CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #1461
Tom Jones Jr

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Penner View Post
Mike, I was thinking about Ironman too! We are different ages but look @ the stats. I'm 5'10" but I'm @ about 163 now I was 173. Are you doing CFE?

Sorry everyone, back to Paleo.
I feel If you eat enough protien & fat, then really listen to your body, you are not hungry. Bored maybe, just wondering if more food would make you "feel" better, nothing else to do? Just stop and ask yourself "are you really hungry 1 hr. after that dinner of 6oz. salmon, tons of mixed greens 1/3 avacado, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 apple, 15 almonds & 32 oz. water? come on!)
I know this is an old post but worth replying to. A really good point. Thoseof us who have been raised on excessive western diets will have this problem of feeling hungry, but much of it is pyschological dependancy.

I've been eating too much bread recently, so am going on 30 day paleo + Milk(500ml or so) on strength days only. So not strict paleo but who cares, the important thing is that i will not be eating wheat, starch, refined sugar for 30 days. I will of course reward myself with a goddamn slice of vanilla cheescake in a month, whether i want it or not

Anyway, here goes
Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #1462
Sally Parrott

Profile:

Okay, this thread is pretty quiet these days, but my husband and I are taking on this challenge. Today is Day 1. For us, it's much more about health and longevity versus performance, though of course we'd be happy to see performance gains. I want to see if my sleep improves (I read all 147 pages of this thread before we started; I'm estimating 2/3 of you reported better sleep), and I want to try to get some inflammation/auto-immune issues under control. My husband has some joint pain issues that I'd like to see go away, as well.

I'm already gluten-free, 95% dairy-free (sheep or goat dairy ~2 times a month, no cow dairy), egg-free, and soy-free. So in some ways, I have a leg up--but being severely allergic to eggs cuts out a good bit of what other people eat, especially for breakfast. (We had green smoothies for breakfast today.) My husband eats like I do at home (to avoid cross-contamination) but eats what he wants at restaurants--except now he's doing this trial with me, whole hog. Given that he's at a conference today where social drinking is where business gets done, it could be an interesting day for him--but he has willpower (or at least, trust in the process), and I have faith.

I've been talking about trying out SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), which is a healing diet very similar to Paleo, all summer. Now we take the plunge--oh, and we're initially avoiding all nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc.) to see if those are part of our problem. We'll use this as an elimination diet and add foods back in one at a time afterward to see the effect.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #1463
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Yay Sally! Sounds like a good approach! I definitely slept better when I was doing my 30 days (two times), and I am cleaning up my diet now. Sleep is one of the motivators!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #1464
Sally Parrott

Profile:

Thanks, Diane. I appreciate the support.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #1465
Sally Parrott

Profile:

After logging in, I wrote a whole post about how our first day went and what we ate. Then when I tried to post it, the forum said I wasn't logged in and lost what I had written. I'm too frustrated right now to retype. Suffice it to say, our first day went fine. Moving on to day two. . . .
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #1466
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

How's the challenge going, Sally?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #1467
Sally Parrott

Profile:

Thanks for asking, Diane. It's going fine. We're 8 days in with no slip-ups. Feeling good. My husband misses having more vegetarian meals, but he's holding up.