CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:
CHRONIC shin splints

Does anyone know anything about wraps or taping??

I had chronic shin splints that I ran into fractures (and kept running on them) early into my military career, which ulitmately got me discharged 3 yrs later. i swore off running until i started crossfit. i only run about 400m at a time (anything longer i usually row), but I'm still in a TON of pain all the time. Docs just tell me to stay off it, and that is an unacceptable answer at this point, esp since this has been going on for about SEVEN years.
I've gone the sneaker rout and ice and the whole 9 yards.. now im willing to tape my legs if i have to (Hey, race horses do it). I'm not looking to run marathons, i just want to get through a mile without limping away from it.

any insight???
Old 09-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Daniel Watts

Profile:
Re: CHRONIC shin splints

Hey,

I've been suffering from shin splints for about 3 years now. I am finally getting them under control. I went to a chiropractor and got fitted for orthotics. The chiropractor also massages the part of my shin that he says is "grisly". I think the massaging is what is making the biggest difference, so I have been doing it at home now. It is painful, but seems to work. I always felt the pain in the bone, but I massage the muscle behind it like the chiro did. I also just picked up a new supplement called Cissus Quadrangularis. It is supposed to accelerate bone and injury healing. From what I've read, everyone who has used it swears by it. I just started yesterday and will report back when I know if it's working. I bulk ordered a month's supply in powder form for $12, it tastes kinda nasty. I tried glucosamine/chondroitin with no luck.

I felt the need to reply because I finally feel like I'm getting a hold of this problem and I totally feel your pain. I could never imagine SEVEN years of this

Good luck,

Dan
Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Danielle, I used to have shin splints all the time. They stopped when I walked barefoot EVERYWHERE for a summer and strengthening my feet up. Running in a more barefoot/POSE-type style has helped them as well.

There are also shin strengthening exercises you can do. Walking on your heels with your toes in the air, tracing the alphabet with your toes and trying to make the letters as big as possible, and standing against a wall with your heels touching the wall and lifting up your toes are good ones.

And if it hurts that badly to get through a run, don't do it! It doesn't cause me too many problems now, but early on in Crossfit I would substitute rowing for the runs. There's no shame in it if the alternative is stress fractures!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Danielle, I used to have shin splints all the time. They stopped when I walked barefoot EVERYWHERE for a summer and strengthening my feet up. Running in a more barefoot/POSE-type style has helped them as well.

There are also shin strengthening exercises you can do. Walking on your heels with your toes in the air, tracing the alphabet with your toes and trying to make the letters as big as possible, and standing against a wall with your heels touching the wall and lifting up your toes are good ones.

And if it hurts that badly to get through a run, don't do it! It doesn't cause me too many problems now, but early on in Crossfit I would substitute rowing for the runs. There's no shame in it if the alternative is stress fractures!
x2- kind of. i could not run 20 yards without getting shin splints. then i eased into it in crossfit and could not run over 5 mph for around 200 meters. well i ditched my running shoes for a pair of flat soled vans and kept at it until now i never get them at all and can run up to 10 mph for at least 400 meters can run longer at slower speeds

also dropping around 23 -25 lbs probably contributed tons to this as well
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Daniel Watts

Profile:

I forgot to add that I've also started trying to eliminate my heel strike and just land overall with less impact. Try having your foot land beneath you instead of in front of you. I guess this is kinda POSE like, but I need to read up on that some more. My advice might be total garbage, but it seems to be working for me.

See ya,

Dan
Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
Camille Lore

Profile:  

+1 for barefoot/Vibram Five Fingers running.
Also, I found that running backwards helped. Since the first time I did Griff, I don't think I've had shin splints again. I also bought new shoes at the same time (which I don't use except on 5ks now).
Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
Scott A Morris

Profile:

Danielle, I had a very bad case of shin splints about 2mo ago was off running for approx 3 weeks. I found some good information at a website called Gymnastic Bodies in which Coach Sommer discusses stretches and strengthening excercises which were effective for me. The site is Gymnastic Bodies forum discussion is under: Toe point stretches and shin splint prevention. Hope this helps, Scott
Old 09-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I've had my shin splints for about 2 years now, in different levels of severity. I've had x-rays done twice and they always come up negative for fractures, so that probably puts me just 1 step above you, Danielle, but I wouldn't say you're hopeless!

What kind of rest have you gotten as far as the fractures go? You say this has been on-going for 7 years... in that 7 years, have you taken 3-5 months of rest to allow your shins to actually heal? It can take a loooong time for stress fractures in that area to heal because even while resting, you tend to use those muscles and bones every day.

If you haven't tried already, treat them like any other broken bone, and allow them to rest and recover properly.

For mine in recent months, I've been running ball of foot, again with varying levels of success. On some runs my shin splints are as bad or worse than they were with heel-strike. On others they're just fine. Running barefoot is a great idea, as long as it's not on a hard surface. Otherwise you risk stress fractures in your feet instead... also no fun.

Myofascial release, deep tissue massage and ice seem to be the best medicine in my experience. Myofascial release with a foam roller or tennis ball hurts like hell on fresh shin splints, but I really do think it helps them feel better the next day.

I've been taking prescription strength doses of ibuprofen for the inflammation, icing for 10 minutes 2 times a day, and between now and mid October, I am not going to be doing any running at all, and any walking will be done barefoot or in my Vibrams. I feel pretty confident in this sort of recovery, but your mileage may vary.

I know your pain... they just never seem to go away.

Oh, and regarding wraps/taping -- as far as the RICE method goes, compression wraps feel greeeeaaat. I didn't have any real wraps, so I'd just use an ace bandage for a few hours a day. I don't know if I'd use it to mask the pain for running, but as far as recovery goes, I think compression works wonders for pain.

Good luck... sorry to spout off the generic "rest ice compress elevate" advice, but other than strengthening your bones/shin muscles, there's not much else to do.

Edit: The page Scott was referencing can be found here: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie....php?p=290#290 (thread is w/f/s)

Last edited by Elliot Fuller; 09-18-2008 at 07:31 AM..
Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
Danielle Marcellino

Profile:

AHH thank you all for the advice...
Elliot, I was off them for almost an entire year (I got sick and was out of the gym per doctors orders) and they felt good at first and returned faster than ever. From what the docs said when I left the Marines, apparently I tollerate a considerable amount of pain considering the fractures that I ran on for years... soo I'm afraid I'm doing WAY more damage than I know about.

I was thinking about trying something like this but havent hear ANYTHING about people using them... http://supports4less.com/bioskin/shin_splint_wrap.htm http://supports4less.com/protec/shin...essionwrap.htm PLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

This is all just extremly frustrating... I know my way around sports injuries but I can't help my self... my next move is to the docs again to get a bone scan. (by the way, xrays do not pick up fractures uless they are REEEEALLLY bad soooo Elliot, request a bone scan!!!)
Again thank you all for the info!!
be well!
~D~

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 10-14-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Marcellino View Post
This is all just extremly frustrating... I know my way around sports injuries but I can't help my self... my next move is to the docs again to get a bone scan. (by the way, xrays do not pick up fractures uless they are REEEEALLLY bad soooo Elliot, request a bone scan!!!)
Again thank you all for the info!!
be well!
~D~
Thanks for the advice. But I'd just as soon assume that I have stress fractures and get to the healing process, than fork out $1500 for a bone scan, just for a doctor to confirm it The Rx for stress fractures is gonna be R.I.C.E. anyways, so I might as well just do it and save the money, eh?

Those compression wraps look like they'd be fine, but I bet you could piece together your own for cheaper. But good luck either way... I feel your pain