CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Yep, everybody in my training class is amazed at how healthy I eat and repeatedly makes comments about it. One guy calls me "Salad Boy" (as if that's an insult) because in the deli downstairs I always go to the salad bar instead of getting a greasy sandwich. Last night, I caught $hit cause I didn't feel like going out drinking after the company took us out to dinner. "You don't drink, you eat healthy, you're not married, so it's not some woman making you do this."

I think it's humorous that these people that are so far out of shape make condescending remarks about those of us that don't mistreat our bodies. I flat out told them today "I think it's funny that I'm the outcast because I'm healthy, but that's a label that I'll gladly accept."

Enjoying being the boring healthy guy
Old 07-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
That's pretty funny Scott. I would, however, look out for converts. Sometimes the comments they make are the only way they can broach the subject of fitness to you. Having converted a couple of people to a healthier lifestyle, it's always great to see someone change for the better.

That's just food for thought...Salad Boy.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #3
Don Woodson

Profile:
Same here Scott.
Do you also find these same people can't seem to resist squeezing you arms and shoulders all the time? Kinda makes me wonder sometimes...
Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Luckily, none of them have touched me yet. When that starts, I will begin worrying.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Puts your nickname into another context, doesn't it? :rofl:
Old 07-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Don Woodson

Profile:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ben, that was killer!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Scott,
I get the old "your in good shape, you could eat anything you want." My usual response is, I am eating what I want.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
I get that, too (I'm guessing most CFers do, too).

Actually, far worse than the jabs thrown my way regarding my healthy diet are the jabs thrown my way regarding my age. This is fairly recent but quickly becoming old (no pun intended).

Last weekend I was at a barbecue where the average age was twenty-five (it was the b'day party for the twenty-five year old sister of my friend). Anyway, at 33, I'm apparently the oldest person on the face of the planet. Everyone had to give me a ten-minute lecture on how they couldn't believe I was THAT old, how they were guessing I was maybe 28 years old at the most, etc., etc., etc. Everyone meant it in a complimentary way (I look younger than my age), but it still gets old.

I also compete against guys in their mid-twenties, because frankly, that's where the competition is, so I get a lot of cracks about my age while competing, too.

I think the real issue is why does someone who's 25 (non-CF population) look like he's ten years older than he actually is.

In the end, though, I guess these are good problems to have.

Mike
Old 07-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #9
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Salad Boy or Canteen Boy???

i also got harassed yesterday for my diet. someone offered me some Combos and i politely declined upon which this girl starts berating me. 'he cant have that...it has CARBS.' repeat ad nausem...literally. she wasnt even creative with the jokes. i wanted to tell her off but i realized it was out of ignorance that she made the comments and she probably wouldnt understand that there are also carbs in fruits and vegetables and what i was really concerned with was eating balanced meals that dont spike my insulin. i held off, though.

later when they were eating some Lays potato chips, they offered me some with, 'why dont you eat something normal?' to which i replied along the lines of, 'you think Lays potato chips are normal? unfortunately theyre considered 'normal' in this day and age, but do you actually think people ate Lays potato chips 1000 years ago? historically, they are incredibly abnormal for humans to eat.' no response.

i appreciate them being nice and offering me food but i just wish they would stop the madness. my answer is always the same to their crap...no, thank you.

oh, and the girl who joked me is the same one that nearly faints when we do any work outside, is shocked when i say im going to work outside in the heat, and is in general a pharmaceutical company's dream (maybe a bit exaggerated but definitely not hyperbole). i guess thats why drug stores do prescriptions AND can meet all your junk food needs.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Mike wait until your one of us ancients.