CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-22-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
whose ancient?!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
I've got a couple of guys at the engine house who make comments about my diet (one who told me that he was unaware of any MEN who actually ate whole wheat pita bread). Of course, here in the south, everything is flavored with fat and deep fried - TWICE.

What I don't understand is how some firefighters can eat the junk they do and let themselves get so out of shape when they know that their lives, the lives of their fellow firefighters, and the lives of innocent civilians may well depend on their being in top condition when an "alarm of fire with people trapped" comes in. God forbid that I ever have to go to a line of duty death funeral of one of my coworkers and face his widow, and then walk away wondering if I could have brought her husband out alive if I had only been in better shape.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I have always been the wierd one at my desk job. My change in diet over the last year hasn't changed that much.

Of course now I am the 'Fitness Guru'. So if anyone has any workout questions or diet questions they come to me - I am alright with that ACCEPT

almost all of them smoke.

Of course my advice always starts with "Quit smoking . . . go to CrossFit, and. . ."
Old 07-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
Dan Silver

Profile:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/12152.jpg

"Don't be that guy."

-D.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #15
William Hunter

Profile:
PCU...sweet reference Dan.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #16
Stephen Solano

Profile:
My co-workers are always watching the foods I eat, waiting to critique my food choices.

I almost met pukie when I saw a dispatcher dip Vienna Sausages into a jar of mayo...
Old 07-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #17
Carl Herzog

Profile:
Being treated like an outcast is never fun. William Hunter's comments above are right on for a few folks. Mostly, though, these are people that see your lifestyle choices as an indictment of their own. It makes them look too clearly in the mirror - figuratively and literally - and they don't like what they see. A compassionate response (which sometimes means no response at all) seems to be the best approach.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #18
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
So, Carl, I'm guessing my telling one of these guys to "Shut your mouth, drop the freakin' twinkie, get up off your fat a$$ and come torture yourself with me." is not exactly what you would recommend? I am partly kidding when I say this, but for some reason, firefighters tend to respond favorably to such abuse.

I got two more of the guys in my engine house to try a WOD with me today. It was the 45# overhead lunge/burpee one from a couple of days ago. Even with reducing the number of burpees per round, they found it very challenging. I think they want to do another WOD our next day on. Told you they got into abuse!:-)
Old 07-23-2005, 08:04 PM   #19
Joe Luckett

Profile:

A compassionate response (which sometimes means no response at all) seems to be the best approach.

Why?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #20
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I don't really care what people say about my diet. I lost almost sixty pounds in about seven months, so they can kiss my you-know-what.

Of course, now that I've put on about ten pounds since my fight in April, everyone is real quick to point that out.

Oh well, they have also noticed that my shoulders have ballooned and my traps are getting big too.

Oh yeah, Dan, where do you find this stuff?