CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I was reading an article on some of the progress in sciences utilizing DNA mapping and so forth to better health. When asked about what will be possible in the next 20 years in these sciences a "leading DNA researcher" replied. "We should be able to develop a pill that will allow someone to eat as much as they want and not gain weight." WHAT!?! ARGGHHH. Not, we'll have a cure for cancer, or be able to repair severly damaged tissue, or a vaccene for XXX, but the first thing he responds with is a pill so we can be gluttons and not suffer weight gain from it? Holy cow we've got our priorities twisted. Sorry, had to vent to a community that would understand my frustration.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
I totally agree, Roger. It sounds like that was a marketing statement vs a scientific statement. He will probably receive donations from half of the people in Hollywood to the tune of millions of dollars who will want to help invest in the research. He will become wealthy, retire and years from now, chuckle about the 'marketing ploy of 2005'.
I am waiting for the 'doctor' who comes up with 'ab implants' for the overnight 6 pack!!! It will be a special package offer....lypo and ab implants for ONLY $728,000!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Keep in mind that it may have been that his comments were extensive but that the reporter only had (or made) room for a small snippet with the most "splash". It may also be true that we could have a pill to do that, not that there would be anything good with that. Finally, it is likely that leading DNA researchers are more concerned with the minutiae of DNA/gene control than the social ramifications of it.

There may be a red-faced "leading DNA researcher" pacing some hallowed halls this morning.

The fact that a reporter would pick this statement from many, if what I'm supposing is true, still does make your point about how our priorities are twisted.

Nonetheless, the closer we get to that degree of control, the better, in terms of understanding and controlling diseases like you listed. Recently, a vaccine against breast cancer has had some success. That's a big step in the right direction. (Not that you were arguing against that!)

Now getting people to think for themselves about disease prevention and health instead of treatment after the fact, well, that would be fantastic.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
They already have that pill, it's called EXLAX!:biggrin:
Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
Nikki Young

Profile:
Skip - There already are ab implants! There are around 100-200 surgeries a year (just in US i think). Costs around $4,000 to $7,000! There are also upper arm implants, 300-400 people a year will get this done for a cost of around $7,000-$10,000.

AND, you can also get some new gluteals :wink: 200-300 people will get this done a year for around $6,000-$10,000. Maybe some new calves? 300-400 people a year for $5,000-$8,000. Pecs?? 700-800 people a year will get this done for $5,000-$8,000.

And with the pill ... isn't there already pills that say they do this?? Not sure if they are on the market as yet, but there are SO many things that promise weight loss. Its SO stupid, these people who want rapid results obviously don't understand that a year after their surgery (or whatever they do), they will be fat again because of there lifestyle habits haven't changed! If they just change that they won't have to spend thousands of dollars on a pill or lypo.

I saw this 'thing' on the news the other day, some new invention for ultimate fat loss, there is only one in the world designed in some european country (can't remember which) ... it was like a tube or something you go through and i don't know what happens! But yeah ... it's suppose to be the next best thing!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
Ed Northcott

Profile:  
That's just the ultimate extension of bodybuilding though, isn't it Nikki? Actual health, well-being, and functional ability have become a distant second to appearance in society, and bodybuilding has been the most extreme reflection of that for decades.

Now there's the option of just going out and blowing the bucks on an instant make-over. Muscles that do absolutely nothing, except make someone look better -- and even that's a subjective measure.

Every now and again I feel like I'm looking at the modern reflection of Rome. I know it's a trite viewpoint, but stuff like this automatically raises that bitter ire in me.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:16 AM   #7
Nikki Young

Profile:
Yeah for sure. Obviously the implants have no benefit towards actual muscular improvements in reguards to strength/power. So it would be something for bodybuilders/models/people who want to look good but couldn't be bothered putting in any effort for natural results.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
We live in a culture where it would be "better" to have the benefits of self discipline (health, fitness, etc) without actually needing to exercise self discipline. For some reason, Matt G comes to mind here for me. He is so highly self disciplined and always learning. Most of us crossfitters are. But the general population is not. And does not value that kind of self discipline.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #9
Ed Northcott

Profile:  
Hell, yeah. I hear you there, Beth.

Dead truth is, I'm damned lazy compared to most of you lot. ;) I'm working toward adapting to the Crossfit principles, but at the moment I'm still nowhere near success.

But I've been into weight lifting for years (working with Leistner's HIT ideas). The idea of working out 'till exhaustion, and sometimes vomitting, had my friends thinking I was nuts. Bringing a zip-lock baggie full of protein powder on vacation so that I could dump it in little cartons of milk for irregular protein fixes had me labelled a fanatic.

Yet in spite of the labels, they'll turn around and complain about how they can't loose fat, build muscle, etc. Go figure.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Beth,

You are right. The general public, sees somebody like Matt G., disciplined and focused, and they do nothing except try to label them a freak.

They should instead be looking at that person as an example of what they should be doing, but instead say stuff like, I wouldn't want to live that way. They don't understand how much more fulfilling it is to obtain your functionality through good hard work.

For me, the sense of accomplisment from eating well and doing a good workout that other people wouldn't attempt is at least as important as the functionality I have gained.

Nikky,

Wow, I could not imagine enduring the risks of surgery, in order to implant something that would not remotely affect my health or performance.

How many of those people you listed getting implants will die of infection, or from a reaction to anesthesia as a complication of their surgery?