CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Ryan Molofy

Profile:  
Hey all,

I'm relatively new to CF, so I might as well introduce myself before I get on to my question. I'm a 20 year old Albertan boy, and I've been physically fit for my whole life, and I've been involved in a variety of sports such as hockey, lacrosse, rugby, karate, and wrestling. I have been lifting weights since I was 14 and have followed mostly a bodybuilding style of working out, except for a powerlifting cycle I did a few months back. I've just discovered CrossFit recently, and it is much better than anything I've ever done for fitness -- I'm glad I found it young.

Anyway, my inquiry is regarding warm-ups and cool-downs. For the warm-ups, I am aware what the "official" CrossFit workout is. Is this done with a relaxed tempo? How long does everyone find it takes to do the full warm-up? It almost looks like an entire workout to me, not that it looks tough to accomplish.

Regardless, my real question is about cooling down after workouts. I have finished the last few workouts feeling great (as in “I survived”, not “that was easy”);however, in the next half hour after the workouts, I have gotten really nauseous to the point where I have almost puked. I really think that this is due to not having a proper cool-down.

Any suggestions? I would like to hear what some of you do for post-workout cooling down, other than leaving a giant sweat stain on the floor. }
Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 AM   #2
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
I have joined the crossfit family. i am a brazilian jiu-jitsu purple belt and crossfit has helped me on the mat for strenght and conditioning. I love it.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 AM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Leaving a sweat stain on the floor is my cool down of choice but after a couple of minutes of letting the world stop spinning i ususally just walk around a bit and then stretch my hip flexors, quads, hamstrings etc.

After Fran today I felt like i was going to fall asleep for the next 4 hours, it's pretty normal.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Ryan,

Just a thought. If you are already fit coming in, and oddly enough especially if you are very fit, I would caution you to still ramp up the workouts. It is possible to have an initial capacity for the high intensity workouts that exceeds your tolerance for the same.

The other thought is that it might be an eating/nutrition thing, at which point I'm not qualified to comment. I have a cast iron stomach.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
John Messano

Profile:
I now eat 2 hours before the WOD. This has helped keep the food in the digestive process.

I normally just sit on the floor to cool down.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
After going really hard on a WOD it is a good idea to "cool-down" for a bit. Light jogging or walking followed by some appropriate (meaning you have a specific reason to do them) static stretches will assist with removal of waste products and help prevent excess pooling of venous blood in the extremities. If you're getting nauseous I would investigate your nutrition, adaptation to intensity, and include a cool-down.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
"After Fran today I felt like i was going to fall asleep for the next 4 hours, it's pretty normal."

I don't think that's normal. I have felt that way and it is a bad thing to me. I have avoided it since I started drinking a PWO shake with protein and carbs.