CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Lara Mansfield

Profile:
Need advice / encouragement

I've been Crossfit-ing for 5 weeks now and I'm loving it. Getting stronger every day!

My here's my problem - I'm not seeing any difference visually - pictures, measurements or weight in 5 weeks. I'm not gonna lie, one of my reasons for joining CF was to change my body composition. Not necessarily losing weight but getting smaller in the waist, building muscles in the arms, etc.

I started eating according to the Primal Blueprint last January. I lost about 15 pounds on my small framed, 5'2" frame...went from 145 to about 130. Wasn't exercising really, lost steam on the diet, gained 5 lbs back over the summer and am stuck around 135.

My story is that I have a high bodyfat %...don't know what it is, but I figure its high. Like I said, I am small boned, I have skinny arms and legs, and gain my weight in a donut around my stomach/love handles. I have 2 kids, youngest is 19 months. I am not a naturally athletic or strong person....I just now moved up to the 45 lb bar for my overhead presses...but I am getting stronger for sure at CF which is an awesome feeling.

But again, i won't lie, I want to lost my mom gut and I know CF alone will not do it. I know I need to get back on the eating plan...Primal/Paleo. My question is, do I need to be mindful of my caloric intake while eating this way? I'm feeling like I need to in order to really see a difference. According to PB, dairy is ok. I don't drink milk but I do drink cream in my coffee in the morning and cheese somtimes. I'm feeling like I can cut a couple hundred calories if I could give the cream up. Is this something I need to worry about?

WWYD? Stay the course, do CF, eat Primal but not stress about calories?
Or do a rough calorie count each day? And if so, how much would I shoot for?
Also, I've signed up to CF 3x per week. Should I try and do some other exercise on 2-3 other days. I have small kids, so making it to the box more than 3x per week is darn near impossible, but I could do some walking at work, or with the kids at home.

I'm not trying to be one of those neurotic chicks who thinks CF will solve all their problems. I typically have a mostly positive body image. I just want to be sure I maximize my potential and efforts.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Re: Need advice / encouragement

Hey Lara,

I'd like to know what you eat and how much you eat before giving you any rock-solid plan or solutions to your problem. If fat loss is your goal, what you eat, how much you eat, and the intensity of your exercise will be keys to the solution. Just eat like normal for the next 2 or three days and record the calories. Also, take note of what you eat.

So, you are not currently using the Primal plan? That is the most likely culprit here..you are probably not eating the best foods. Do some research using the search function on the nutrition board. Put "Paleo" "primal" or "diet" in the advanced search "in the topic title" option. You should find a lot of threads where people ask for critiques of their diet. It may be able to help you.

I'd suggest keeping the cream in your coffee. I bet, and I could be wrong, that when the people on these boards see what you eat during the day, they will be able to find worse things that are easier to cut. The cream is only probably 100 calories or so a day depending on how many cups you're drinking. Plus, I love my coffee and cream so 100 calories wouldn't be worth it for me. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Lara Mansfield

Profile:

Thanks Colin for the reply.

I have not been eating Primal for the past 5 weeks, EXCEPT for the past few days.

Typical day for when I'm eating Primal...

Breakfast - coffee/cream - probably 3-4T so 200 cal. Eggs/ bacon for breakfast

Lunch - Meatballs made with ground chuck/ground turket combo...meatballs had red pepper, almond meal, onion and eggs. Salad with olive oil vinagrette.

Snack - 2 hard boiled eggs.

Dinner - 2-4 more meatballs, salad with vinagrette, vegetables.

I think my typical day looks pretty much like that. I eat as much as I want and I can eat a lot. Another problem, is I tend to "fall off the wagon" every 4-5 days...I have a hard time with consistency, day after day, week after the week. That was the reason it took me 5 months to lose 10 pounds earlier this year while just eating Primally, no exercise. I feel like if I don't really really try and pay attention to what I'm doing, I just bounce back and forth and don't really lose weight.

Really I know what I need to do... I just have to DO it. I guess I'm just really wondering out loud if counting calories while eating Primally would help the weight come off a little faster. Dont' think I'm tyring to lose weight "fast", but is 1-2 pounds a week too much to ask?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Matthew Carter

Profile:

I think its important to stress the fact that weight loss takes time, you didnt gain it all overnight, you wont lose it that way either. Everyones bodies work differently. Its like a puzzle, but you have to find out what works for YOU.

With diet and intake being 80% of the puzzle, I would start searching/researching here.

I started by writing down everything and really paying attention to the fine details of what is actually in the food. Small tweaks hear and there could be more important than "cutting 100 calories". When I started back up, a friend told me that it takes about 2 weeks for your body to adjust to changes. His suggestion to me was to take lots of progress pictures while keeping track of what you consume, and monitoring the visual changes after comparing pictures. We see ourselves everyday, so we usaully dont really notice changes in ourselves.

Im new to Crossfit and I am doing the 30 day paleo challenge at my box right now. My instructors are awesome and checking my diet logs. After my first full week of classes and workouts mixed with my paleo diet, my progress pictures show a HUGE difference, but there are days when I wake up and look in the mirror and say !!!!

Also, just remember to stay strong with your diet and keep your goals in mind everytime you eat. Remember that some of us are doing the same thing you are, so you arent alone. I also check the boards daily because, it truly is a community sport and Im in love with CrossFit and seeing that others are going through the same things as I am, which just mentally gets me excited to keep on trucking.

Sorry to be so sentimental!

Stay the course and good luck!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Lara Mansfield

Profile:

Thanks Matthew!!

I think a part of my issue is that I am a reactive eater...get hungry, find something to eat.

I think if I planned ahead what I was going to eat in a given day, that would be helpful. On days I bring my lunch to work, and know what's on the plan for dinner, I do much better.

I am going to challenge myself for the next week to really plan out my meals and what I'm eating.