CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Andrew Bell

Profile:
Re: New T-Nation Steroid Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Not to mention the beating professional athletes put their bodies through, one of the biggest advantages of PED use is to help them recover. If we allowed doctors to administer these things the negative risks would be heavily limited. While there are certainly potential negative side effects, science has come a long way and proper use can really limit those.

I too will step off my soap box
When you think of the R&D that could be done with new drugs and link it back to what some PED's were created for, there is legitimate thought to new advances in the medical field that help in many things outside of sports performance. One VERY common PED was created to help burn victims maintain muscles. Think of the recourse of backward appliance that new R&D could have.....

But I digress..... again......
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I just want to give the guy this much credit:

'Bodybuilders are A-okay with the giant pink elephant in the room. But, just mention any word that is suffixed in "-one" among the CrossFitteratti and fifteen lawyers get on an airplane."

I lol'd at "CrossFitteratti"
Old 05-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
Seems like he is just saying what everybody else is saying. If they want to write a thoughtful article at this stage in the game, they should start sharing what type of PEDs they think these guys are using, how they can beat the system and the pro/con line-up for taking certain PEDs. What are the effects of coming off a cycle? How long do you maintain the benefits? Are they beating the tests and continuing to use or do they have "on and off" periods.

There will be clean and dirty people, not everybody is going to get caught, so it will always be speculation until somebody creates an unbeatable test.

I am in the "AGAINST" crowd for PED use, as I view it as cheating (in a competition) and dangerous/fear of negative side-affects (if not in competition). However, when people write these articles like they are "in the know" about people juicing, gearing, whatever they call it... why not start sharing some more detail? To protect the secrets of the cheaters, because guys like him are the ones who help them figure it out?

With that being said, I am a hypocrit for PED use in sports where it is known that all top competitors use PEDs. Like cycling or weightlifting (on the international stage). If all of your compeition is using PEDs, then you may as well make take them or not bother competing. Or start housing 2 different categories: people on PEDs and people all-natural. Doesn't matter, I suppose, people cheat at almost everything. Sports, tests, business, video games... you name it, somebody is trying to get more bang for their buck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Very interesting read for sure. Nothing new here having said that. I don't think it is even worth him sharing specifics of what drugs to use , how to beat tests etc..
The majority of the CF Community I suspect is in complete denial about this as it stands so why the details?

Any minute now we will hear the author discredited I suspect. :roll eyes:
Why would a guy who in part makes a living from helping athletes beat tests, as well as designing their cycles go and give all that information for free, furthermore why would he go give all this information for people who administer the test to find it EASILY and then change/rectify the shortcomings of said tests.

A note on the having tested vs untested leagues/divisions, is that you then get what happens in bodybuilding where there are tested and untested shows, SO MANY competitors actually are on stuff but either aren't good enough or crappy genetics or don't want to get bigger decide to compete juiced in the tested division to get a leg up. To make drug testing harder they'd have to include a polygraph as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Any minute now we will hear the author discredited I suspect. :roll eyes:
Well, you asked for it...

This guy runs his website in partnership with Anthony Roberts, you may recognize that name from the other steroid article that came out saying whom he thought was using steroids, etc.

These guys aren't out to shed light on anything, they're out to try to recruit people to use their services. I don't know specifically about Romano, but Anthony Roberts (real name is Anthony Roberts Connors, do a little research on him...) is a known extortionist and pathological liar.

The fact that Romano associates with Anthony Roberts Connors is enough for me to consider him a fallible source of information.

The fact that they have to host their website in Mexico is also a good indicator about the credibility of these guys.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post

This guy runs his website in partnership with Anthony Roberts, you may recognize that name from the other steroid article that came out saying whom he thought was using steroids, etc.

These guys aren't out to shed light on anything, they're out to try to recruit people to use their services. I don't know specifically about Romano, but Anthony Roberts (real name is Anthony Roberts Connors, do a little research on him...) is a known extortionist and pathological liar.

The fact that Romano associates with Anthony Roberts Connors is enough for me to consider him a fallible source of information.

The fact that they have to host their website in Mexico is also a good indicator about the credibility of these guys.
Ok. Fair enough . Let me clarify . I know little about this guy but I think we all would not be shocked at all if his accusations are true . Discredit the author but not the assertion.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Why would a guy who in part makes a living from helping athletes beat tests, as well as designing their cycles go and give all that information for free, furthermore why would he go give all this information for people who administer the test to find it EASILY and then change/rectify the shortcomings of said tests.

A note on the having tested vs untested leagues/divisions, is that you then get what happens in bodybuilding where there are tested and untested shows, SO MANY competitors actually are on stuff but either aren't good enough or crappy genetics or don't want to get bigger decide to compete juiced in the tested division to get a leg up. To make drug testing harder they'd have to include a polygraph as well.
Which would be even funnier, seeing as polygraph testing is junk science.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post

Romano lives in Mexico, FYI, it would not surprise me he would host his site there.

I don't think Anthony Roberts is a pathological liar. In fact, I think he exposes a lot of truth. No one is perfect, and I am not saying he is, but your characterization is WAYYYYY over the top.

I'm not saying I agree with the article, but I also don't think you are being fair to the authors.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Brett Valego

Profile:

1. just like he said, crossfit doesn't use WADA or USADA to do the testing. so they use someone cheaper who most likely doesn't have tests that are as good.

2. even then you can most likely beat any test there is anyway. certain kinds of testosterone leave the body within days. other things such as GH and peptides can only be found through blood tests.

3. WHY would crossfit want to have a transparent legit test? then their top guys/poster children for crossfit would probably test positive and that would be disastrous for crossfit hq.

4. EVERYONE at the 'elite' level in all sports uses. it's just a matter of what they use and how much. with the high level sports, lots of money can change hands to ensure no one tests 'positive' or that positives are 'lost/not looked at'
just like he says how Lance Armstrong was the most tested athlete in the world yet never failed a test. perfect example.

5. as for what kind? i'm no expert but i'm sure most of them are on 1 or more of: some form of testosterone, oxandolone, growth hormone &/or growth hormone peptides. there's a ton of other stuff but those are the most common. and yes, girls too.

that's just my 2.5 cents
Old 05-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #19
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post
1. just like he said, crossfit doesn't use WADA or USADA to do the testing. so they use someone cheaper who most likely doesn't have tests that are as good.

2. even then you can most likely beat any test there is anyway. certain kinds of testosterone leave the body within days. other things such as GH and peptides can only be found through blood tests.

3. WHY would crossfit want to have a transparent legit test? then their top guys/poster children for crossfit would probably test positive and that would be disastrous for crossfit hq.

4. EVERYONE at the 'elite' level in all sports uses. it's just a matter of what they use and how much. with the high level sports, lots of money can change hands to ensure no one tests 'positive' or that positives are 'lost/not looked at'
just like he says how Lance Armstrong was the most tested athlete in the world yet never failed a test. perfect example.

5. as for what kind? i'm no expert but i'm sure most of them are on 1 or more of: some form of testosterone, oxandolone, growth hormone &/or growth hormone peptides. there's a ton of other stuff but those are the most common. and yes, girls too.

that's just my 2.5 cents
All accurate. I'd say while many at some point might have been on numerous compounds, you can look at certain athletes and visually see the effects of some drugs. Test + GH / Insulin is a safe bet for many.

I will never understand why so many people follow the "They don't test positive so they must not be using". In the end, who cares? Just don't be naive about it.