CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Sean Manseau

Profile:
According to the nytimes.com, it's official:
(Work/family safe link)
http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-big-matchup//

you guys are the experts, i'd love to hear your opinions.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Sean Manseau

Profile:
whoops looks like celio beat me to the punch.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I hope they put together matches like Cro Cop Vs. Fedor II, Wanderlei Vs. Chuck, etc it would be awesome.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Sean Manseau

Profile:
this may sound stupid, but as a stage for MMA spectacle i've always preferred the octagon to the boxing ring.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Roger Smith

Profile:
It'll be nice to see some big matchups between the 2 organizations. Unfortunately, it will likely be ufc rules and they have to pass the whiz quiz. I'm not sure if it will prove to be good for the athletes or not. UFC doesn't pay very well compared to pride, at least the rumors I've read....
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
With regard to pay, Pride wages for there recent show were nothing special. The main advantage between both markets is the individual fighters marketability in those regions.

Look at Chuck, Randy, Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, all good American guys so of course they get MAJOR sponsorship in the states.

Someone with poor English is gonna find it hard to be sold to consumers in the states, so would be better of fighting in Japan, where the only really worry about your fighting, not your nationality.

This is not a shot at America in anyway, simple elements of the "nuTUF" crowd who follow MMA and boo the ground game and foreign fighters.

Remember what Gomi said "We are all one!"

Now, that just one example of why a fighter might choose one Org over the other, but finances need to be considered as it's a living for these people.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Bo Riser

Profile:
I don't want Pride to change their fight format to all 5 minute rounds like the UFC. The UFC has basically eradicated the true ground fighters and submission experts by going to a 5 minute round. I know they did this to speed up the action for the fans but they took away from the true spirit of MMA.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
James Besenyei

Profile:
Pride will still be fought in a ring, UFC will still be fought in a cage, the very distinct brands of UFC & Pride will remain, there will be a Superbowl of sorts between the best fighters of both organizations, and Pride will adapt the rules as followed in Nevada & Jersey...all from the mouth of Dana White.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
Celio Silva

Profile:
My take is that the Fertitta's aquisition of Pride is not in the best interest of the sport.

Yeah, sure we'll probably see "dream matches" like Shogun vs Chuck, Henderson vs Anderson, Barnett vs Arlovski, Couture vs Fedor, Fedor vs Crocop II, etc..., but besides that, what else are we left with? We're left w/ a monopoly.

Competition is healthy in any market, but particular in the fast-growing sport of MMA. This new venture by the Fertittas gives them even more power than they already exerted over the fighters and the the sport itself.

For the fighters it is VERY troublesome to have only ONE promoter to go through if they wanna fight in the big stage.

For a young and growing sport it is very detrimental to be under the iron rule of one BIG bully boss, specially when that boss is tooooooooooo money oriented and not out to make the sport better.

For the fans there is the shortcomings of a monopoly running the show. The sport they love so much it's now well cemented under the influence/control of ONE company...one that lacks the right atittude towards the sport...

Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
James Besenyei

Profile:
I generally agree with Celio... however I think other organizations will crop up (at least I hope they do), and eventually one will challenge White & the Fertitta's for market share. As far as what is in the best interest of MMA I would like to see a common set of rules implemented (personally I like Pride's system better than UFC's, but I doubt they will be legalized in the States), and belts that truly determine who the best athlete in each weight class is....unfortunately Celio's predictions seem more likely, a few big, exciting fights and then a flat-line.

(Message edited by jbes on March 29, 2007)