CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Matthew Pentecost

Profile:
Beta Blockers

Hey guys. Well I am wondering if anyone else has some advice for how to cope with beta blockers and mix it with crossfit? I started crossfit about a month ago and love it. The only problem is that I am on a beta blocker for high blood pressure :S. Beta blockers keep your heart rate lower (lower compression strength) and also effect your sympathetic nervous system (SNS) related to the 'fight or flight' reaction. This means less epinephrine. thus lower adrenaline.

Just some info on me. I'm 21, and only 160 lb and a non-smoker. to have high blood pressure just kinda runs in the family i guess.

I just doubled my dose to 50mg and it kicked my butt this week. I could tell that I lacked the 'oomph' to do finish the WOD.

Any info or suggestions are welcome! Thanks

./Pentecost
Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Beta Blockers

Do you have to be on beta blockers? There are many other types of meds for high BP that don't affect you in that way. When I went on BP meds my doc wouldn't put me on them as she knew I was a runner. I am on Avapro which is an angiotensin II inhibitor (I think).

Her comment was that you shouldn't know you're on them.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Robert Pierce

Profile:

I agree with Aileen. Beta blockers are not first line therapy for hypertension (wfs): http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002003.html so I would hope/assume that you are also one at least one or two other meds, right?

See about about a drug change.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Susanne Moskalski

Profile:  

I started a beta blocker 2 weeks ago, and I find that I have more stamina than before. But then, I'm taking it for an arrythmia and an electrical conduction problem. I think my heart might be beating more efficiently on the beta blocker. If its causing you problems, you ought to complain to your doctor and see if he'll prescribe you something else.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Matthew Pentecost

Profile:

Yeah beta blockers are the ones I have to take right now. I was on an ACE (Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme) Inhibitors, but my liver count went up 10x in a month. So I switched to beta blockers to lower my liver count. Liver count went back to normal as of last week. So basically I do have to be on a beta blocker because ACE inhibitors screw with my liver, and I would rather have a healthy liver for a while .

I am only on beta blockers right now (no other meds). Depending on how I can cope with these effect I should only have to be on the beta blocker. Might have to increases the dose also if my BP dose not lower completely. If I cant handle the effect, ill go back to 25mg and add a water pill (diuretic) to see if together they can help with my BP.

./Pentecost
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Exclamation Re: Beta Blockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pentecost View Post
Yeah beta blockers are the ones I have to take right now. I was on an ACE (Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme) Inhibitors, but my liver count went up 10x in a month. So I switched to beta blockers to lower my liver count. Liver count went back to normal as of last week. So basically I do have to be on a beta blocker because ACE inhibitors screw with my liver, and I would rather have a healthy liver for a while .

I am only on beta blockers right now (no other meds). Depending on how I can cope with these effect I should only have to be on the beta blocker. Might have to increases the dose also if my BP dose not lower completely. If I cant handle the effect, ill go back to 25mg and add a water pill (diuretic) to see if together they can help with my BP.

./Pentecost

a diuretic at 21 ???
have you considered moving to lower altitude to see if your problems lessen?
your at 5100 plus minus...
does your pressure improve when your lower??
Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Matthew Pentecost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
a diuretic at 21 ???
have you considered moving to lower altitude to see if your problems lessen?
your at 5100 plus minus...
does your pressure improve when your lower??

Yeah, crazy huh... Well thats my next option is a diuretic. I have lived at sea level before and had the same issues. I am going to Seattle area in two weeks to visit the inlaws, so ill be able to see if there is much of a change... It is kinda hard for me to pick up and move again. I just moved back from Seattle area to here for college, and im dedicated where i am now. Just applied for nursing school and cant stop now .

So truly i don't think it improves, but ill be able to test that out in a few weeks. Do you really think that a change in elevation might drop my BP from 175-80ish sys. and 90-95ish dist. to norm?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Matt Unthank

Profile:

is your diet good?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Actually, a thiazide-type diuretic might be a better option. The question of beta blockers as first line treatment has been asked and answered. The issue now is whether we should use them at all...particularly atenolol (wfs): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/517470

Maybe a calcium channel blocker could be considered.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Matthew Pentecost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pierce View Post
Actually, a thiazide-type diuretic might be a better option. The question of beta blockers as first line treatment has been asked and answered. The issue now is whether we should use them at all...particularly atenolol (wfs): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/517470

Maybe a calcium channel blocker could be considered.
Robert,

How reliable is this website? I couldn't find much about this website and its validity. Not that im doubting you, I just like to know how accurate the source is . The 'reference' tab didn't provide much information on their sources. especially the about the one they pulled the information about atenolol from.

I am on the beta blocker atenolol. So according to this article, I have an increase in chance for stroke? That would be sad. I have not done much research on beta blockers before. The research I have done has not said anything about stroke risks though. I also asked my doctor about long term side effect of beta blockers and she said there wasn't anything of concern to worry about.

What would a calcium channel blocker involve? In comparison to beta blockers. Also how effect are they in lowering blood pressure? Sorry for so many questions, im just curious about it. Would rather be informed about it then ignorant. Thanks .

Matt: My diet is decent. I do have high cholesterol. My HDL's are just find but my LDL's are not the best. I have changed my diet a bit in the past 2 months. I have checked out the paleo diet, but truthfully didn't agree with the claims about that diet. I do occasionally eat 'bad' but other then that it is good. What would you consider a 'good diet' though?

./Pentecost