CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #41
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
Re: Mark E. Wallace's One-Year Crossfit Testimonial

Hey I'm not even halfway through your testimonial right now but I wanted to say it's an incredible story.
Specific levels of fitness are always going to be relative from person to person, but what is so respectable is getting up every day and trying to get better.
I have a fairly similar story to how I started CF, got away and then had a changing moment to bring me back. So this really hit home for me.
If you pay attention to the CF Journal at all they are running my article at some point in the next couple weeks, could be a couple months depending on where it fits for them. (Its in my log on Page 102 if you'd like to read it)

You should think about submitting this to the journal, it's a great read and getting it out there to inspire more people would be a great thing.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #42
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Hey I'm not even halfway through your testimonial right now but I wanted to say it's an incredible story.
"Incredible" may not be the right word, but thank you.

Quote:
I have a fairly similar story to how I started CF, got away and then had a changing moment to bring me back. So this really hit home for me.
And this is the reason I bothered with the testimonial at all; hoping that it would "hit home" for someone. Thanks for saying that.

Quote:
(Its in my log on Page 102 if you'd like to read it)
I'll do that. Thanks.

Quote:
You should think about submitting this to the journal, it's a great read and getting it out there to inspire more people would be a great thing.
Eh, I'll consider it. It's a rather unremarkable story in the sense that I didn't overcome major obstacles along the way, but I guess I should let the powers that be at the Journal make that call.

- Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #43
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Eh, I'll consider it. It's a rather unremarkable story in the sense that I didn't overcome major obstacles along the way, but I guess I should let the powers that be at the Journal make that call.

- Mark
Rant incoming.

See, this irks me. Not everyone has to overcome major obstacles - not everyone even has those hurdles. You know what most people's hurdles are?

The couch, the TV, and the lure of the internet. Your article is going to speak to more people than anyone battling sickness ever could, in my opinion. There's a benefit to both types of stories. It's as important to see "there wasn't anything wrong with me, there just wasn't anything right either, and I had to do something" as it is "I had this <insert overwhelming situation> happen and knew if I didn't do something it would ruin my life."

I LOVE seeing people's stories who overcome the lure of the couch potato. I love seeing people who aren't overcoming horrible odds and circumstances, because those are just normal people getting better. I want to be normal too, and I want to get better - and stories like that are way better at motivating people like me than the overwhelming odds ones.

So quit with the self-deprecating. Just because other people deal with other things doesn't make what you've done any less relevant, important, or interesting.

So there.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #44
Chad Ryan

Profile:

Great job, Mark! Inspiring!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #45
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
So quit with the self-deprecating. Just because other people deal with other things doesn't make what you've done any less relevant, important, or interesting.
I said I'd consider it, Shannon. I also (basically) said that I'd let the powers that be judge the testimonial for its value to the Journal.

So chill.

- Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ryan View Post
Great job, Mark! Inspiring!
Thank you, Chad!!

- Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #47
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I said I'd consider it, Shannon. I also (basically) said that I'd let the powers that be judge the testimonial for its value to the Journal.

So chill.

- Mark
I wish. Do you realize it's still in the 80's here? It's freaking NOVEMBER OMG.

I get your point, by the by - and see where you're coming from, but honestly I also think too many people sell themselves short. All ranting aside, there's a lot of value to be had in testimonials from normal people doing extraordinary things, whether it's published in the Journal or not. (And yes, I know you were hoping to resonate with people - I support that idea WHOLEHEARTEDLY)
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #48
Evan Perry

Profile:

Congrat's on the result's....very well done. It's always a pleasure to see someone get out of something what they put in. All the best.

Ev
Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #49
Teresa McDermott

Profile:

Great work Mark! Thanks for sharing the ups and downs of your journey. Awesome accomplishments. All these testimonials and stories are great motivation for me to keep going and not hold back. I love the bit about what your daughter said. Just shows how kids notice these things.