CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Last night at the gym I decided to let one of the newbie personal trainers calculate my body fat hoping for good results. After taking a pinch on my bicep, tricep, mid-back, and gut, she came up with a percentage of around 24.5%. This was a great improvement over the 30% a year ago, but still I was skeptical. I seem to remember the calipers being used in a few more areas than what she used.
I welcome input as to the accuracy of the method she used and what is the best way to calculate BF.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
ron

for a better result ask for the 7 site test.
tri
sub scap
pec
mid ax
iliac
ab
thigh

should be a bit more accurate, but it also depends on how familiar the person is who is using the calipers

tanner
Old 07-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
It takes some practice (100s of skinfold tests) to become accurate and consistant with the skinfold calipers. It is also difficult to test someone with alot of bodyfat. There are alot of other methods of testing, but you know your not where you want to be and you know your better than last year! how do your clothing fit? How do you look in the mirror? Rather than make weight loss goals or %bodyfat goals, why not make preformance goals. ie I will read Mastering The Zone. I will eat 5 balanced Zone meals a day. I will complete the WOD at least three times a week, etc. Focus on things you cold do rather than bodyfat numbers and the bodyfat will drop. Diet is very important and (as you know) it's going to take time. Good luck and keep us posted. . .Cute kid (I've got one just a little older).
Old 07-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Thanks for the info and advice. I gave up bodyweight worries last year, although I do like to point out a 40 lb. loss in the last 16 months. Larry, I agree about the goals, especially when it comes to the wod's. I have only followed them for the last 4-5 weeks and have already seen great progress in my overall strength and conditioning. In other words, when I take a spinning class, I kick butt! Not bad for a 42 year old who looks younger than his "little" brother.
I'll probably look into the Zone diet this summer and try to get the wife to go along as she regularly drops out of Weight Watchers annually! (Maybe a subject for another thread?) I've known about the Zone for the last 7-8 years, but never had the gumption to try it.
Again, Thanks for the words of advice and compliments on the son. He's a regular fish. Won't get out of the pool, even when he's freezing. The picture is of him after swim lessons. Not bad for a 2 1/2 yr old and his 3 sisters are just as bad when it comes to the pool!!