CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
A tasty treat for Zone (and I think Paleo) followers

I have been following Zone eating practices since July (and love it!), but in some situations, it can be a bit difficult to have 'real food' with you. I recently came across a company called Honeybar (http://www.honeybar.ca/home.htm) that makes really delicious bars (link is w/fs). The 'natural bars' use only natural ingredients and the company also offers some organic products. My favourites are the Mixed Sesame and the Flax Mixture. I usually add one block of protein to go with the bar to make a 2 block snack (with extra fat). Just thought I'd share this discovery.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: A tasty treat for Zone (and I think Paleo) followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Reinhart View Post
I have been following Zone eating practices since July (and love it!), but in some situations, it can be a bit difficult to have 'real food' with you. I recently came across a company called Honeybar (http://www.honeybar.ca/home.htm) that makes really delicious bars (link is w/fs). The 'natural bars' use only natural ingredients and the company also offers some organic products. My favourites are the Mixed Sesame and the Flax Mixture. I usually add one block of protein to go with the bar to make a 2 block snack (with extra fat). Just thought I'd share this discovery.
I have seen those but personally they are just glorified "candy bars" packaged in a healthy looking wrapper! I much rather prefer eating real food or a couple of raw nuts. And if I ate that much sugar (clearly honey is SUGAR), I would have a terrible insulin high!!
A great 1 block snack, which is highly portable, is 1 small tangerine or 1/2 apple with 1 hard boiled egg and 3 almonds.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

Sarena, do you really think they are "glorified candy bars"? Bearing in mind that the ingredient list for most of their products contains nuts, seeds, fruit, and honey (all words that one can actually pronounce), I thought that these would be a nutritionally sound choice. Don't get me wrong, it is rare that I am unable to use 'whole foods' to fulfill my Zone meal requirements, but I thought that in those instances when it isn't possible, these would be a good alternative, no? I appreciate your comments, and respect your opinions, so please set me straight if you think I am missing something.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Now, envisioning one tangerine, 1/2 apple, 1 hard boiled egg and tree almonds on a plate just looks funny. (Not that we would put these snacks on a plate or anything). Christine, not that food labels are always correct, but you're fine with the bar and I'm sure the ingredients really are natural. Honey is the most natural form of sweetener there is so don't mind that. Also, I work as FF/PM assigned to a busy rescue. I can't always have the perfect "real foods" with me, sometimes I don't have any all and I get really hungry and really ****ed off. That just happens sometimes. I think having the bar would be a good substitute to any of the other real foods when time is crunched or a place to store more food is limited. Works for me.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Truth be told if I had to have a bar --it would be a Lara bar. Never more than 5 ingredients derived from nuts and fruits. No extra sweeteners. I am known to indulge but rarely
Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I think calling them a 'glorified candy bar' is a bit much. If all you care about is glycemic index and insulin response, maybe they may have similar reactions. But if you care about what you put into your body... I would rather put honey into my body than whatever is in the large ingredient list on a snickers.

I have never tried the honey bar though, as I don't really eat bars. On 12 blocks I would be starving if I wasted a large chunk of them on a bar! When it is the weekend I eat more so I will have a lara bar usually, my favorite so far is the apple pie! mmm.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
I think calling them a 'glorified candy bar' is a bit much. If all you care about is glycemic index and insulin response, maybe they may have similar reactions. But if you care about what you put into your body... I would rather put honey into my body than whatever is in the large ingredient list on a snickers.

I have never tried the honey bar though, as I don't really eat bars. On 12 blocks I would be starving if I wasted a large chunk of them on a bar! When it is the weekend I eat more so I will have a lara bar usually, my favorite so far is the apple pie! mmm.
And my favorite is the Choc Mint!