CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
David Cynamon

Profile:
here are two videos of either me snatching or power snatching

any and all critisism and pointers would help
Attached Files
File Type: email snatch#3.mov (2.09 MB, 377 views)
Old 07-25-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Pierre Auge

Profile:
David,
here I go in point form.

1. Relax, your arms and lower back are doing all the work and they shouldn't be. This is a hip movement. Your elbows are bent from the get go, loosen up and make like your arms are cables.

2. The bar is very far away from your body throughout the entire motion. Keep the bar tucked in to the body. As the wise Sage Burgener told me, make as you are shaving the body. (as odd as that sounds)

3. You are picking the hips up before the weights leave the ground! Raise your body and the weights as a single unit. They should all come up in the same position they were in when on the ground.

4. You are moving your feet too wide in the landing (squatting) position. This mixed with the bar being too far from your body is forcing you forward on to your toes. Try focusing more on sitting down as fast as possible rather than doing the splits. Here's a tip out of Lincoln Brigham's bag O' tricks (he used it on me).

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/13350/27721.gif
Your feet only have to move and come up off the ground enough to get into the squat. If you jump up too high you will less effectively generate power down through the ground. If you spread your feet to much you simply wont be able to get as deep into a squat (you limit your own flexibility).

GOOD POINTS!
1. Good aggression - you are ripping the bar right off the ground. Now use your hips to do it not your arms and lower back!

2. Your eyes are straight ahead not looking at the ground or above your head but straight out and focused.

3. You're getting the bar overhead and keeping it there. Good stuff!

Try the following sequence:
- Hook grip, Butt Down, Chest over the Bar, Eyes Front

- Shoulder Blades Together, Arms relaxed, Big Chest, Back Arched, Stand Up

- Jump & Shrug, Land

- Stand Up!
(remember the bar must be close to the body throughout the movement!!! Don't be afraid of it, it wont hurt, MUCH!)

Thats all I can think of I hope thats not right out of her!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
David Cynamon

Profile:
thanks Pierre,
I see exactly what you're saying. From this video I really saw that I was landing way too wide:

After working on your advice a bit, I see that I'm going to have to go back down on the weight until I'm comfortable bringing the bar closer and controlling the movement.
Attached Files
File Type: email snatch blooper.mov (2.05 MB, 203 views)
Old 07-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Good tips, Pierre!

In general, good.

Three specific improvements to work on:
1) Do not let your hips should not rise faster than your shoulders. (your back ends up nearly horizontal right now, not good.)
2) Do not bend the arms early.
3) Make sure the bar brushes the crease where the thighs meet the hips.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Clay Jones

Profile:

Dave, one other point-- (Pierre and Lincoln have said pretty much everything on what you need to modify)

Start with LESS weight--use the bar only if need be, 'till you have your technique perfected.}
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
David,
yep that happens! Heh !

Lincoln thats a great point, this could be "so not good" for the posterior chain... I was doing something similar myself when I started as I recall.

Clay I like that, PVC is your friend!

David,
Lastly I want to make one point, learn to dump the weight! I would rather drop the weight and damage my gear than damage myself! While your dump in the last video wasn't that bad, it wasn't that hot either. Dumping is a necessary skill that should be learned from the get go... I'm sure you'll get lots of opportunities once you get some good weight on the bar but you have to be confident enough with the dump to be confident enough not to need to dump it!!! Does that make any sense?

Tip when dumping forward shoot your butt back and push forward on the bar this will normally move you backward keeping you on your feet as the weight comes down. Keep your hands just above the bar as it falls.

When dumping backward step forward as fast as possible and just get the out of the way! The bar is coming straight down!

David, you're doing well, keep working at it and in no time you'll be all sorted out.