CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Michael Keller

Profile:
Re: Is there a better site?

Spencer, do you want to be heavier?

CrossFit strives to make you as strong and fit as you can be per pound of bodyweight. It is not about creating mass for the sake of mass, if that is what you are after.

What are your goals?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Marty Sevilla

Profile:

Hey Spencer,
im in my fifth month of crossfit and i made the transition from a typical bodybuilding routine for the past 8 years to crossfit. as a heavier guy 5'7" 220, the transition has been painful but so rewarding and i have honestly gotten stronger. my bench before starting crossfit was about 335, i was pushing 295 7-8 times. now i hit 225 26 times and hit 275 18 times. so i imagine my bench is about 350-365. i think alot of it was due to doing all of the crossfit excercises as prescribed with my bodyweight, specifically all the push ups! Working out this hard doing the WOD's my body naturally will balance itself out gain muscle, lose body fat to get through the workouts. ultimately doing a Dirty Thirty or filthy Fifty workout, i defnitely break my muscles down enough so that they grow, when trying to push around 220lbs.

When doing the crossfit excercises you can throw variations on them if you want to maintain your bulk. for example on the days that i want to go heavy on the legs but WOD say 100 squats i'll do 5 sets of 10 weighted squats.
crossfit in my eyes has so many great benefits, if you give it that honest shot, you will definitely get the results youre looking for. i would definitely give it a good couple months of doing everything as prescribed and then start tweaking the routines to head in the goal you are trying to obtain.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Spencer Fossier

Profile:

1) I'm already kinda heavy. I'm 5'9" 164lbs around 16%bodyfat. I was 190+ for a good 2 or 3 years of my life in 8th grade and I've maintained that 30lb weight loss since freshman year. My problem is that I still have more fat. I've keep trying to lose it but its not coming off as fast. Also, I'm not sure if it's fat or just some skin that hasn't fully shrunk back yet. Everytime I read all these posts about eating more food to but on mass I get it in my head that I'm going to "fill up" all my loose skin with muscle, instead of keep trying to lose what is most likely fat and not skin. Any way to tell the difference? And no, I didnt find the site from Muscle and Fitness.

Thanks for all the reassurance and positive feedback all!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Alex Blum

Profile:

You are confusing crossfit and starting strength, man
Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
Douglas Smith

Profile:

Spencer,
Hey bud I'm 5'9" 190lbs prob about 15% body fat. CF is were its at. Used to do the gymrat routines well no more. Started CF never had better workouts and you can def. feel the burn after everysingle wod.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Spencer,
My suggestion if you want to lose weight is to get issue #21 of the CF journal, buy one of the zone books and do the diet. Weight and measure, workout, repeat.

You are already at the CF site so with this resource it makes sense for you to do CF.

SS or Starting Strength is for people wanting to bulk up. I would bet only 1-2% on this site are drinking a gallon of milk to bulk up. It may seem like more because people are asking questions about it and talking about it. That program works best for a young skinny male who wants to "get big". The results are likely a large increase in strength the "cost" is additional BF which may or may not be a negative depending on the person.

At 5'9",164 and feeling fat I think you should just do CF and do Zone at about 14 blocks (just a off the top of my head guesstimate) use only low GI veggies for your carbs. Eat all of our blocks worth of Protein and Fat but if you are too full with the bulky carbs don't try to eat all of the carb blocks, that should speed fat loss.

Read read read there is a huge amount of info on this site.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2008, 01:48 AM   #17
Roger King

Profile:
Cool Re: Is there a better site?

6 foot 4 , weigh 215 started at 205..
eating 5-6 block zone...

do 3-4 w.o.d.
bodyfat still about same 8-9%....

dive in , try some w.o.d.'s....
coach knows what the hell is up