CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
Shoes Pose running / CrossFit

Based on Pose / Michael Collins presentations, lots of folks must be starting to adopt a Pose type technique to run.

What would be a good shoe for use in BOTH running / Crossfit, etc... ?

I currently use Addidas Sambas, but don't run more that CrossFit has on the main site. I noticed lots of different shoes during the Endurance Certs so I figure something good must be out there!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Shoes Pose running / CrossFit

Vibram FiveFingers were recommended to me when I started looking into POSE. Dr. Romanov recommends at least training barefoot, in quite a few different articles on his site.

I've also read that a good number of POSE runners wear the Nike Free, but I haven't tried those myself.

Barefoot feels great once the new muscles get used to it. Make sure to start on a softer surface instead of asphalt like I did... your foot bones will thank you in the morning and the week to come.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
Sean McMaster

Profile:

I would save yourself some money and just train barefoot. You'll be surprised how quickly your feet/ankles adapt and become stronger.
I have been doing all my Crossfitting barefoot for some time now. It's true that I do most of it indoors, but I am gradually toughening up my soles by doing some stuff outside, and I love it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Everyone on here is gonna have a different opinion on this. I read through many of the posts to try to find the best shoe for me. I bought the Puma Saloh basically because I was going out of town and they were best ones I could find. Do a search and you will find more information about shoes than you care to know.

Here is a link to another post about shoes:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ght=pose+shoes
Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Darren Zega

Profile:  

I'll add that the thread Tate linked to is exhaustive, to say the least. The only significant change since it was started is that HQ has more or less made POSE running the official CrossFit running technique.

As far as shoes go, for CF you really need two pairs - a pair of weightlifting shoes and a pair of shoes for everything else (the needs of CF footwear conviniently happen to coincide with the needs of POSE footwear). If you're starting on a budget, forgo the weightlifting shoes and buy a general pair of CF shoes. Your main shoes should be light, minimally padded, unsupportive and flat. Padding in your shoes adds instability and encourages poor form. Support oriented shoes cast the foot into a rigid position and cause your foot stabilizers (the calves) to atrophy. You want your shoes to protect the foot from friction and nothing else.

Some opinions may differ, but here's a brief list of some footwear listed most to least POSE friendly:

Vibram fivefingers
Puma H-street (discontinued, you may not be able to find your size)
Puma Saloh (same as above, but more recently, so there's a better chance finding them than the h-street)
Asics Tai-Chi
Nike Free 3.0
Adidas Samba

While I haven't really tested any, a number of minimalist martial-arts shoes look pretty promising. I've also heard good things about the Adidas Goodyear - also not verified or tested.

Last edited by Darren Zega : 02-25-2008 at 03:20 PM.