CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
Travis Ransom

Profile:
Hello everyone! Was interduced to the program yesterday, did alot of reading on the site last night and here I am. I would like to give a little background on myself professionally and give a rundown of my workout and diet. I would like to hear what you all think about it and also answer a few other questions.

I've been a firefighter/paramedic for 12 years. I have always kept a fairly decent activity level(so I thought) but at the first of the year started to hit it fairly heavy for me. Since I work in inspections now in the fire service I work a regular four, 10hr work week (pensil pusher now). This has aloud me to change up my workouts and here is how I have been training.

Monday: Chest(pushing movements)/Bi's
Tuesday: Shoulders/Legs
Wensday: Back/Tri's
Thursday Chest(fly movements)/Bi's
Friday thru Sunday- Cardio/family activities
Every morning Monday thru Thursday 1 hour of cardio before breakfast. 0530-0630
Weight training from 1100-1230.

Diet wise, I eat pretty clean compared to most.
Breakfast
Bowl of Oatmeal
Smoothie 2 cups yogurt, 1 cup milk, banana, strawberries, protein powder

Lunch
Canned Tuna/Chicken
salad
Tortilla
Protein drink

Protein drinks for snacks also

Alright, now my quetions. Today, I scrapped my regular workout and met with "FRAN". I tell you what she kicked my butt. I completed it at around 10 minutes, don't know if thats good or not for my first crossfit workout. I wanted to go faster but them pull up slowed me down.

Any of you do more than just what the WOD is?

Should I keep my morning cardio in with this Crossfit workout?

With my schedule, what would be some good exercises to keep me going at home on the weekends without all the gym equipment?

I have been long winded enough. Any informations or comments would be greatly appreciated.

If it matters or helps my stats are as follows.
5'8"
170lbs
around 11%BF

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to becoming a crossfit junkie!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Think of just about any physical activity, for example swinging a baseball bat. You're doing it with your arms so it's an arm event right? No wait, with out good hip rotation I won't hit past the infield. Oh, and legs, I have to have strong legs to push against the ground to power my hips. Oh wait, core strength, I need a strong core to attach the power from my legs and hips into my arms. Finally we have some arm involvement, but not until after the rest of my body created the power for my arms to channel ito the ball through the bat. Any failures along the way tubes the swing and yoiu got nothing.

Run through a list of other physical expressions of power, speed, strength or whatever and you will find that NONE OF THEM work your body in isolation. The body building model of lifting for different body parts on different days is a failed model for athleticism and is not the CrossFit way. Abandon it.

CrossFit is about three things...Functional exercise executed at very high intensity and with such great Variety you never get in a rut. Functionality, Intensity and Variety that is the secret to CF success.

Here are the notes from the November seminar in Golden, Colorado...lot's of questions answered there.

Did you do Fran as prescribed with 95 lbs? Ten minutes is not bad at all but will drop rapidly as your pullups improve. It's the thrusters that kill me.

Look into the Zone for more improvement on your diet, read Foundations and What is Fitness and go through those notes.

Come back with more questions.

Last edited by Eugene R. Allen : 10-02-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Man Eugene, with your ability to distill and communicate information simply and clearly you should get with coach and write a crossfit bible.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Jason H. Murray

Profile:  
Travis,

I have been living CrossFit now for three weeks. Before this I was doing isolated weight lifting as Eugene described for quite sometime. After doing the first week of CrossFit I totally abandoned the normal weight training I was doing. The first reason I did this was that I felt no satisfaction in doing it any more. My heart rate always stayed low, however I did break a sweat but I attribute that to working out in a gym in Iraq with no A/C. The second reason I abandoned my routine was cause it was just that, very routine and mundane. It wasn't exciting and occaisionally I would get bored and unmotivated. Now with CrossFit I am so excited to get in there and complete it as quick as I can for the timed sets or work on form and functionaltiy on the max effort days. I try to mix it up as much as possible. I follow the WOD pretty much as prescribed, but I throw in some extra stuff too when I can. I usually do three or four rounds of the CrossFit warmup before that. Plus, being in the Army I have normal PT. So my typical day of working out consists of Army PT usually in the morning, such as today a 4 mile run and then I do the WOD in the evenings. I am more than satisfied with the results and am definitely becoming a CorssFit junkie. Now if I can just get my wife to join the cult all will be well. Hehehehe.

-jason
Old 04-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome Travis. Don’t worry about being long winded. Trust me you will fit right in.:happy: Anyway, I am a 45 yr old FF and I can tell you that CF has definitely helped to further enhance my overall training and health. Like many others here, my background was pretty solid in the exercise world,…marathons, MA(Martial Arts), weight lifting, cycling, ect. But I must say that I am benefiting greatly from the WODs and other CF activities but also from the nutritional education that I have been introduced to as well. As soon as you can, get “Mastering the Zone” by Dr. Barry Sears. It is the book of choice among us CFers. I am still trying to follow it as closely as possible but if nothing else it has become an excellent guide line and it really is not too hard to follow. It feels good to be able to keep up with and even outlast the 20 something FF on my department. So stick with CF and will definitely improve your fitness and overall health outlook for hopefully the rest of your life. I am in better shape now than I was when I was in my 20s.

BTW: I have found that “DB Thrusters”, “DB Lunges” and “Box Jumps” have been great exercises that are directly applicable towards the type of physical motions required for the FF world. I am on our fire departments "Search and Rescue" team so those exercises are great for running around in and out of burning buildings, going up and down steps as well as dragging or carrying out victims or other fallen firefighters. But make sure that you try and do all the other exercises as time goes on.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #6
John Messano

Profile:
I couldn't help but go back a re-read Eugene's notes. From page 3:

"The high intensity (read CrossFit) method is to introduce an anabolic state to the body by a marked elevation of the heart rate because this state is very “pulsetile” which means that it is marked by a substantial increase in the pulse/heart rate. Studies have shown that by loading the heels, the hips and/or the spine an anabolic state is created and growth hormone, testosterone and a cascade of other hormones is produced. Think of all the exercises which seem to create the most substantial systemic response, thrusters, clean and jerk, overhead squat, deadlift…they all load the heels, the hips and the spine. Hmmm, so that’s why they work so well. It is this intensity through training that develops four other general physical skills: Cardiovascular and cardio respiratory endurance, stamina, strength and flexibility."

Travis, consider that last 3 workouts (Diane, Fran & Elizabeth) included Deadlifts, Thrusters and Cleans coupled with body weight exercises: Handstand Pushups, Pullups and Ring Dips for TIME! I can not imagine more heel-loaded, high-intensity movements in 3 consecutive workouts!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Travis Ransom

Profile:
Gentleman, thanks so much for all your comments. I picked a bad time to discover this because I left today to visit my out-laws, I mean in-laws, so I spent like 8hrs in a car driving. I'm going to go to the local gym tomorrow and see if I can't get a crossfit workout in. If not, starting next Monday when I get back in town, I'll be ready. I know after doing "fran" yesterday, my back is one of those good kind of sores. I haven't had that from doing a regular back workout in some time, and I get pretty intense with my workouts.

What do you all do when you can't get to the gym for a workout? Pushups/Setups? Cardio? Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your inputs!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Traveling CrossFit.
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=20
Going to be taking advantage of these workouts for the next couple of weeks. We'll be in Ireland, Scotland and England.

(Message edited by Jeff_m on April 05, 2006)