

I did mine in 1:25:36 in 105* heat in the Middle East at 10:00pm. Game on. I've run farther than this before, but not as part of a comprehensive training program like XF. It was interesting for me to see how I was going to perform given the environment and how surprising it was to see it as the WOD.

Props to everyone who completed it, and especially to those who have never done anything like this and attempted it, successfully or not. Once you get over 6-8 miles, it's all a gut check, regardless of your fitness level.

Dig it with a shovel!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #52
David Romanes

Profile:

Me and my running partner didn't think it was long enough so did 16k instead.
Actually we missed the turn off which would have made it 15!

Anyway took us 96:47 and thats me just managed to crawl to my computer to post.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #53
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

You people are animals. How can you actually keep running for so long?

Today I started, at a slow pace, and I only lasted 13 straight minutes. Then walk, run a bit, walk, run a bit.. till I finished a lap around a park, I think it's like 6km and it took me 41 minutes, but I was struggling big time. My lungs give in
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #54
Andy Gann

Profile:

Prior to starting Xfit - I ran at least 3 times a week for about 2 years. The furthest I had ever run was about 4 ... maybe 5 miles.

I've been doing xfit now for about 4 or 5 months and I tried this on 8/2/08.
I almost quit a few times but kept pushing until the treadmill hit 9.32 miles.

I did it in 81:11.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #55
Ken Pieschke

Profile:

M/44/5'11"/197
1:17:20

That was a pretty cool experience, although it blew dead bears between 8k and 12k wanted to quit, on board the pain train. Last 3k were quite painful but something instilled by the last two months of crossfitting kept me going. I think the dramatic increase in core strength and core endurance was a huge factor is completing this amazing WOD for me. I tried my best to maintain good form and was successful because of it. I was expecting pig pain and stiffness the next day, but is was almost blissful, walking on air. Friday on the other hand was payday, calves and quads were super tight, but still beaming because I actually completed the run. For me this WOD was like a baptism/initiation of sorts into CF. The duration let's you think about the pain you're going through and knowing that it's not to going to end for another 45-60 minutes. Coach is letting us open doors to our own capabilities. Love it!
Ken
Old 08-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #56
Shawn Bailey

Profile:

Just did the 15K this evening in 1:06:18 ....
Old 08-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #57
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

I love how for most people runs of this distance require significant training, but then it pops up on CF, and we're all thinking, "****... Oh well, I guess I'll just do it." And then we do it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #58
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
I love how for most people runs of this distance require significant training, but then it pops up on CF, and we're all thinking, "****... Oh well, I guess I'll just do it." And then we do it.
Yeah. Not trying to be negative, but... am I the only one who thought an "out of nowhere" 15k run (when our 10ks are few and far between; often skipped/subbed by many) could be construed as possibly irresponsible programming as related to potential injury? Responsible trainees would ramp-up to this level of mileage, but would most people scale back or interval walk/run to complete the full mileage without injury? Sorry to sound negative.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 AM   #59
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
Yeah. Not trying to be negative, but... am I the only one who thought an "out of nowhere" 15k run (when our 10ks are few and far between; often skipped/subbed by many) could be construed as possibly irresponsible programming as related to potential injury? Responsible trainees would ramp-up to this level of mileage, but would most people scale back or interval walk/run to complete the full mileage without injury? Sorry to sound negative.
Agreed. It sounds like a good way to hurt some people.

Also, the times are generally dismal, very few under 75 minutes, sounds like jogging. I think this is a distance to strive for and it may have been disrespected in this go around. Scaling is a good thing.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #60
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Agreed. It sounds like a good way to hurt some people.

Also, the times are generally dismal, very few under 75 minutes, sounds like jogging. I think this is a distance to strive for and it may have been disrespected in this go around. Scaling is a good thing.

Hey, hey...I'm 5'4". I assure you my run felt a lot faster to me than it might to somone much taller. j/king!...sorta

But, you know...it was a good exercise on mental toughness and taught me that I could probably speed up my 5 and 10k times since I ran the 15k at almost the same pace as my 10k.