CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 AM   #51
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Good job Gary!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #52
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!

My full fight review…

We knew Tank was a hitter, could move far better than his size, and we knew he would be coming for me. Therefore we took the fight to him, although I moved off the wrong side after scoring with a sharp looping right, and BOOM! His accurate, weighted, powerful punch hit me right on my cheekbone!

Before I saw the footage, I remember the hit, and don’t remember being hurt, so it was real interesting to see the footage. The force of the shot spins me and sends me over, but I instantly find base, check position, cover the start of the ground and pound, step to feet, cover and move, allowing Tank to fire away, weathering the storm. No point in meeting force with force, as hey, Tank will win that one every day! So the footage matches my memory.

I cover and adjust, firing back each time it is safe to ensure that there is not a referee stoppage, continuing to allow the ‘rope-a-dope’ and let Tank blow, ensuring my angle is right to make sure that I am not taking the shots cold against the cage wall. I’ve done much training against a heavier guy than Tank in preparation for Bob, and the mechanics we had practised worked, and timed right I moved Tank off the ropes. If you watch, I drive, and am well covered against his failing blows.

Tank then drives forward, though with contact with Tank I can feel his breathing and posture, so rather than break and circle I keep the pressure on by sticking with him. Back on the ropes, I wait, and then time a couple of knees into his lower stomach, trying to time his breathing to take more air out of him. He guards and leans in, and I look to my corner for instructions as to when to break and move. I have to look – the crowd were making such a noise I couldn’t hear!

Then Tank pulls at my legs, so no point in trying to stop it, go with it! I land perfectly in position, hooks in, nice and comfortable. Tank rubs my head a bit with his; I keep my left hook in, and throw a couple of rights off the ground to keep busy. I keep control with my hooks, and as Tank starts to move, I’m looking for opportunities – what limb will he give me, or a neck, will I reverse, or run? A couple of punches from me to see if the opportunity comes, and Tank starts to rise to his feet, and throws a right to distract me, then falls back for a heel hook. Training takes over and I instantly move my foot so as not to let him take a grip, and roll out back to my feet. I wait for Tank to get on his feet, as getting his weight off the ground would tire him out more, and put the pressure on him by standing in front of him, teasing him with a leg kick, stepping the correct side this time, and allow Tank to fall into me again. He tries to push me back, but I keep my posture, and sprawl on top.

I get my position, my left hand waiting to see whether there’s an opportunity. There wasn’t, so I tentatively threw a couple of shots to see if he’d lift his chin for me, a few strikes to loosen him up, I even tried a cheeky shot under his arm but hit his big chest instead. As soon as Tank started to move, I smeared him over Judo style, achieved mount, and being very careful to maintain my position I threw accurate shots with my ground and pound until Grant stopped it.

We always knew that a fight against Tank would be far harder than against Bob, with similar challenges, with less weight but more power behind the shots. We did not take Tank lightly, and therefore I knew I would take at least one good hit, so it wasn’t a surprise when it did! I just could have done with a better posture at the time it hit!

Smiler
Old 04-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #53
Brad Davis

Profile:
Sorry if this is a repeat. I scrolled back and didn't see a link.

http://www.mat-magazine.com/mat/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2946&I temid=2

Link to the fight. Work/family safe? It's a MMA fight, so I guess it depends on your "work" and "family" LOL.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #54
Luke Hope

Profile:
Cool fight, thank for the link there. When Tank was on top in the first ground, he looked like he was just lying there and not doing anything substantial... was there anything tricky I didn't see?

Also, was it just me or was the interviewer after the fight drunk?!?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #55
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
I don't know if he was drunk, but Tank was sure on his way! My Barber went to school with Tank, lots of interesting stories. Time to get my hair cut.

Great fight Gary, hopefully Sapp is on tap soon.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #56
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
Hey Gary... just watched the fight... great job!

It looked like Tank really landed that overhand right... must have been one hell of a punch. Great job weathering the storm.

I wonder why Tank went for the heel hook? Well it was good for you because you made a nice escape and did not let Tank catch his breath.

Good fight.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #57
Peter Queen

Profile:
Gary, much respect from me to you and a great job at maintaining your composure.
You really did weather a heck of a storm. Tank gassed out and you just took over from there,…. how cool is that?:biggrinthumb:

I also liked your sportsman-like conduct afterwards when you went back to say a few words to Tank while he was still down. Great all around attitude.

Brad, thanks for the video link.:highfive:
Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #58
Chris Jordan

Profile:
Great job Gary.

I can't (don't want to) imagine what that was like. Awesome.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #59
Celio Silva

Profile:
Thanx 4 the link Brad......Congrats Gary!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 AM   #60
Scott Borre

Profile:
Great match. Great 'comeback'.

So here are some questions Gary, which you probably have already answered to yourself:

1) What are you going to do in the future so you aren't knocked down like that with a punch?
2) What are you going to do so that somebody doesn't get you down with a double leg take down?