CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #261
David Mathews

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

I have a couple of questions:
1.Has anyone used the CFSB protocol with coach Rut's MEBB. For instance doing deadlifts one week then squat cleans the next week and maybe powercleans the next week on the deadlift days?

2.Will the high rep stimulus be sufficient if you did the high rep stuff every other week or so instead of every week?

Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #262
John Edmondson

Profile:

Can't speak to your first question, but regarding question 2: If you perform the high rep sets only half the time, I suppose you'll yield only half the benefit. In my experience (in the second week of my second 6-week cycle for what it's worth), the high rep sets are a huge part of the program, every bit as important as the 3x5, 5x3, etc. Out of curiosity, why do you want to restrict the high rep stuff to biweekly?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #263
Brian Bedell

Profile:

David Matthews, I think John E's analysis will work equally well for your first question. If you DL less, you will get less results. You are talking about two different programs, it may be a better idea to pick one.

FYI, I have been doing CFSB since it came out in the journal with great results. I sub Cleans for the FS day. Personally, I would not switch up the DL day, i would add the variety you are mentioning on the FS day because the FS is basically an assistance exercise for the olympic clean

Regards question 2, what is your opinion of sufficient? If it's too much volume to do it every week, then whatever you have to do to prevent overtraining is "sufficient." Instead of going biweekly, I would lower the volume of the high rep protocol instead. Start with none, go to one set of 15-20, then maybe two sets (12-9), then eventually up to the 3 sets.

CFSB, as all things CF, is a lot harder to implement then it looks like on paper! take is slow and build up the volume
Old 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #264
Mark Kurczewski

Profile:

I haven't done CrossFit in about a year and a half, only keeping up with lifting heavy and putting on a significant amount of fat. Im looking for the opinions of the board in relation to CFSB and fatloss as I want to maintain my strength and increase my conditioning (which went down the pooper). I don't see any reason how this wouldn't be possible as long as I ease into the metcons, no?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #265
Robert Callahan

Profile:

As long as you dial in your nutrition you should definitely be able to see the body comp changes you want while maintaining strength and improving conditioning
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #266
Randy Shrauner

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Long time listener, first time caller...

I just finished a six week cycle of CFSB and wanted to post a couple of observations and ask a quick question. I first became interested in CFSB as a result of the Journal article and after this cycle I can say that it is indeed "Strong Medicine." In six weeks my Squat has gone from 137 to 155K, my DL from 157 to 175K, my Front Squat from 90 to 130K, and my Shoulder Press from an anemic 72 to a slightly less anemic 80K.

Performance on the MetCons has been steady to better...but for the time being I will take "steady" as a tradeoff for the strength gains.

This is a grueling workout cycle both physically and mentally. Shooting for PR's four days a week, followed with those demonic multi-rep sets, and a MetCon has my body beat up and aching: not DOMS, more run-over-by-a-truck sore knees, hips, shoulders, and hands. (Of course, my turning 50 in the middle of the cycle might play a part in this!)

Nutrition... I am an 18-20 block guy, but two weeks into the cycle I found that I had dropped about ten pounds and my energy levels were sagging. For the last four weeks I have been eating everything--mostly clean--I can get my hands on and have found that the energy has returned, the weight has stabilized, and yet I am continuing to lean out. Again, this program will kick your backside if you don't give it the respect it deserves.

My question: How have those of you who have done multiple cycles of CFSB coped with the wear and tear associated with a steady stream of ME workouts? I am looking forward to a half volume week next week and am trying to decide whether to immediately roll into a second cycle or to spend a couple of weeks on the main page WOD. Have you--and particularly the 40-50 crowd--been able to hang in for multiple rounds of CSFB?

Above all, I want to offer a word of thanks to Jeff Martin and Darrell White for all the effort that they have put into developing & refining CFSB. Two guys who I will most likely never have the opportunity to meet have me working my tail off five mights a week in my garage and I am loving every minute of it. Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #267
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I'm 41, and have been doing CFSB since it came out, with a one week break somewhere in there.

Yes, it's grueling. The way that I try and avoid the overtraining is through the metcons. Make them lighter, harder, shorter, longer depending on how you feel. I also often skip the weekend/shoulder day long metcon in favor of some sport. This helps a lot. I don't do "heavy metcons." I do regular ones, just shorter usually. I stink at bw exercises, and am already strong, so this is fine with me.

Also, I do ascending sets and try to PR as soon as possible! Typically this has me doing just two "work" sets. For example, yesterday's DL's:
1x5at135
1x5at225
1x5at315 (work set)
1x5at400 PR
Then I'm done.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, I doubled my fish oil to about 5-6gms per day of combined dha/epa; and my shoulders feel like I am 25yo again. They kept me up at night sometimes before b/c they hurt so bad. DO THIS.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #268
Darrell E. White

Profile:

First off, Brian you have been a real asset here and elsewhere on the Board. Thanks for helping out on the CFSB sticky. You are a gentlemen.

Randy, Brian's thoughts are spot on. I am 49, tiny (151#) and STILL understrong. Less so, though, since August when Jeff and I started this project. I have found that dropping a lift or spreading out the cycle with extra rest days or simply subbing a Main Page WOD for a CFSB day has helped.

More fish oil for sure. You are eating a ton of blocks. How tall/heavy are you? Think about sticking with a block count and doubling, tripling, or 4x'ing your fat? I am 151, 15-16 blocks (1 or 2 too many, actually), and ~2x fat. Although my CF performance would increase at 14 blocks and 4x fat my life performance seems to suffer when I get under 15 carb blocks/day.

I'm pleased that the program has been both fun and successful.

--bingo
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #269
Randy Shrauner

Profile:

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the advice. Brian, on the fish oil, I am getting about 3.25 grams of EPA and 1.25 grams of DHA a day. On your recommendation I think I will throw in one more capsule and see what happens. And, the way you are getting to the top end of your work sets has me wondering if I am wasting to much time ramping up. My challenge, however, is getting warmed up and loose. In general I will do three full rounds of the standard CrossFit warmup with a dose of the jump rope thrown in for good measure. The part of the day I dread the most is that first set of OHS with the PVC and that first ten pushups. The best part of my day is that next hour when everything is heated up and working like it ought to!

Darrell, I should have mentioned that you and I are on the opposite ends of the body spectrum. I am 6'4" and weighed 273# this morning (so now which one of us is under-strong!). The tape measure and the block calculator have me at 21% bf, which should put me at 21 blocks. The 18-20 had me feeling good and slowly peeling off some pounds. But, when I moved into your program the tank ran dry in a hurry!

As for now, bacon, peanut butter, and Motrin are my friends. And, any warmup advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you both again...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #270
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Thanks Bingo, that's much appreciated. Thanks for the program!

Randy, I was doing about 3 gms combined before, and was feeling nothing and wondering what all the fuss is about this darn fish oil! After reading some threads herein that said you need about 5-6 grams of the dha/epa combined I doubled my intake. Worked wonders in a couple weeks.

What I really wanted to mention is that I believe the standard tablets have only 300mgs of combined dha/epa in them. If you tablets are the same, adding one at your bw is not gonna help. Take enough to make sure you are getting 6gms at least, that is how much I take, but I weigh about 80lbs less then you. I used to take ibuprofen too.

Regards warming up, you need to do what you gotta do; but I've found that the full cfwu is too much for me on a daily basis. Maybe that is another area in which you could cut down on the intensity? Lately I have been combining my cfwu and skill work. Of course, I live in S. FL so it is hot as hell in my garage and the warm up is not an issue! I have always found that jumping up in weight quickly, after the wu, leads to higher PR's. This works for me. Be sure to take plenty of rest between sets too on the ME stuff. I am well known for not taking enough rest between sets; currently I take 3 minutes between wu and work sets and then 4 mins before I try my PR. But Ripp says don't be afraid to try 5-8 minutes.