CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
i find this to be very odd. on each and everywork out your suppose to push yourself to the very limit, the work outs are very taxing overall, 3 days on one day off,is an intense schedule, there is no periodlizion in the program, like other programs out there.
how do you not over train ??

i am a huge fan of crossfit and have been following the philosophy very closely, even though i dont follow the WODS. i make my workouts short and intense, i use many of the WODS from the site, follow a pretty strict diet,sleep well, make sure iam not under-recovered but somehow i always end up overtrained after 2-3 month of training.
last 3 days i have no energy to get out of bed,
very tired and heavy. for me these are definite signs of overtraining.
i am going to take 5 days off and do completely nothing at all. hopefully it will be enough

i need help cycling the training to avoid this kind of over training. maybe a week off every 2-3 month is mandatory and i shouldnt even be complaining about it at all. if it isnt, i would like to hear how you fellas deal with this subject.

other than that, training is going very well for me and i am 20% away from one handed pull up which i am very exited about, and cant wait to post a vid of it in the fourm, hopfully in less than a month time.

thanks for your time and sorry for any spelling mistakes as english is my second language
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
John Seaburg

Profile:
Is your ultimate goal health or performance? What types and how much exercise are you doing outside of the WODs? What time of day do you usually workout? 3pm is probably the best time. Do you sleep in a very dark room? The darker the better. If your goal is health you might want to try an every other day workout program.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Israel Halperin

Profile:
i am not quite sure what my ultimate goals are. i think they are a mixture of both health and preformance.
i usually workout an hour after i wake up, about 4-5 PM, thats because i work night shifts as a bouncer.i do not sleep at a very dark room, actually, its quite the opposite, as i sleep during the day and work at night.

my routine is 2 days on 1 day off.
usually the first day will be a weight lifting day, which are divided into a push-pull-legs days.
the lifts take 40 minutes with 30 minutes of hitting the heavy bag at a strong pace(btween 10-15 rounds of 2 minute) before the lifting.

the second day is a bodyweight WOD like cindy,mary,angie or others that i make. i strongly emphasize burpees,one legged squat,one handed push ups,handstand push ups.
work out duration is 40 min on average.

so its like a 9 day cycle in which i get 3 days of lifting and 3 days of bodyweight WODS.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Adam Noble

Profile:
I know how you feel. I have worked in bars and nightclubs for the last eight years, the last three and a half as the owner so even on nights off, I still end up awake at all hours. That being said, I have never been a great sleeper (a couple hours at a time max), and have always been a night owl. Naps, and a really dark room to sleep in (tinfoil on the windows is a cheap blackout shade) are how I get by. Usually go to sleep around 4:30 am, get up at 10 or 11, do whatever, take a nap around 3 or so and workout around 5.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
Graham Tidey

Profile:
I know Ron Nelson and (I think Larry L) take a week off every x weeks and do nothing/very little.

Vague message, this, but do a search for "rest week" and something should come up.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:07 AM   #6
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
It sound like your cycle should be week off or half volume/intensity week every 6-8 weeks from what you describe.

Everyone is different and you might need to change that down the road but that is where I would start.

Good luck on the pullup thing, I am working on that myself
Old 05-11-2006, 04:21 AM   #7
Rory Gibson

Profile:
Several people have advocated a half-effort week once a month, and one complete week off every 12 weeks.

Seems to get good results.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The WODs do have a pattern of sorts, so following them will help to prevent burning out. That said, we all self regulate as to how we feel at times. Slow down during one session, push hard the next. The pattern I've adapted is:

3 weeks hard (with week three being all out). Week 4 half volume (cut time, reps, distance, weight, by 50%). On the 12 week, take a week off the WODs.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Larry, do you hit every WoD daily? By this I mean how often do you skip a WOD through lack of time/etc?

It is extremely rare that I do three weeks of solid WoDs without a day or two skipped (not inc rest days) through no time, hangovers, etc, etc.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Iz
EveryBody is different. If yours doesn't agree with the 3/1 WOD schedule, then change it. If you find that every month or 6 weeks you need a rest, then take it. Like people said, try to scale back on intensity every once in a while.

Sounds like you are in tune with the baseline WOD and training schedule and have discovered that every 2 months you hit a wall. So just plan ahead and take it easy every eighth week. Either scale down or skip a week. If that works, stay with it.

Listen to your body.