CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Rob McBee

Profile:
It is a little surprising anyone would not be 100% supportive of Armstrong's achievements. I thought De Vany made a few thought provoking points. Armstrong's popularity probably won't be as high in the coming year's but that's just how short American attention spans are.

De Vany got it way more wrong though on two key points. What he doesn't understand about extreme endurance sports is that they aren't, and nobody promotes them as, healthy/longevity producing activities. Armstrong was at death's door anyway and chose to use his second chance giving it all for his passion. Secondly, and somewhat insultingly, De Vany makes the crack about great accomplishment not being greatness. Again he's seeing it way too narrowly. Armstong's accomplishments in cycling are just the tip of the iceberg of his greatness. He's raised over $90 million for cancer research and inspired who knows how many people with and without the disease to exceed what they thought they were capable of. Pushing himself, while maybe not healthy or even very athletic in the broader sense of athleticism, has given people hope.

What was Armstrong suppose to do, just curl up in a ball and just be glad cancer didn't kill him? Stay in a marriage that wasn't working for reasons only he and his former wife really know? To do those things would have been living a life ruled by fear. Heroic sacrifice is more important than duration.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

Jack London, Jack London's Tales of Adventure
US adventurer, author, & sailor (1876 - 1916)
Old 07-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
Dan Silver

Profile:

It's really too bad I never got to go to Las Vegas with Jack London.

-D.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:42 AM   #14
Clement Florence

Profile:
Dan you are definetly not like any aussie cops I know. Love your input
ps No reflection on aussie cops, they just ain't that witty
Old 07-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
David Wood

Profile:

We'll let Dan handle this . . .
Old 07-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #16
Dan Silver

Profile:

Er, thanks. Sorry for the off-topic post but I was asked...

I get that a lot. "You aren't like other cops I know, most cops I know:

1- Are dumb.
2- Are tall.
3- Aren't funny.
4- Have a swinging mustache.
5- Are total dicks.
6- Don't have visible tattoos.
7- Don't listen to underground metal.
8- Are Republicans."

I could go on and on. The truth is, I know and work with some people who don't seem that bright, are a little crazy and don't agree with my social and political views. All walks of life are attracted to law-enforcement. The testing process tends to weed out certian personality types. The very nature of the job does as well.

I am a really bad comparison to my fellow cops. That's because I am a total schmuck. I was raised to be a smartass by a family of comedians and I have trouble turning it off. I am also barely smart enough to let that keep me out of trouble. I am often self-righteous, arrogant and hostile as well. I act that way because it makes me laugh and, honestly, I don't like most people.

Those qualities make me a more obtuse person than most cops I know. Most cops I know are funny, sensitive (though they don't often emote), caring (though they may deny it), dedicated, intellegent, honest, witty and selfless public-servants.

When the uniform is on most cops act in a certain manner which people have come to associate with policemen. They can be stern, seemingly uncaring and write traffic tickets with cold-efficiency. They can also cut through the BS and solve problems effectively and successfully.

I could stand to take a lesson from many of my co-workers. I could be much more professional, much more stern, rigidly apply the law without bias, and dedicated to the public I serve. I'm not gonna though, because I'm arrogant, jaded, cynical, self-righteous and have a stupid sense of humor.

So there you go folks. Let that put that matter to rest. If I'm special it's in a negative way.

-D.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #17
Clement Florence

Profile:
I have found that Crossfit has changed me not only physically but also mentally. But what I would like to know is, does Crossfit attract nice people, or does it make nice people. Just an observation. Everyone here seems openminded and genuine
Old 07-24-2005, 02:39 AM   #18
Pat Janes

Profile:

Nah, Clement. That's just an illusion.

We're all just too exhausted to cause too much trouble...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #19
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Funny....

I know who Lance Armstrong is.

Who is DeVany and why would I care who he is?

Perhaps he is right when he talks about greatness. What has DeVany accomplished that will make him go down in the annals of history?
Old 07-24-2005, 05:02 PM   #20
Gary John

Profile:

Tim,

Never thought I would suggest this, but "Google" him. Visit his website and you'll find a lot of interesting opinions.

That's is the fun of these many varied sites. Sometimes I just roll my eyes at his commentary, other times I find him fascinating.

And once your over 55, you never have to care what other people think. Plus, you never wait in line if there are more than two people, but that's a whole other issue.