CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-10-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
Ryan Norman

Profile:
I hurt my back at least 2 to 3 months ago trying to do a little too much on push press. I went up and tried to lock it out, but the weight kept going behind me and put my back at a really weird angle (almost like a backwards "c"). Now my back still hurts. Its not the muscle either, its the actualy spine. My lower back feels like it is bruised when I touch it. I layed off for a few weeks and it got a little better, but it still gives me problems. Anyone else have anything similar happen to them?

I know its not good to try to diagnose an injury online, especially a back injury, but it is going to be a while before I can get to what I consider a "qualified" doctor. So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions...Thanks.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
James Hall

Profile:
Does flexion make it worse, or extension? Whichever makes it better, do 10 reps 4-5 times per day. If they both hurt, get some xrays to rule out a possible fracture. Not trying to scare you, BTW.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Ryan Norman

Profile:
They both hurt, but only at the extreme end of flexion. Does that make sense?
You didnt scare me...Who would be scared about a fractured back?!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
With the way you described your injury, it could be the spinal facet joints that you injured. They're like little "kickstand" joints off the back of the spine. They compress with extension, and you had weight overhead. I agree with James though, after 2-3 months of pain I would get evaluated and have x-rays taken (definitely get the oblique views of the spine).
Old 11-16-2005, 07:15 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Anyone else have anything similar happen to them?

I am fortunate enough to have bumper plates and I would simply drop a lift like that rather than try to save it. It's injuries like this that support my claim that bumper plates are safer than regular plates.

Seriously, I'm surprised commercial gyms don't get sued for having inferior and unsafe equipment when one of their clients gets injured like this. They'll spend $5,000 on a leg press machine but won't spend $500 on a set of bumper plates.

(Message edited by lincoln on November 16, 2005)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
John Walsh

Profile:
This an excellent point Lincoln but could you imagine how many mooks would be tossing barbells on the ground after a set of curls?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Mook is an excellent word. Though I have to admit that I have seen regular weights dropped often enough. I would be pushing for rubber weights everywhere that I could...
Old 11-18-2005, 11:46 PM   #8
Ryan Norman

Profile:
I used bumper plates back in my college days. They were great. Unfortunately the we are lucky to even have a gym like we do over here. MWR actually came through!

I am going to get my back checked out by the PA here on my next "non-busy" day and go from there. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:11 AM   #9
Ryan Norman

Profile:
Well, just to keep anyone that is interested updated, I finally visited the PA we have here today. He quicly concluded it was just a ligament strain. Didn't even suggest X-rays or anything. Told me to ice or heat, whichever feels better and gave me some Motrin. I didnt think icing or heating worked after 4 months, but maybe I dont know anything after all! At least it is documented in my medical file now though.

Next step is not getting held over at the demobilization site. That would be BAD.

Thanks for all your help.