CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
Victor Putz

Profile:
SS without bench?

After looking at WODs and realizing how much a barbell set is used, I've finally determined to just plunk down the cash and get one, and a set of squat stands, and a couple bumper plates to try and save the floor. Ah well, money flees fast it seems, but I suppose iron lasts forever.

Now, I've wanted to build strength for a while, but SS does involve the bench press as an integral part. CF doesn't use the bench that much, I don't want to store a bench, and I can more easily get plain old squat stands than fancy bench/squat stands.

Will I be OK dropping the bench portion of SS and just doing deadlift/squat/press?
Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Max Fourman

Profile:
Re: SS without bench?

There are definetely more qaulified people than me about here, in fact I was asking about using front squats rather than back squats for SS last week. For what it is worth, though, heres my two cents...

I think as long as you dont press every workout, the only loss would be a lack of benching strength (like you said not that often required for Xfit) and the stimuli from one of the main big compound barbell moves. However I think the bench is the least functional of the SS lifts and recruits the smallest amount of muscle compared to the other lifts, so not as big a loss as not deadlifting or pressing I would think.

Have you considered replacing bench with either something that requires similar muscle groups; ring pushups come to mind maybe adding a weight vest if they get easy, or alternatively a different excercise that will provide useful strength when you get back to the WOD, the most obvious choices to me being weighted pullups or dips, sticking to the SS rep structure.

I think rip advocates adding the pullups/dips after a few weeks anyhow...
Old 06-08-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

That would not be SS.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Sub with weighted dips. He mentions this in the book.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Victor Putz

Profile:

Hmm, okay; couldn't find a discussion of subs in the book, but I do have rings, so could do ring dips (un- or weighted) as a sub; that seems somewhat reasonable.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Jason Lin

Profile:

I think dips are fine. Just make sure you add weights (instead of reps) everytime though.

you can always do the floor press but Rip probably wouldn't approve of that.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Robert Newman

Profile:

Rip does say that Dips are a better movement than Bench because more muscles are involved. I was thinking of doing the same thing when I start SS, but I'm still a little unsure. It seems like it would lead to better CFing since there's a lot of dips involved, and the added weight gains won't mess with your gymnastics abiliites so much
Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Dips are the squat of the upper body. Major recruitment from the triceps, anterior delts, pecs and lats and other stuff around the scapula.

(Unless you're strong enough that benching massively outdoes your dipping.. but that's nearing elite levels of strength).

Last edited by Steven Low : 06-08-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Derek Franks

Profile:

Dips are an assistance exercise. They are not a substitute for the bench press.

From Rip:

Quote:
The easy answer here is that SS is a barbell training program, and that dips are not a barbell exercise. But since that is a weasel, I'll just say that heavy weighted dips are way easier to get hurt doing. A dip belt is the traditional way of loading them incrementally, and the weight swinging around at the bottom presents a bunch of technical problems for both the execution of the movement and the management of the weight itself before, during, and after the set. The apparatus has never been standardized, the form is subject to ROM problems due to lockout and depth issues, and the bench has become the reference lift. Dips are a very good assistance exercise, and I've used them myself as a bench sub when I couldn't bench due to some weird injury, but I'm afraid they will never be able to replace the bench on a long-term basis.
WFS: http://www.************.net/forum/sh...ght=dips+bench
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Victor Putz

Profile:

Eh, fair enough. I still think that squat/DL/press/dips will do what I need for a CF strength base.