CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hello All,
And thanks in advance. I've been battling some hip flexor pain that originated while doing overhead squats. Something popped while deep in the hole with 185 about six weeks ago. It was right in the left hip flexor. It felt like a hip pointer I got playing football in high school. It got mildy sore, much like other muscles strains I've had in the past. It hurt to the touch, like other muscle strains. It got better over time. I rested it, iced it, used my EMS unit on it. Rehabbed it slowly and incrementally increasing weights and amount of cardio. Then, this past sunday, I finally decided to do some 5x5s with conventional deads. I was doing 505 with about 30 to 45 seconds between sets. On the 5th set, the area below where it popped before popped - not straight below, sort of to the side and more in the quad. This time it hurt a little more, but it was a different area. It's way sorer this time and it's going to take me longer to rehab it.

I'm not concerned that it will heal, but I am concerned nonetheless. My question is can you tear something without discoloration, swelling, etc?

Five years ago, I ruptured by right tricep tendon and my arm turned black and blue to beat all hades. However I had previously partially and minorly tore the tendon about eight years prior. The tendon had healed itself by calcifying. Before the tramautic tear, it was always painful and I never could do much with pressing motions. Since the surgery, I've actually gotten a lot stronger in my upper body.

In any event, I know it's a little long winded, but I wanted to hear some thoughts from some fellow workout nazis. As of now, I'm icing it twice a day and zapping it with my EMS twice a day. I couldn't walk without a limp until Yesterday. Now, I don't notice it when I walk, but when I squat or bend at the hip, I can feel it. It just feels like a pulled muscle. I did some air squats and bar only back and front squats with a slow cadence today; didn't have any pain, but I could feel the strain.

I guess the reason I'm asking all this, and before I go nanners and get an MRI, is I wanted to hear from other fellow gym rats.

I definitely will not be pushing the envelope with anything leg related for at least three months. It's good actually, given that my competitive season is coming up. I need to lighten up and move into event training. Much less stressful on the body.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I had two hip resurfacings and play hockey (for fun) so have some experience with the related hip flexor issues. You can absolutely have pain and strain, etc. without bruising or discoloration. I had my muscles absolutely tenderized when they dislocated the hips and the bruise was not in the area of the hip flexor.

Go see an orthopedist. There are a variety of manipulations they will do to narrow it down. Might even be a sports hernia. There are too many muscles running around in that area to diagnose this over the internet.

Then you might want to see a physiatrist to make sure that your body is capable of moving in the right ways to deal with the very large strains you are placing on it.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Thanks Elliot.
I have my biannual physical next week and my M.D. will order an MRI if I ask for it. Perhaps I should?
The apex of the sensitivity is about three to four inches down my left quad in line with what is the hip flexor. Or I guess I should say it's about four inches from the attachment point of the hip flexor.

I'll get it checked out and take it easy until it heals.

Thanks,
Arden
Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I would take it one step at a time (i.e., not jump directly to an MRI) but I would go see an orthopedist specializing in sports medicine rather than an MD. I would imagine this injury has occurred many times before with other people. As I recall, the hip flexors are 4 different muscles that wrap around and attach in different places, so it's again important to diagnose.

Could be a pull, could be a trigger point, could be in the muscle, could be in the tendon, etc. etc.

I wouldn't worry about it except that it's come back worse than before.

But as you know, I'm just an injury prone amateur, not a DC or orthopedist!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Thanks again Elliot.
I'm really lucky in that my MD is an amateur bodybuilder who's won several shows. He was also an all american in cross country and originally considered being an orthopedist. He's very knowledgable in sports injuries and knows where to refer and what tests to order. I just through MRI out there as a way for me to meet my deductable for the year. :-D

It's actually feeling much better day by day. Today the only way I can feel it is if I cross my legs. Don't feel it when I squat or flex the quad.

I'll start the process next week with my regular visit.

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Glad to hear it. By the way, I think I've been in your neck of the woods for track days on my motorcycle. What is it? Summit Point? There's actually a short course that's used for police training that is a killer. Something like 1.1 miles and all tight turns.

Those days are behind me.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Actually that course is less than two miles from my house. To get to it, you have to drive by my house. Sweet.

All the best,
Arden