CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
James Riley

Profile:
Two Week SS

My travel schedule this year prevents me from doing a long, drawn out lifting plan. Because of that, i have been doing the WODs on the road as their easier to convert into a hotel workout than a heavy lifting routine. That being said, I do miss my strength days, I have a full two weeks off before my next trip, so I was wondering of two cycles of SS would be useful. Do you think two weeks would do anything, or should I just stick with WODs until i have a solid 4-6 weeks to really hit SS good?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Two Week SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Riley View Post
My travel schedule this year prevents me from doing a long, drawn out lifting plan. Because of that, i have been doing the WODs on the road as their easier to convert into a hotel workout than a heavy lifting routine. That being said, I do miss my strength days, I have a full two weeks off before my next trip, so I was wondering of two cycles of SS would be useful. Do you think two weeks would do anything, or should I just stick with WODs until i have a solid 4-6 weeks to really hit SS good?
Lifting heavy weight is always beneficial, give it a go. I'd certainly give SS more of a run then 4-6 weeks.

I just finished week 6, plan to train SS all summer, but will be adding in some road riding along with mountain biking, so leg recovery might be hindered, but with SS and some riding, get the best of both worlds and those rest days during the week, man, they rock.
Plus the Raw Milk is the bomb.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Two weeks would be about 6-8 workouts, and would require a lot of exactness to be profitable. You would have to know quite well what your 5 rep maxes are, and be able to rest and eat (recover) well enough to completely and effectively utilize your time.

I would lean towards you being better off waiting until you can dedicate at least 6 weeks to it, though to really get the most out of it you need to be able to run it for as long as it can be effective. I'm in my 7th week of it, and, granted that I'm a beginner, am finally beginning to really groove with the whole workout and feel very comfortable with squats.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
James Riley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
Two weeks would be about 6-8 workouts, and would require a lot of exactness to be profitable. You would have to know quite well what your 5 rep maxes are, and be able to rest and eat (recover) well enough to completely and effectively utilize your time.

I would lean towards you being better off waiting until you can dedicate at least 6 weeks to it, though to really get the most out of it you need to be able to run it for as long as it can be effective. I'm in my 7th week of it, and, granted that I'm a beginner, am finally beginning to really groove with the whole workout and feel very comfortable with squats.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Thats kind of what I thought. I'll just wait until the travel schedule calms down a bit and stick to WODs (not like I'm not getting workout there). As you train SS are you doing WODs as well on the off days, or are you just resting?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I've never done WODs; I found crossfit through someone at my gym who was doing SS as well.

This should, if anything, be encouraging to you; as a completely out of shape, ex smoker with no muscle and no conditioning, I was able to, with good eating and lots of rest get my lifts to over double what I started, at least for squat. My conditioning, given it was horrible, has actually gotten pretty decent, at least enough so for me to compete in some pick up basketball games without having done a single caridio session besides a quick 500 m row to warm up with before SS.

I don't do anything on my rest days but rest, though early on, when weights were very light, I was constantly working on my form on off days, with lots of air squatting with a broom stick and stretching. Not very intensive, but something. I've literally not done a single thing for metcon, but as others have said, strength is slow to accumulate, whereas one can gain their metcon bak relatively quickly.

I will, howevever, be adding some KB work at least once a week from here on in, as I just ordered my frist 16 kg KB and am pretty excited to start using it.