CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Adrienne McPhaul

Profile:
Affiliates selling supplements

I'm seeing more and more affiliates bringing in supplement vendors to hold advertising sessions for their clients and some affiliates actually selling a certain brand of supplements or somehow rewarding the use of certain supplements.

While I certainly appreciate recommendations for anything from diet to shoes to equipment, I don't know if I would be comfortable with my trainers/coaches actually selling a certain brand of supplement to me. It reminds me a little too much of doctors getting perks from certain pharmaceutical companies for prescribing certain medications.

Then again, I wouldn't be bothered if we were selling a certain brand of jump rope at the box or if we were selling Paleo Kits.

I'm curious to know what other people think about this.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Kevin Bowman

Profile:
Re: Affiliates selling supplements

Is the box sponsored by the company?
Are the trainers sponsored by the company?
Is it a brand that you have seen within the CrossFit world elsewhere?

If the trainers use the product and believe in the product, why not make it available for others as well? If they are simply getting a kickback (ie, medical), then I would question it.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

We have certain items for sale at my box but I don't think it is priced in a way that the owner makes any money from it (if he does it is probably pretty minimal). I think it could be an issue if they are really pushy about the products but I see no problem in them just having things for sale.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well i think a fitness center is a natural place to sell a fitness nutrition product. i also think that it's good business to sell any products that customers may wish to spend money on. who cares if the box is getting sponsored, making money off the sales, etc? if you want to buy then buy, if you don't then don't. unless the box tells you that you have to use the product to workout there then there is no issue at all.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Like you said, it depends on the motivation. The right supplements work and can be of benefit to your training. If your owner simply sells something because it can provide them the greatest profit etc., that is not a good thing. If they sell a product because they have tried it and or someone they know and trust has recommended it to them that is a good thing.

With my affiliate program (AtLarge Nutrition), I almost invariably have the owner/trainers try our products first. I don't want them to just take my word for it (although I am not upset if they do because I know what is in my products and I know they are very good). In fact, in my experience, most affiliate owners DO sell supplements the right way. They try the products first and only sell them if they feel they are effective.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I have no issue with affiliates selling supplements, but I think they should be offered in only the same way as the affiliate might sell (for example) its apparel or equipment.

Offer the supplement to me in an objective fashion, promoting its features and benefits and how it might serve my needs. Having done so, back off so I can make my own choice.

I get totally turned off by affiliates that get preachy about the supplements that they carry, as if so-n-so specific brand is really the only way to go. I'm here for my goals, not yours.

- Mark
Old 10-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

If its a good brand and people see some results I think I would question why they were NOT selling supplements. Bottom line is its a business and if the products are good they should be selling them. If you are not comfortable with that you have options.

1. Take your business elswhere.
2. Open a gym and run it your way.
3. Continue to go to the gym and workout because you have thus far acheived results and thats what your after, and don't buy the products.
4. Make a picket sign and march around out front protesting the atrocity of a business making money in an attempt to stay in business and provide their customers with an added service.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
Adrienne McPhaul

Profile:

Thanks for the input, guys!

I think Andrew hit on what was bothering me when he said, "fitness center." I would expect supplements to be sold at globo-gyms but it wasn't something I associated with CrossFit previously.

And I understand that things are rapidly changing in the CF community right now and arguing about whether that is a positive or negative thing is like arguing politics or religion so I won't get into it.