CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
Roger Harrell

Profile:
On the topic of long days. I had a stint in Phoenix working 14 hrs a day 7 days a week. Fortunately They had no trouble with me taking a mid-day two hour workout break. It was bad enough with the break. I couldn't have done it and kept sane otherwise. A lot of folks got sick during this thing
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Barry,
We used to call it "Willy Wonka Land".

I work in the same company as Jon Gary who also posts here. Our coworkers see us, mostly Jon, doing the WOD and outright say "You guys are crazy". Then they watch how I eat and comment on that as well.
But when they wanted the company gym built, stocked and maintained, who did they come to....Jon and I.

Crossfit, coming to a biotech near you.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #13
Dan Silver

Profile:

There is always the possibility that man is evolving into a new, less active, version of itself. In the coming age of computers and giant, killer, robots I think less emphasis is gonna be placed on physical attributes. So man getting fatter and lazier could be like whales beaching themselves, maybe they are trying to learn to walk, not commit suicide.

Now let me go off topic here-

Rob, get some health insurance for you and the crew. You might need it some day if you, or one of the other cave-folks, drop a rock on your foot or throw an errant spear.

-D.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #14
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
Reading all your posts, I realize how lucky I am with my work situation. I work 12 hour shifts in a 2 days, 2 nights, 4 days off pattern. I plan on my first day shift and the day after my second night being my rest days. More importantly, unless we are busy, we can basically do what we want around the station. Yesterday I read Gene's notes from Coach B's seminar and started working some of the drills with a broom in our living area. At least one of my partners has seen me doing handstand practice at work on a slow day. I don't particularly like to break a sweat while I am in uniform 'cause I hate going on calls all sweaty and nasty, but I can at least be up and moving around if I choose to be. If we are busy, I'm hauling gear and climbing stairs, lifting stretchers etc. all "for time" as the WOD puts so eloquently states.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #15
David Wood

Profile:

I think more companies don't offer "wellness time" because of a well-founded fear that employees won't use it for that purpose, but instead will (a) grab a smoke (b) sit around gabbing (c) go get something to eat, or (d) all of the above.

My company health plan will kick in up to $200 / year to reimburse health club fees. I may be the only person (out of 150) that uses it.

Everyone at the company knows when and where I train (7 - 8 a.m., at a Y about a mile from the office). (I'm an "officer" of the company, and pretty visible.)

The company is mostly (60% or more) IT types, males under 35. I have a standing invitation out to anyone who would join me (they don't even have to do the WOD).

No one ever does (maybe it's me).
Old 07-21-2005, 06:02 AM   #16
Pat Janes

Profile:

Ahhhh, the joys of working from home.

Can do what I want, when I want, every damn day. And yet, somehow, I never seem to have time to anything and still only get about 6 hours of sleep most nights. Ahhh, kids.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:18 AM   #17
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
All these people getting free or offset gym membership costs make me jealous... :-) Only 3 weeks till I move and start my own garage gym!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Dan-

We have all the emergency stuff covered...that is cheap! Errant spear...hmmm
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #19
Dan Silver

Profile:

Glad to hear it cuz I, for one, ain't wheeling your impaled arse around the nut-ward.

-D.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #20
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Pavel throws around a quote I've always liked - "Our Communist enemies, who are trying to bury us, take exercise breaks instead of coffee breaks." Kinda makes it clear, doesn't it? Healthy people = better workers/soldiers/moms and dads.