CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Andy Juskelis

Profile:
My problem with yogurt... vanilla or none at all? (Zone)

I like the idea of yogurt. I especially like that it's a combo (1 block protein and carb for 1/2 cup). It makes my last 2-block snack of the day very easy (1 cup yogurt with almonds).

However, I absolutely, positively, can't do plain yogurt. I've tried. I've tried whole, skim, low-fat, nothing really works. I can't stand the taste of it. I can however do vanilla yogurt. I noticed the other day it contains (organic) sugar.

I know the idea of the Zone is to avoid processed sugar like this. However I'm wondering... do the nutritional benefits (and ease) of flavored/sweetened yogurt outweigh the extra calories from the sugar? Would I be better off just finding something else to fill out my 2 block snack?

For the record I'm using Stoneyfield organic brand. Would the Fat Free or Lowfat vanilla be a good compromise?

I'm all about whole foods down to creamline milk, so I'd like to know what a few of you think.

--Andy
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: My problem with yogurt... vanilla or none at all? (Zone)

Did you seriously ask people who started a bacon thread if you should switch to the lowfat version of anything?

Try it with chopped up fruits, blended in a smoothie (again with fruit), with chopped nuts or anything else that would improve the flavor. You could also try dipping thing in it and eating it like that. Again fruit or bacon.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Sugary yogurt =/= 2 block snack. Normal yogurt block accounting calls for low-fat. Add nuts or grapes or something, assuming they fit the 2 block mold.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

I add cinnamon and shredded coconut to my plain yogurt, and love it. Just a suggestion you might want to try...
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Organic sugar is still added sugar--all that means is that no artificial fertilizers were used on the sugarcane. You can still make it Zone-friendly, just read the nutrition label and go by the 9g of carbs=1 carb block rule. The Zone charts are set up for unsweetened yogurt.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Reinhart View Post
I add cinnamon and shredded coconut to my plain yogurt, and love it. Just a suggestion you might want to try...
winner! You could also try mixing in real vanilla, or other real foods into it. This is how flavor was added in the olden days. Bacon also goes well with just about anything.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Make tzatziki: add lemon juice, garlic, and cucumber to your plain yogurt. Excellent accompaniment for Greek and most Middle Eastern food.

Or raita, which adds cucumber and mint and serves a similar function with Indian food.

Katherine
Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Bacon and yogurt? I'm pretty sure that would make me gag.

I have a hard time eating regular plain yogurt but it was almost palatable with cut up fruit. I was trying frozen berries and it turned into a disgusting gooey mush. I did this because otherwise fresh berries go bad real fast and are expensive.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Dude;

You need to grow a bigger pair!!!!!!!!!!

In the scope of the life, "I can't eat yogurt" ranks right up there with "not being able to squeeze a zit in the middle of your back"(btw, that's what Good friends are for).

As to yogurt, except for non flavored, high quality stuff, it's pretty much liquid candy, which most men and very strong women DON"T eat.

In fact, the only reason Jamie and I(not together btw) even go down that aisle and hang at the dairy case is. 1. We're checking out the yoga moms coming from class. 2. It's rather chilly around that area of the store and, well, we"re checking out yoga moms coming from class, hot, drippy yoga moms, if you catch my drift.

Back to your major yogurt dilemma. MAKE your own, it's so friggin easy, then add WHAT every you need to add to eat/drink the stuff.

Consider buying / making Kefir, same aisle, same yoga moms. That stuff makes yogurt look really lame, wait, yogurt is really lame. Google Kefir.

Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
Andy Juskelis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Dude;

You need to grow a bigger pair!!!!!!!!!!

In the scope of the life, "I can't eat yogurt" ranks right up there with "not being able to squeeze a zit in the middle of your back"(btw, that's what Good friends are for).

As to yogurt, except for non flavored, high quality stuff, it's pretty much liquid candy, which most men and very strong women DON"T eat.

In fact, the only reason Jamie and I(not together btw) even go down that aisle and hang at the dairy case is. 1. We're checking out the yoga moms coming from class. 2. It's rather chilly around that area of the store and, well, we"re checking out yoga moms coming from class, hot, drippy yoga moms, if you catch my drift.

Back to your major yogurt dilemma. MAKE your own, it's so friggin easy, then add WHAT every you need to add to eat/drink the stuff.

Consider buying / making Kefir, same aisle, same yoga moms. That stuff makes yogurt look really lame, wait, yogurt is really lame. Google Kefir.

Good Luck.
Haha, Jay, are you related to Riptoe by any chance? Thanks for your info.

The problem with adding fruit is it throws off the carb blocks that I have to counter with more protein, and my once easy 2-block snack is complicated. I'll just deal with it though, since the added sugar thing really doesn't sit well in the back of my mind.