CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Wim Lokate

Profile:
I have been doiing the WOD's for a few days now after I stopped because I thought another routine with the normal sets/reps should be better for me.
But as always, I got bored after a few weeks doiing the same workout week after week.
So I am thinking to start with the WOD's permanent.
Are there any martial artist outthere who have had the same experience?
And do you train the WOD's now as supplementary training for martial arts?
And what are the results? Are you feeling more stronger and getting more endurance for your martial arts training?
If I read what kind off weights some off the Crossfitters are using I have a lot to learn :-)Mostly I cant manage to do the exercise with half off the weight they do.
I was planning to do the WOD's in the morning before work and martial arts in the evening.
I can train at least 2-3 times a week in the evening (because off my work).
So when I can do it this way I can train my strength and endurance in the morning and my martial arts in the evening.
Do you guys/girls think this is a good option?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I think it is a great way to go, just scale realistically and listen to your body.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Thanks Kevin,

do you have a martial arts beackground to?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I did bjj under Rickson Gracie for a long time and actually ended up teaching a class for him at UCLA's extension program.

Great stuff
Old 04-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Luke Hope

Profile:
My focus is my martial arts (aikido) three to four times a week, which can be very vigorous at times. I've done crossfit for about a month now, and yes, my endurance and strength have definitely improved. The plyometric components of crossfit definitely help (e.g. high rep thrusters, box jumps).

I run things basically the same way you're planning. Just don't forget to go easy on the crossfit warmup. I use mine for skill training primarily, not a workout in its own right. I don't need the extra workout because of my other activities.

-Luke
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Thank you guys for the feedback. Take care.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
Jeremy A Thompson

Profile:
I've been doing Shotokan Karate for about a year now. Just started with Crossfit a month or so ago. I'm still not up to full WODs, but I can still tell the overall change my body has gone through. I can hold the deep stances for much longer and my shoulders don't get tired... ever. Which I think annoys my sensi and he makes us do more and more punches and kicks.

Good Times.

JT
Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Moving to "CrossPit" . . .
Old 05-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
Stuart Smith

Profile:
I am a student of a Shaolin Kempo stype of Kung Fu - I have made the decision for myself that conditioning is the precursor to martial arts training from the point of view that you can't train skills properly if your body is prepared for optimum performance. I've been training Crossfit WOD's for 3 months or so now. My martial arts training has benefited dramatically - with fitness limitations even more out of the way there are fewer limits for me and I can progress further and further. Just my opinion.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
I have been doing Crossfit, and martial arts for 2.5 years. I do Krav Maga, Jujitsu and CrossPit., and I dabble in Ti Chi. Your plan is excellent. Crossfit is designed so you don’t get injuries, provided you do it with correct form. However, pay attention to your body to make sure you do not get repetitive motion injuries. If you work the same muscle groups, you will have the two programs be counter productive. My advice is to modify the CrossFit. Print out a list of the exercises, and pick something off the list to substitute. If your joints and connective tissue starts hurting, back off and do range of motion for this part of your body until you recover. These areas have little blood supply and don’t recover as fast as lean body tissues.