CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I am still having some difficulty incorporating 5x5 into a routine with CF. Would this be adequate:

DAY 1 - CrossFit workout
DAY 2 - 5x5 (Upper Body)
DAY 3 - CrossFit workout
DAY 4 - REST
DAY 5 - CrossFit workout
DAY 6 - 5x5 (Lower Body)
DAY 7 - CrossFit workout
DAY 8 - REST
Repeat

5x5 days with 3-4 exercises, such as bench, dips, chins, push press, muscle-ups, deadlifts, etc.

And then the CF days make sure they are more cardio driven.

I'm just uncertain what CF workout to do then, if for example day one we end up doing deadlifts, i'd need to replace that day for another WOD. Suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Sure just pick the most recent Met Con or distance workout.

Met Cons are usually short and have "for time" in the descriptor. I think most of the benchmark workouts are Met Cons. You could either look at a recent month or rotate through the complete list of benchmark w/o's

The distance ones are pretty easy to figure out also run (or row) 5K, 10K etc

Check out Anthony Bs workout log for a great example of this type of mix.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
So on my CF days stick to any of the girls for time or any distance workout? Because a lot of the CF workouts are for time. The girls seem to be benchmark workouts, more ideal perhaps?

Like yesterday's workout, the squats, doesn't seem to be enough for one day.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Frank, you're making this much more complicated than it really is. You probably have more threads asking how to organize your routine than anyone else on this forum. The benefits don't come from having a perfect routine, the benefits come from finding something that will work, and just sticking to it (whether that be the Rx'ed wods, an oly lifting program with some wods mixed in, distance training with wods mixed in, etc.). I don't mean any offense, buddy, but just find something, and stick to it. Not for just a couple of weeks, but for at least a couple of months. You're never going to know how good a program is anyway if you don't keep at it.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
David Werner

Profile:
Josh is right, your plan could be fine, try it for a few months and see.

But, don't cherry pick the WODs, it won't matter if you just worked deads 5x5 and then a deadlifting oriented WOD comes up the next day. Just do it. That is part of the random nature of the programming and it works well. If you pick some of your favorite girls and do them all the time your overall fitness will suffer.

It's also usefull to have easy days come up from time to time, so if the WOD "doesn't seem to be enough for one day" don't fret, it all works out over time. Those easy days allow for some nice active recovery and are pretty important. Killing yourself every workout is not productive or fun.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
it might help to just organize your workouts according to a theme rather than trying to micromanage. For example, one theme could be increase strength and maintain cardio. Or maintain strength and increase cardio. and then don't stress the exact order if things come up. works for me, might work for others.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Sam Cannons

Profile:
Frank I do a very similar thing, i dont have quite enough weights to do 1-2 rm with a lot of lifts so i'll do crossfit as rx'd except i'll do a 5x5 wo for the strength days. It might look something like this with a metcon, metcon, strength.

CF WOD
CF WOD
5x5 WO (usually 3-4 exercises weighted pull, TGU, Squats, O-Lifts ect, ect....)

I will also do singled and double like 10x1 or 7x3 with exercises I have the weight for.

Rest and repeat.

Regards
Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Brian Cornwell

Profile:
I am by no means an expert, and compared to many that post on this illustrious forum, I am still a beginner, but what has helped me is to do the WOD's a block behind (three days on and one day off being the block). This way I have advanced warning of what workouts I will be hitting, and can fit in some 5x5 when it is most productive. For example, The last block (starting 061223) I did as follows:
Day 1: 5x5 weighted pullups, 5x5 Bench, then the WOD
Day 2: 5x5 Back Squat, 5x5 Deadlift, 5x5 Clean, and WOD (5k)
Day 3: 5x5 Shoulder Press, 7x3 Weighted Pullup, then WOD

This is a lot of volume sometimes, and occasionally (more like frequently) the WOD's performance may suffer somewhat, but my primary goal is strength and power gains, so I prioritize. It's alot, but I get in my WODs and all the lifts I want to focus on (Bench, Squat, Deadlift, SHoulder Press, Pullups, Handstand Pushups and Cleans) almost every block. Just an idea, I've been doing it for about a month and have put 15 pounds on my bench, 10 pounds on squat, 30 pounds on DL, clean form and weight has improved, added 25 pounds to 5 rep max pullup, doubled handstand pushups from 5 to 10. It has been working out nicely, and doing it a block behind so that you can plan in advance to fit everything in is most helpful. GOod Luck
Old 12-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'd agree with Brian. Doing the WODs in arrears works well because you can supplement them as appropriate. I tend to add in some heavier weights when we get a simple weightlifting WOD like 3reps of shoulder press x 5. I go light on the weights, or skip them entirely, when we get some killer bodyweight routine that leaves me with no energy.

Usually I'll do a modified CFWU, then perhaps get one lift in that I'm trying to catch up on (e.g., shoulder press or push press), then do the WOD, then finish off with another lift that needs work (squats). This assumes that it's not a killer WOD.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #10
Joshua Bird

Profile:
I've been reading through the comments on the last few WOD which were 5x5. I am seeing that alot of people are incorporating sub-maximal weights into the 5x5. What's the consensus on this? I have always done a few warm up sets then picked my target weight and done 5 full sets at that weight. I think the five sets should be 5 working sets.