CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Hey guys,

I've been worrying about how I'm gonna keep up with the WOD when I come home from college for spring break and the summer and am seperated from my school's beautiful weightroom.

I talked with my parents about putting together a cool homegym, and they seemed all right with some of my ideas. However, they were pretty strongly oppossed to me building a lifting platform and turning our garage into my own personal gym.

So, I need good equipment that's got a small footprint. I figured I could pick up some solid or adjustable kettlebells. They would take up very little space, and I could even take 'em outside, etc. With the bells for cleans, snatches, etc (and rings and my own bodyweight for other stuff) I bet I could do a lot of WODs(though I'd still have to scale back the intesity alot! :uhoh:)

So I've been looking at various solid KB's (DD, K2, etc), but I'm really interested in these cool adjustable handles too

1)Kettlestacks- http://www.kettlestack.com/
2)Kettlegrips- http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/Kett...tle_grips.html

Do you guys have any opinions on all this?

PS Over the summer, I'll have access to a bar and bumper plates a coupla times a week...I can go to my old High School weightroom and practice my C&J and Snatch.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Matt - I have and really love using my Dragon Door kettlebells and over the last several years have developed a stable of them from 26 to 72 pounds. (I am eagerly awating the shipment of my 88 pound bulldog). I train some people in my gym so having multiple weights is a must and in my own workouts I like being able to move from KB to KB rather than having to change the weights.

The downside is the horrific expense. The 88 pounder I just ordered was $172 for the bell and $52 for shipping. (I hope I'm here when the UPS guy carries it from his truck). If you don't mind changing the weights the handles you mentioned are an excellent alternative. If finances allow you ought to get several handles so you can arrange them in different weight configurations so you won't have to constantly make changes.

Good for you "practice" your C&J and Snatch. What a neurological wonder those movements are and they indeed must be practiced to perfect all their many nuances.

Go to a feed store and get some stall mats. Here in Washington they are $40 each for 4 x 6 mats and you can drop whatever you are lifting on them without noise or fear of breaking your weights or the concrete.

Hopefully someone else will have better data for you on the handles you are after.

Happy training
Old 02-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Jason Scully

Profile:
go to www.uskettlebells.com

they have adjustable kettlebells. I have one and I like it a lot and it is a good price. They are shaped just like originals.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Scott Arnold

Profile:
Ditto on US Kettlebells. It's like nine KB's in one, including the three classic sizes: 16, 24 and 32 kg. For $200, very competitive IMHO. Be advised, however, these are NOT for throwing or juggling.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
Jason Scully

Profile:
I like them a lot. Basically becuase they are a good buy. Obviously if I had money I would get cast irons ones, but the uskettlebells do a great job. You can do all kettlebell exercises with it that can be done with cast iron ones. Like scott said though just don't throw them around and you'll be fine.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Gill Athletic (http://www.gillathletics.com/) has cast bells, great prices, and a CrossFit discount if you talk to John Baumann.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Michael Mann

Profile:
I have the Kettlestack and it works fine. It has a good feel to it and accurately replicates a solid KB. However, like anything that replicates something, it has it's drawbacks. It's a little rougher on your forearms and shoulders due to the shape and slightly less fluid, but only slightly. If I didn't work out with a DD KB once in awhile I wouldn't know the difference. For the price the adjustability of one handle wins out over these drawbacks.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
Michael Keller

Profile:
The USA Kettles look like a good way to go. Hmm....got a birthday coming up in a few months, gotta drop a hint to the wife.:lol:
Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Kettlebells will be perfect for compact WOD gear back home. My first three months of CrossFit pretty much all I used were kettlebells (2x36 and 2x52) and Power Rings. There was even a time when I used just one 36lb kb, a 52lb kb, and a tree branch =) Hit me up if you want any advice modding WODs for KBs.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Dave Young

Profile:
Any help for this situation....

I'm in the market for a big ol' batch of KBs for class training (several of each; 8 - 16K). My problem is both budgetary and psychological. The psych part is that I'm a traditionalist and can't bring myself to buy anything but the originally-shaped cast iron units. The best deal on those is obviously Gill Athletics, especially because of the XF discount. Problem is that Gill is perenially out of stock on all weights. Power Systems has a better price than Dragon Door, but not as good as Gill. Am I missing anything? Anyone got a well-priced source I don't know about? Thanks.

Dave