CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #131
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: Will Crav Maga ever be in the UFC or Pride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
Matt, I think you're exactly right. Krav Maga strikes are trained at full speed and power on pads. Rarely in the beginning levels do students go full speed against a resisting opponent unless they are sparring. Defenses are drilled over and over and at progressively faster speeds with less reaction time, but a full on defense against a fully resisting opponent is not realistic unless you are fortunate enough to train at a school with High Gear or some other kind of force on force suit.

I encourage everyone who trains in Krav to take the BJJ classes we offer and the Muay Thai classes we offer because in that kind of training you DO have a resisting opponent. It is very, very valuable training for the Krav Maga practitioner in the early stages and students learn about the reality of fighting and what will work and what won't work. I find that alot of instructors and students who don't spar regularly start to believe their own BS. Stuff along the lines of "when I hit him here, he'll do this", or "I'll judo chop his elbow, hyperextending his arm and breaking it."

Now, in regards to attacks, street fighting, or whatever you want to call it, if you find yourself on the ground for whatever reason, and you find yourself being engaged by someone, you absolutely should pull guard and this is what is taught to Krav Maga students, because that is what works. Once in the guard the objective becomes to get off the ground. In Krav Maga we teach basic sweeps, strikes, reverses and positioning in the guard BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT WORKS and it all comes straight from JiuJitsu 101. I would never take a student who has been training for 1 month in Krav Maga exclusively and tell him that if someone puts him on his back and goes for his throat that he should arm bar him. I will tell him that it is a possiblity and advanced students will go for that armbar without hesitating, but that beginning student needs to understand that the goal needs to be to get up before we start teaching them submissions for self defense purposes.

When we're talking about differences and similarities between these systems, what we're really talking about is a difference in principles. Krav Maga uses techniques from MMA, BJJ, boxing, wrestling and Muay Thai but Krav Maga isn't any of those. It's a principle based system. The principle is to defend and counter. It's as simple as that and it applies to a punch or a kick, just as it applies to a gun in your face, or a knife at your throat. The best way to apply that principle may be to use boxing technique to redirect a punch, for example and maybe a right straight to counter or a left straight, or a liver shot. It doesn't matter. A good instructor will do his best to move you away from linear, in the box, "if he does this, you do this" thinking and into a more instinctive, use your tools way of thinking.

Nick, I assume when you say to pull guard this would only be if the option to get up and get away is taken away and you were not able to make space with kicks etc... right? We do not teach students to think about pulling guard unless it is the best option with no other choice.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #132
Nick Delgadillo

Profile:

yes sir. Your assumption is correct.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #133
Brian Negrotto

Profile:

I think to argue fighting styles is kind of silly and before long turns into a, 'Yeah, well my dad can pee futher than your dad,' argument (which I am sure that my dad can). IMO, diversity and open-mindeness is the key to success in self-defense. I am a BJJ guy at heart, however, I NEVER turn down any oppurtunity to learn something from anyone, don't care if it is Anderson Silva or something Bubba the Redneck had success with in a bar fight. Krav Maga is battle tested, indeed, but I can assure you from 1st hand experience, so has been BJJ.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #134
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
I think to argue fighting styles is kind of silly and before long turns into a, 'Yeah, well my dad can pee futher than your dad,' argument (which I am sure that my dad can). IMO, diversity and open-mindeness is the key to success in self-defense. I am a BJJ guy at heart, however, I NEVER turn down any oppurtunity to learn something from anyone, don't care if it is Anderson Silva or something Bubba the Redneck had success with in a bar fight. Krav Maga is battle tested, indeed, but I can assure you from 1st hand experience, so has been BJJ.
Hey Brian.
It really is not about what style is better and I totally agree that we should pick up tips when ever and wherever we can if they work or are effective. BJJ is awesome but generally in 2009 it is taught to sport application and mindset. That's all that is being said. I love BJJ and see it having great value.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #135
Jan Mahler

Profile:

The UFC already had a Krav Maga fighter. He didn't do well.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Moti-Horenstein-139
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moti_Horenstein
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #136
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Mahler View Post
Well why would he have ? If he is Krav trained (which I did not see on his bio) he would be trained in a system without rules , referee's etc... Not sure what your point was? Krav is self defense not sport. Have you by chance even gone back to read all these posts?