CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Maddie Melnick

Profile:
Back problems

Before I ask my question, a little background info:

I have a history of overuse injuries as I played sports year round since about 6th grade (cross country, lacrosse, and basketball). Low back pain also runs in my family. I have been squating, deadlifting, and doing various olympic lifts for about two years now.

For the past two months, I've been experiencing very serious low back pain. I am currently seeing a chiropractor. The pain is always less severe after a chiropractor visit but eventually comes back full force. My question is: what kind of workout should I be doing? Squats and deadlifts are both painful. Anything that involves forward flexion is painful. Running long distances is painful. I am a very active person and just sitting around is really not an option. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Back problems

Maddie;

I'd be looking for an Ortho Pod that treats athletes and have a proper diagnosis as to what's going on with your back.

Unless you have a bone sticking out of your back, it's probably either a muscle imbalance, inflamed disc or some other soft tissue issue, but it sounds like it's time to see a pro.

I of course would recommend a great PT, but you might/should get an MRI along with rehab, so I'd be reconsidering my options.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Maddie;

I'd be looking for an Ortho Pod that treats athletes and have a proper diagnosis as to what's going on with your back.

Unless you have a bone sticking out of your back, it's probably either a muscle imbalance, inflamed disc or some other soft tissue issue, but it sounds like it's time to see a pro.

I of course would recommend a great PT, but you might/should get an MRI along with rehab, so I'd be reconsidering my options.
Ditto
I have degenerated discs in my lower back from genetics and some injuries when I was younger. Go see an orthopod and get an MRI. As far as the workouts go I can do both squats and deadlifts now. I've had problems with both in the past.
Get expert instruction, start light, and be conservative with the weights. The single biggest thing for me has been keeping my abs tight throughout the entire lift.
Good luck.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

If you are seated for long periods of time during the day, you need to be stretching out your hip flexors. I used to have low back pain. I saw a chiro that used decompression therapy. This helped me and stretching and strengthening my core is keeping me healthy and chiropractor-free for going on 4 years.

Also, fish oil helps with inflammation.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Maddie;

I find a CF Affliate, pay for a few private lessons, learn the proper form for the basic lifts. It does not matter how many HOURS you have to drive to find a good CF Affliliate, these places are great 99% of the time. You being in Maryland, there must be some great ones, in the DC/MD/VA area.

On a final note. Coach Rip SAID at the Ann Arbor Cert that he thinks he could fix at least 50%(maybe higher, I'm playing it safe with %%) of the people with back issues by having them do Dead Lifts.

Strong, heavy DL's and Squats done correctly are two of the most powerful exercises, bar none, period, done deal, take it to the bank.

It would be worth your time to catch his cert on the coast that's coming up. Best money you ever will spend.

See Calendar of Certs on Home page.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Maddie Melnick

Profile:

Thanks for all of your replies. I'll do some research and see if there is a sports specific chiropractor in my area.

I've also already been trained professionally with olympic lifts (not by a crossfit certified trainer, though). I'm pretty sure my form is spot on but I'll search for a crossfit gym around here.

I've also been following the barefoot thread. I'm thinking of maybe buying some "barefoot" shoes and giving those a try.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Maddie Melnick

Profile:

I bought the vibram five-fingers last week... been wearing them pretty much all the time (including workouts). My back pain has improved a lot since I bought them a week ago. I'm not sure if it's because of the shoes or if its because of the anti-inflammatory that my chiropractor gave me.

However, this morning I was running a couple of 100 m sprints at the end of the WOD and I felt a slight pain in the bottom of my left foot in the arch area. I've never had foot problems so I'm thinking that the lack of arch support in these shoes might actually be a bad thing. Any thoughts?