CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Scott Christensen

Profile:
collapsed after max weight deadlift...

On Christmas day I became bored and decided to go do some heavy deadlifts. i spent about 40 minutes increasing weight and resting between sets. I had my partner with me just hanging out. I load up 314 lbs which is 10 lbs over my old max. I set up and pull the weight with ease. Once I let go of the weight everything went fuzzy. I woke up on the floor with my arms and legs shaking. I could hear and see everything but was unable to speak or stop my convulsions. shortly after the shaking stopped and I could sit up. I felt fine after but am worried about what exactly happened. I don't have seizures and have never even felt faint before. Any comments or thoughts on this would be much appreciated. P.S. On a happier note I'm stoked i managed to make the lift...
Old 12-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: collapsed after max weight deadlift...

You spiked your blood pressure by holding your breath--it happens occasionally on squats or deads, or when people rack the bar right on their carotid artery during a clean and don't get enough blood and oxygen to their brain. You can avoid it by breathing out slightly during the rep--no more than a little hiss though, because too much exhaling may cause you to lose some intraabdominal pressure and spine stability.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8RcDb_wZfQ

w/f/s
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Scott Christensen

Profile:

yes, something like that but with better form on the lift...lol it was scary waking up seizing...
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I've never passed on out a heavy squat or deadlift but had something similar happen a few months back while I was trying to grind out a 1RM weighted ring dip. I fell backwards, things got dizzy and went in slow motion, then I remember looking back up at the rings while I flopped around a little. It seemed like a while but people who saw it said it was only about 5 seconds, then I felt fine after.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Lou Cabales

Profile:

You probably just FAINTED aka vasovagal snyncope

Actually is more than likely a drop in blood pressure (hypotension) a result of complex response to increased intrathoracic pressure, partially in response to valsalva maneuver (aka bearing down), stimulating vagus nerve

google: vasovagal response/syncope

However the convulsions are a bit concerning. It could be just returning to consciousness. I'd suggest you contact MD regarding episode to rule out anything more serious.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Don't do any heavy DLs for a while, and if you're doing anything heavy make sure to blow out through pursed lips instead of hold your breath