CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Steve Wolfe

Profile:
Lower Back issue

Apologies if some of the veterans of the forum have seen this title a 1000x's. I've searched around and haven't found a thread similar to mine to seek information from.

Was at my local box last Tuesday and the WOD was 5 rds - 3 DL @ 80% max 1RM, then 25 double unders. Prior to that did some skill work on cleans & clean press. No problems, no issues, no pain.

Next day Wednesday, the skill work was pushing the sled (250 lbs) for 100'...alternating people for 5 rounds. For the WOD, it was a 15 min AMRAP - 10 KB clean & jerks (53 lbs) followed by 100' Farmers carry (90 lbs).

I had just finished the 1st clean & jerk, was coming in from the farmers carry to set down my plates and as soon as I set the plates down, felt like my center lower back region was being twisted like a dishrag. No sharp pain nor to one side or the other. I stretched a little, arched back, leaned forward, felt ok so I finished the WOD.

Later that night and still today, it gets pretty stiff. Still no pains down the leg or butt, but if I sit in one position for any length of time, it takes a minute to get straightened back up...then I feel ok. It's like whatever position I need to move to is stiff & sore, but once I stretch to that direction of soreness for a few seconds it seems to be ok.

Not sure what approach to take here. I don't feel as if it's serious enough to see a Dr. They will simply want to give me some anti-inflammatories and recommend stretches to do. Not sure if a chiropractor is in order either. Almost 2 years ago I herniated a lower disc and after a couple of weeks of it not getting better, I finally succumbed to a friend of mine that practices. Told him I didn't trust "his people" (lol), and he laughed it off and asked me to give him 6 treatments. After those 6 treatments, I was about 90% back to health. Or maybe I get myself back to my box and perform modified WOD's to the best capacity I can.

Thoughts? Opinions?

It's only been a week since I've been to my box, but I'm feeling guilty for not being there, plus I'm making decent progress in terms of weight loss & strength gains that I don't want to lose.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Lower Back issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolfe View Post
Apologies if some of the veterans of the forum have seen this title a 1000x's. I've searched around and haven't found a thread similar to mine to seek information from.

Was at my local box last Tuesday and the WOD was 5 rds - 3 DL @ 80% max 1RM, then 25 double unders. Prior to that did some skill work on cleans & clean press. No problems, no issues, no pain.

Next day Wednesday, the skill work was pushing the sled (250 lbs) for 100'...alternating people for 5 rounds. For the WOD, it was a 15 min AMRAP - 10 KB clean & jerks (53 lbs) followed by 100' Farmers carry (90 lbs).

I had just finished the 1st clean & jerk, was coming in from the farmers carry to set down my plates and as soon as I set the plates down, felt like my center lower back region was being twisted like a dishrag. No sharp pain nor to one side or the other. I stretched a little, arched back, leaned forward, felt ok so I finished the WOD.

Later that night and still today, it gets pretty stiff. Still no pains down the leg or butt, but if I sit in one position for any length of time, it takes a minute to get straightened back up...then I feel ok. It's like whatever position I need to move to is stiff & sore, but once I stretch to that direction of soreness for a few seconds it seems to be ok.

Not sure what approach to take here. I don't feel as if it's serious enough to see a Dr. They will simply want to give me some anti-inflammatories and recommend stretches to do. Not sure if a chiropractor is in order either. Almost 2 years ago I herniated a lower disc and after a couple of weeks of it not getting better, I finally succumbed to a friend of mine that practices. Told him I didn't trust "his people" (lol), and he laughed it off and asked me to give him 6 treatments. After those 6 treatments, I was about 90% back to health. Or maybe I get myself back to my box and perform modified WOD's to the best capacity I can.

Thoughts? Opinions?

It's only been a week since I've been to my box, but I'm feeling guilty for not being there, plus I'm making decent progress in terms of weight loss & strength gains that I don't want to lose.
If you have already experienced good results with a chiropractor you know, why wait?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Chiro worked once...I would go back. Add some deep tissue muscle work as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Zach Long

Profile:

like Brian and Glenn said, why wait? Get in early and shouldn't be near as hard for DC/PT to get you better vs waiting and things getting worse
Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Steven Wingo

Profile:

If it were me I'd go to the chiropractor. Your injury is their expertise--they trained for years to treat that type of injury and do it all day long. The last time I tweaked my back was with KBs as well--KB snatches for me that day in a metcon following some tough front squats. About half a day after I went to the chiropractor I was feeling at least 50% better. Three treatments and I was pain free.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Steve Wolfe

Profile:

Right on....thanks for the advice fellas. Making the appt now.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Steve Wolfe

Profile:

Alrighty....so for the last few days my back has been feeling great. Went to my box last night hoping to get some work in. Especially since I've been sidelined since the day before T-Giving. Went through my stretches and warm up no issues. Our skill for the day was to perform front squats 6x3 @ 80% of max. I did 3 sets of very light weight and again felt great. Got on the 3rd rep of my 4th set for the 80% load, and felt a quick decisive "squeeze" with mild pain in the same area as was previously sore. So I stopped and asked my coach if I could still perform the skill & WOD but at a significantly lower weight. He stated, "I don't want you doing anything for the rest of the night."

My question would be, would anyone recommend me performing workouts at very light weights, or should I put the lifting on the shelf until I can do 100% of the weight I should be doing?

Obviously I don't want to shelf my workouts and lose any progressions I've made. By still performing at much, much lighter weight (w/out pain) I would think that something is better than nothing. On the other hand, I don't want to be sidelined for an excessive amount of time either.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Kyle B Cooke

Profile:

Make sure to be using cold compression therapy after you go to the gym and you will prevent inflammation which will cause your back to get stiff and painful again and prevent you from getting back to the gym sooner. If it's an injury that requires stretching (blood flow) to recover than a blood flow stimulator (BFST) will benefit you and allow you to prevent re-aggravation by avoiding stretches to increase blood flow and by using it pre-workout to increase elasticity.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Personally I would recommend staying away from 80% of your max loads for a while. Stay with what feels good and slowly add weight and/or volume back in.

Short of it, don't rush it. I would also be very selective on WOD's and program around your issues for a bit.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Steve Wolfe

Profile:

Never heard of a BFST. Seems as if it could work for a myriad of issues. I've been hitting the ibuprofen and heat in the morning, followed by ice & more ibuprofen in the evening. Completely understand the need to lay off a little. It's just I don't want to lose progress...it's been hard work getting to the point to where I am...and I have a ways to go!