CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Tim Morrison

Profile:
One activity that obvously was done throughout evolutionary lifestyles was the need to run at top speed... real 200-800meter blasts.
It's rare we are ever prescribed that ( the circuit 400/800 runs end up being survival jogs for me).....
I'd love to have timed and posted sprints more (on real sprint work-rest ratios..1-1 or greater.)
I try and do them periodically on rest days but they are so physiologically demanding it ends up not being a rest day (plus the old posterior chain usually NEEDS that rest!).
Anyway. Just a shout out to our coaches to consider this. It certainly is crossfitologically correct is it not?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
At the elite level, the 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile races ARE sprints, death sprints if you ask me, but I have to ask what is stopping you from subbing 4 x 100 meter dashes for the 400's or 4 x 200 for the 800's (I've been thinking of resting 1/2 the time it takes to run each split)? I've been thinking of experimenting with these myself when I finally break down and find an outdoor course to get me off my treadmill.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I've been planning to somehow work sprinting into my workouts as well so I am also interested in the responses. I played flag football a couple weeks ago and my job was to rush the quarterback. This equated to short, hard sprints with lateral movement and stopping and changing directions. I was very, very sore for the next week from this activity and I've been doing Crossfit for about a year now. I play basketball three times a week without a problem which is why I was suprised to be so sore.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Richard Belloff

Profile:

I use sprints in my CF workouts. Use 40 yd dashs, walking and different bodyweight exercises. Makes for a very functional and very intense workout.

I too feel that sprints are crucial for functional fitness, even more so than longer distances. After all, you only have to be faster than the guy who is chasing you!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
In chico we frequently alter the distances to 100, or 200m. It certianly does alter the intensity!

If one is really going all out in a sprint it is not unlike near max efforts with weights, so some care maust be had in how loading is managed.

I tend to like the shorter runs but running is a tough area for me!
Robb
Old 03-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
John Frazer

Profile:
Several months ago the WOD was six 400s with 90 sec. rest between laps.

It was brutal -- if you're running hard enough, 90 sec. is not much rest. I would certainly agree with Robb's comparison to doing a maximum deadlift, say.

I'd like to see that WOD again -- your best 400 is a valuable benchmark in itself.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
Track practice sprints with ladders was always the death of me: 110, 220, 330, 330, 220, 110, then a 440 for time. We'd all be looking at each other wondering what was wrong with the coach?

The 8 x 220 @ less than 30-seconds w/60-sec rest intervals was a killer too. Good Times, I doubt I could even do these nowadays.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
When I do a half volume week, I cut the sprint distance in half so a 400 meter "run", becomes a 200m sprint...in relative terms. Because the volume is cut in half the intensity could rise. I have been doing Half Volume Weeks every 4th week, for over a year and really like them for a number of reasons, one being the diffrent focus of the workout at half volume.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
Ross Burke

Profile:
I took Tim's meaning to be not that 400/800 meters were too long to be all out sprints (although for me they are on the long distance end of sprinting), but that when mixed with other exercises they became a 'survival run.' Back in the day I used to make a workout out of heading to the local community college and sprinting the length of the football field. Then I'd turn around and slooooowly walk back to the starting goal line, turn immediately and fire out again. I'd repeat that for 5 to 15 100 yard sprints, then call it a day.

The thing about CrossFit is Tim, that it's perfectly suited for tailoring to your needs. If you feel you need some sprints, make up a workout and go for it! Post your results and if you feel it was a worthwhile workout, your peers and Coach will review it, make comments, try it, and perhaps even steal it and call it a 'WOD' in the future! ;)
Old 03-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #10
James R. Climer

Profile:
From the 1977,p.T.*, season: Football Power Drills (in full pads & helmet, of course do not get caught doggin it and no rest between) =
1.Sprint sideline to sideline (50 yards)
2.jump up and touch knees to chest 15 times,
3.sprint 50 yards,
4.do 25 jumping jacks,
5.sprint 50 yards,
6.15 reps jump up and touch toes to fingertips at waist level
7.sprint 50 yards
8.do 15 squat thrust, (add push up, jump at end or both to really bring the bile up)
9.sprint 50 yards
10. do 25 mountain climbers
11. sprint 50 yards, grab a knee and proceed to listen to the Coach all bug-eyed & blue-faced ranting about what a bunch of snivelling lap dogs you are, and how you always need your mama's nearby to wipe your dainty little schwantzes that are constantly dribbling pee!

Even as tired as we all were, it was like trying to keep from laughing at your brother's antics in church during a sermon. Our football coach got so ired at the littlest things in games, and the ensuing Monday practice usually produced gems similar to what I've described. Ah, good times.

p.T. = pre-Tabata