CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Anyone read this?

Sounds like a cool protein powder, except for the cereals, a good idea. Food based highly bioavailable protein powder. Any products like this on the market ayone knows of?

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,398609,00.html
Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Bob Long

Profile:
Send me some. I'd eat it. The ingredients sound ok, and it would be convienient.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I've read that if you were stuck on an island with only one type of food that dogfood would be one of the better choices for a single food to provide nutrition. I find it interesting that a place with that many people starving would turn down anything edible. I seriously doubt there is that much diffrence between dog food and say beef jerky.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Stupidity knows no bounds. I would venture to say that it is the higher-ups in the Kenyan gov't, the ones who don't starve to death (and likely never even go hungry) that are claiming such "insult" and "rejection" of a free, healthy food offer.

Human digestive tracts aren't that different from dogs--we both are fully able to eat meat and grains (ie. corn, I'm not saying we're supposed to eat grains though). That statement was not by a very informed person.

Anyway, at least the dogs will get to be healthy and well-fed in New Zealand!

If I was starving, I'd eat my dog's food and drink out of my dog's bowl in a second. The ego in this situation is amazing. I'd rather be alive and eating dog food (wait, if I start eating dog food, can I then start calling it human food?) than dead with my worthless pride.

Dr. G
Old 02-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I agree. The Kenyan government told her she should have sold the food and donated the money to charity or donated the food to a charity so they could sell it, but it seems like that is just making for more starving people.

Few of us probably understand the feeling of desperation after being malnourished and starving, a desperation which would surely forfeit any national pride and predjudice against eating dog food.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
I would eat the dog too...is that wrong? :-)
Old 02-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Haha I would eat canine if I was starving but way too much history of attatchment to that species to make it a part of my ideal diet.

What about human? Like in that movie Alive? If you were starving and dead bodies were the only thing to eat?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
I would have chosen the "hike out" team versus the "hunker down" team. I would have to be in the situation to know for sure. I always fly with fava beans and a fine chianti in my carry-on, just in case.

As for the original topic. They certainly could have spun it better, or helped differently, maybe sent some New Zealand bottled water.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I'll eat just about anything, once. Got my grassfed beef liver at the farmer's market this weekend, along with my first portion of beef heart. The meat shakes are back in business! Wait, don't dogs eat liver?

I need to go on Fear Factor before that show goes off the air. Any other takers? They have their "best friends" show!

Dr. G
Old 02-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
Ken Thynes

Profile:
That dog food doesn't sound too bad. As for the scientists that claim it can't be proccessed by humans-are the scientists the same tools who are in charge of the agriculture and economic programs there? If I was starving, especially with a family, the label on the food I was offered wouldn't matter a whole lot. Besides, I've had dog (in Bali), and it was damned good. I've never had "long pork" though. Hopefully I'll never have to. Didn't seem to hurt Jeremia Johnson though!