CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Bill Houghton

Profile:
CrossFit Chiropractors?

Hello,

Any other chiropractors who have tasted the Cool Aid? I have a small spce in my office to start training clients in. PVC pipe, Plyo boxes, rowers, sand bags instead of barbells (wood floor and 8 ft. ceiling), Dynamax balls, parallettes. Anything else you can think of in a small space?

Dr. Dave Whitty just had an article "Muscling Through It" in the CF Journal. He's a practicing chiropractor who has implimented CF into his office. It would be great to know if there are more of us.

Bill Houghton, DC
Marquette, Michigan
Mqtnmu@chartermi.net
Old 05-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
John Casey

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Chiropractors?

Bill,

Completely off topic (although I think what you're doing is awesome), but I have a question. Well, first a statement. In high school, my best friend's dad did all my chiropractic work. I've never had anyone else work on me, but I think going to the chiropractor is GLORIOUS. I get home maybe once a year now, so I don't get to see him often. I'm hesitant to try anyone else. What should I look for in shopping around for a good chirpractor?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Dale Kimberlin

Profile:

Bill, I have been crossfitting since the begining of the year and followed the website for about a year before that. First exposed to crossfit during James Chestnut wellness certification series.

One day soon I plan to go to a level 1 cert.

Glad to make your acquaintance

Dale Kimberlin DC
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Chris Terry

Profile:

Bill, this sounds like a great idea. I do think that scaling will be crucial as we see mostly (at least in our office) way deconditioned individuals with the need(s) for proper dietary regulation, intro to correct movements and pain reduction. I am excited to see how it goes for you. Best of luck!

Chris Terry, DC
Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Chris Terry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Casey View Post
Bill,

Completely off topic (although I think what you're doing is awesome), but I have a question. Well, first a statement. In high school, my best friend's dad did all my chiropractic work. I've never had anyone else work on me, but I think going to the chiropractor is GLORIOUS. I get home maybe once a year now, so I don't get to see him often. I'm hesitant to try anyone else. What should I look for in shopping around for a good chirpractor?
John, I think you should look for someone who is evidenced-based/informed. Ask about treatment plans, techniques they use, what they think of rehab...Also, if you are being sold a long-term care plan RUN AWAY! My .02.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Corey Duvall

Profile:

I am a recent grad who opened his own private practice, The Stay Active Clinic (www.stayactiveclinic.com). The whole paradigm is similar to Kelly Starrett's, inability to perform some basic movements efficiently, effectively, safely, and under greater load than your needs will lead to injury and chronic pain. I utilize manual therapy (deep tissue release, neuromobilization, and joint manipulation) along with functional rehabilitation. I also am co-owner of CrossFit Asheville. I see some patient's in my chiropractic office who do mostly body-weight rehab (the more deconditioned). I also see patients who are CrossFitters and competitive gymnasts. Their problems typically resolve with some manual therapy and a little more guided coaching in the gym.

Great to see others out there. I learned a great deal about history taking just from reading the "injury" message board on here. Told me more about patient's description of symptoms than a didactic lecture ever could.

Has anyone developed their own protocols? What determines your typical progression of care?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Bill Houghton

Profile:

Dale, Corey and Chris,

Thanks for your responses. Excellent. I would like to exchange information here on rehab, CrossFit, care models, etc...

John, +1 on what Chris said.

Dale, I also learned of CF from Dr. Chestnut's wellness program. Started CF in Aug 08.

Bill
Old 05-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
Chris Terry

Profile:

Corey, that is an awesome set-up. I wish I had been exposed to CF before chiro college b/c I know that would have changed my perspective on LOTS of the schooling I had as well as my current business model. How is the set-up working out so far? It sounds great! Bill, I think that is a fantastic idea. Great to get to know other chiros who CF.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

I am so thankful to have found this link! A brief history about myself...I have been CrossFitting for 2 years, and after having completed my PhD last year, I decided to make a career change. I have just finished my first year of chiropractic school at Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in Toronto and I couldn't be more excited about the decision to pursue a career in this field. However, I have met very few chiropractors that participate in or advocate for CrossFit. I'm wondering if any of you have had similar experiences?

Some of my classmates (who are somewhat familiar with CF), are highly critical of this style of training, mostly due to how hard we push ourselves (i.e., our bodies). It seems that many people are uncomfortable with the level of intensity at which we train on a regular basis, and feel that it is unsafe to advise "regular people/patients" to train in this manner. For those of you already in practice, I am curious to know if/how you have gone about incorporating CF into your treatment plans. Do you recommend CF to everyone (I'm using this term broadly), or only to patients with specific training goals?

And one final comment/question (I have so many!). I recognize that DCs have extensive training in anatomy and biomechanics, and as such, I'm wondering what some of you think about particular "CF movements" and how they may affect the spine, intervertebral discs, and paraspinal musculature. More specifically, I am concerned about the effects of repetitive compressive forces that are imposed on the back when performing full ROM sit-ups, or knees-to-elbows for example (namely, movements that put the lumbar spine into flexion while under relatively high compressive force). Although my knowledge of biomechanics is relatively limited, I have encountered literature (see research from Dr. Stu McGill's lab) showing that we are ill-advised to perform and recommend these kinds of movements.

Thank you for giving me a place to communicate these ideas, and I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Christine, MSc, PhD, & DC in training
Old 06-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #10
Todd Dent

Profile:

In. I'm 10 months from graduation currently and have been crossfitting for about a year. I recommend it to all of my current patients and will be implementing it when I get into practice.

I love this stuff.

Todd