CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Rachel Crandall

Profile:
Zone energy leak?

I have been doing CF for about a year and started Zone about 6-7 weeks ago. I still weigh and measure. The first week I hit many new PRs and lost 5 lbs. Great week!

Now I feel like I am gradually losing strength and the weight has stayed the same. (I am fine with my weight staying where it is at.) Now my body starts to shake the last five minutes of a work out and it takes a good 20 min after a protein shake to stop the tremors.

The zone calculator says I am 11 blocks (Active female, 5'7" 126 lb 22BF) avg 5 CF sessions/week. Occasionally I get hungry so I add an extra block on my snack but hunger and mental focus seem OK with 11 or 12 blocks. I have tried adding extra fat in the form of nuts but that doesn't seem to help. (how many fat blocks would I need to add?)

I think my weaknesses are:

too much fruit (~1/3 of carb blocks are fruit - but I keep it to fresh berries/melon/apples)

too much Diet Coke (I usually get a 44 oz ...I fill it full of ice though.)

I usually exercise at 8:45 pm. (I finish dinner around 7:00)

weak brain.... have a hard time pushing through the pain and I'm afraid of injury. I hate doing pullups if I think the skin is going to tear.

I use the zone measurement that favors my diet. (eg - I only count the carbs in cauliflower stated in cfj 21 list and I don't include the protien listed in the zone block book.) I pretend that I am trying to keep it real. I do have a cookie or a piece of cake on the weekend - just to keep it real.

I just want to be stronger. Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Bonny Guang

Profile:
Re: Zone energy leak?

do you sleep enough? i have never performed well without sleep. if i had to choose between my diet and sleep for performance, i would choose sleep first, diet second.

if you have lost weight, maybe you also want to get your bodyfat tested. if you gained muscle mass at the same time you will need to eat more protein/eat more in general, as muscle mass takes more calories to maintain.

and yeah, you should probably try to wean yourself off of diet coke.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Diet Coke's gotta go.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

You may not be eating enough! I say this because at 5'7", 126 lbs and

1. already at 22% BF
2. lost 5 lbs in a week
3. PERFORMANCE is suffering!!!
4. you just "want to be stronger"

Start by making most of your carbs low GI vegetables calif, broc, etc.

Double you fat blocks (remember it is really 3 grams of fat per block when you start upping fat blocks) so if you are on 12 blocks you need an EXTRA 36 grams of fat to be at 2x fat. It gets confusing because initially you only count 1.5 grams of fat per block because of the hidden fat in lean protein.

You may even need to go to 3x fat and get an extra 72 grams of fat per day. In addition to your baseline of 18 counted fat grams.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

I would also suggest more food and/or upping the fat blocks. I have been CFing (5X per week) and Zoning for about a year and I eat 12 blocks with 2X fat. I'm 5'4", 105#, and ~15%BF. Energy is good, and I'm considering adding another block because I too want to be stronger. Just keep tweaking until you get it right. It can be a little frustrating, but it's worth it!