CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Andrew Burry

Profile:
RIP M-1 Global

M-1 had a great run protecting Fedor from any real competition over the last 5 years. The last meaningful competitive fight I can remember was against Cro Cop in 2005. They would never allow him to come over to fight any of the UFC's big heavyweights, not that Fedor seemed to want too. Thanks to Dan Henderson for finally shutting up all the Fedor fan boys out there... Fedor can be beat, definitely didn't deserve a #1 P4P ranking, but was the best heavyweight Japan ever had to offer, however in America.. well when he was supposedly was in his prime he wouldn't fight Randy, Brock, Mir, or the up and commers like Velasquez or Dos Santos. The UFC offered Fedor a title fight with Brock without ever having even fought in the UFC before and he turned it down. Anderson Silva would fight Brock Lesnar just for the hell of it! He is a real champion.

Matt Hughes, great champion, beat lots of guys, was the ruler of an era, didn't hide behind a promotion to prolong the mystique of being the best fighter in the world. GSP beat him, the world moved on, he is still respected and can still beat guys. M-1, book another fight with Hong Man Choi or Zuluzinho...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Michael Dowling

Profile:
Re: RIP M-1 Global

oh man this ought to be good... dan henderson is a great fighter, no shame in losing to him. the only time i lost a little respect for henderson is when he KO'd bisping and admitted to dropping another bomb on him when he was defenseless to shut him up, mouthy or not you just don't do that.

i think with fedor people are going to have to admit that he was never as good as the fanboys thought, but he isn't nearly as overrated as the haters think either, he had one hell of streak even if he did fight trash like hong man and guys a good 7 years past their prime.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Clark Petri

Profile:
Re: RIP M-1 Global

Sherdog recently had a very well written discussing the legacy of Fedor. I agreed with your assessment, his legacy was hyped on a streak largely inflated by mediocre opponents. He was extremely talented, no doubt, but obviously can't hang with world class heavy weights at this point. I think Cain or Junior would wreck him.