CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
dave ojeda

Profile:
I was recommended by my doctor to take Aspirin but already take fish oil daily (10-12 caps daily)

Any thoughts on combining the two. I did a google but didn't find much.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Larry Cook

Profile:
I take both Bufferin and fish oil (18 months) ... I've experienced no problems. I have never researched the topic, though.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think the new Zone book has some information on this...something like antiinflamation Zone I think. Michael Street had some info on this...if he does not notice the thread you might shoot him an email.

I would go easy on the combo as it could increase bleeding if over done.
Robb
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I recall that Dr. Sears, in Entering the Zone, says that asprin helps by killing all eicosinoids. It takes care of pain and inflammation by getting rid of the bad ones. Since we are trying to put together an arsenal of good eicosinoids, I am not sure how that works. His more recent book probably has more current data.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
dave ojeda

Profile:
Thanks everyone for the tips. I just want to make sure where the line is when combining fish oil and aspirin.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Dave,

The sense I get is that it's probably OK for occassional use, but, for the reasons that Beth alludes to, probably not a good idea on a day-to-day basis.

The most efficient way to decrease inflammation is the modulation of hormones known as eicosanoids. Increasing the production of "good" eicosanoids and simultaneously decreasing the production of "bad" eicosanoids will decrease inflammation. This is because "good" eicosanoids are powerful anti-inflammatory and vasodilating agents, whereas "bad" eicosanoids are powerful pro-inflammatory and vasoconstricting agents. Although there are many drugs (aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, COX-2 inhibitors, and corticosteroids) that can reduce the levels of "bad" eicosanoids, they also reduce the levels of the "good" eicosanoids. This is why the more powerful the eicosanoid suppressing drug (such as corticosteroids), the greater the side effects, especially with long-term use. From http://www.zonecafe.com/zone_diet_li...modulation.asp.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 07-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Dan Silver

Profile:

Add a Bloody Mary to the aspirin and fish-oil combo and you've got yourself my favorite breakfast.

-D.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
David Werner

Profile:
I recommended aspirin and fish oil in combo to Michael Street because we both had overcooked our elbow tendons with agressive muscle-up training. I got the idea from Sears' new book "The Anti-Inflammation Zone". Check the book out for details but the gist is that there are certain potent anti-inflammatory icosanoids produced when we have adequate levels of omega-3 fatty acids and take aspirin (none of the other non steroidal ant-inflammatories have this effect).

Like I said - read the book for details but it seems to help.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
bill fox

Profile:

Been doing about a year - no problems.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
Sebastian Arana

Profile:
Re: Aspirin and Fish Oil taken together

There are several ways to thin the blood and prevent clotting: aspirin, garlic, vitamin E, fish oils, alcohol, and apparently, stress - paraphrased from Andrew Weil's Eight Weeks to Optimum Health. He suggests not much more than 80mg a day of aspirin. Seems like the more conservative doctors out there might only recommend aspirin for those elder folks at risk of heart disease. Doesn't seem like there is much risk involved. I just caution against going overboard with any of the above. I am going to look into the anti-inflammation zone by Dr. Sears. I did see today while I was giving blood, a question about whether I took aspirin recently. I haven't, while I am considering it. I did not mention that I was taking fish oil. Having only just started, I may be taking more than necessary, although not as much as Dr. Sears suggests to start out with, 2.5 g O3 a day. I intend to obtain some blood tests, likely something that will give me a TG/HDL ratio, so i can adjust my fish oil intake accordingly.

My nurse did say something to a co-worker about my donation going under five minutes, which sounded like something unusual. I am guessing the fish oil had something to do with it, and perhaps the ridiculous vein I have in my arm. I get that from my Mom. My poor Dad hated getting blood taken because it was like a hunt for the nurse. Anyway, point being, I think in low doses, the combo of any of the above is OK, just be sure to tell your doctor about it when you see him/her, and if you do anything that requires blood letting or bleeding, SAY something.