CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
hey ive been on the zone diet for 3 days now and the fisrt day i tried the 15 blocks ( was starving), 2nd day I tried around 19, a little better but today i weighed myself and holy s*! i've lost 5 pounds in 2 days and some considerable size and what seems muscle mass. I do the cf warmup,cf wod, and am 175 lbs lean body mass and (now) 200lbs with the hunger of an ape. what do you think ? should I go up to 21,22 blocks? should I keep the 5,5,2,5,2 schedule for meals?my body seems to require alot of food to maintain, maybe high metabolism? but from what I read I should only 1 pound per week on average, it seems I am way under the food consumption.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Kevin,
I know off the top of my head that 15 blocks was way too few for a guy of your lean body mass. I forget the exact equation from the Mastering the Zone book, you want to follow that.

Most of the size (what you are seeing yourself losing) you picture yourself losing is not muscle mass--it is a combination of water (both from eating cleaner in general, and less dairy, and less glycogen storage with its associated water) and bodyfat (not much in three days). Trust me, when you are on the right block amount, you'll be okay. Bodyfat can be very deceiving in terms of how we perceive our muscular size.

Get your blocks straight and eat well. I skip the snacks and go with a bigger dinner--I feel better that way. You'll be all right, trust me.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
k doc you're the man, ill have to play with it for a month, do you think stomach growling all the time is right though?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Yes, you'll be okay. Your body has gotten used to too much food, and thus became inefficient at processing normal amounts of food.

Get your quality foods. Your protein requirement will be taken care of. Eventually your body will become used to less food and doing more with it, as opposed to what it is used to now.

Believe me, I'm moving more towards the IF (Intermittent Fasting) plan and I'm hungry during the day now. I trust that I am getting enough nutrition and that the hunger will eventually subside.

What is your corrected block number? I'd like to know...
Old 04-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
corrected block number? If you mean what am I trying now, i'm trying 21 blocks today, i feel better. also i'm adding calestenics to my wod instead of the warmup, it makes me stronger, I actually am loosely basing it off this link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h84m5...kout%20Fitness
Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Depending on your activity level you should be somewhere between 18 blocks (via the standard crossfit recommendation of the .7 multiplier) and 25 blocks by the 1.0 multiplier. How much exercise do you get per-week? This will let you know where you stand. If you have doubts, go with something like .8 or .85 and see how you feel after a week or so. This would equal around 20-22 blocks.

Keep us updated.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Kevin,
Stick with the 21 blocks for a week, then update us.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:52 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
18, kind of like I said in my last post...to repeat, go down one or up one.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ok ill try 21 for now , larry, I will have to juggle, no offense larry, just everyone is different. I see chris forbis is actually at 23 and he's not a big guy so we'll have to see.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Paul Findley

Profile:
Remember to keep drinking water.