CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Zach S

Profile:
Re: High fat, whats the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Well, an awful lot of us got fat trying to follow the low-fat high-carb recommended American diet. Then when we decided to try the opposite we:

a.) could control our appetites a lot better.
b.) could handle cravings a lot better.
c.) got rid of metabolic issues we were having.
d.) didn't get fat from fat like they said we would and actually got leaner.
e.) enjoyed eating the foods they told us to stay away from.
d.) got rid of inflammation issues like asthma/IBS/reflux/whatever.
f.) noted increased performance.
g.) have much more regulated energy levels.

etc. etc. etc.

To me that's the point....lots of points actually.
I alluded to this in my last post but i will address this directly. Do you think it was the change of low fat/high carb to high fat/low carb or do you think it was the elimination of processed foods, hfcs and plant oils?

For me at least, and to my utter amazement, the USDA might actually have been right all along.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I alluded to this in my last post but i will address this directly. Do you think it was the change of low fat/high carb to high fat/low carb or do you think it was the elimination of processed foods, hfcs and plant oils?

For me at least, and to my utter amazement, the USDA might actually have been right all along.
I did not try paleo for the first year and a half I did crossfit. I generally ate pretty well (no soda, no fast food, little junk) but things like oatmeal, sandwiches with wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, cereal, power bars, etc. were still mainstays of my diet. Nevertheless, going paleo made a enormous difference in my body composition and the way I felt.

My mother who doesn't really do exercise of any kind has also noticed a big difference by cutting down on the amount of grains in her diet. She was always a big proponent of still eating her "whole grains", but now is having a change of heart after adopting more and more of paleo's advice and as a result not even having to worry about unwanted weight gain anymore.

There are all kinds of things that may be happening here. One big one is that it's simply much harder to ingest crap if you're not eating grains. Yesterday I was at a birthday party with Pizza. I ended up not eating any pizza and waiting until I got home to have half a pound of hamburger wrapped in lettuce with 2 cups of Kale. The willpower, planning, motivation, etc. to avoid Dominoes Pizza dame directly from my experience with Paleo.

I've also been looking into Candida as a source of my asthma symptoms. The reduction of yeast containing foods, and yeast feeding foods may have a large impact on the way I feel, my level of inflammation, and my asthma.

If you have absolutely no issues with self control, allergies, metabolic issues, access to quality food, ability to burn off excess calories, etc. Maybe it doesn't matter as much FOR you. But it sure seems to correct a lot more issues than it causes for some folks.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think this thread demonstrates the importance of listening to your body. Clearly, some people thrive on a low-carb, high fat regime, some don't. Some people have trouble with grains, some don't. Results are more important than dogma.

Katherine
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Zach S

Profile:

Yea it sure seems that it corrects more problems for most.. at least for the first year or so. Although i have read many instances were it caused problems with metabolism.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i will just add the the real "secret" to whatever type of diet habits a person chooses is the it has to be one they will stick to over the long run. some people lack self discipline and therefore will not stick to an eating plan unless they enjoy it. other people pick based as much on the lifestyles of those around them and what works best for their family. others choose based on food availability and budget. some people simply like carbs and can't be without them, but don't mind eating a chicken breast instead of a steak. others love their fats and are willing to trade in bread in order to keep their butter and oil. there is evidence to back up all these different eating styles as providing health benefits. perhaps some work better for certain individuals, or perhaps certain individuals just work better for certain diets? either way, the biggest problem out there is the "high everything" diet, where carbs, fats, protien, processed food, alcohol, and calories are all high. this is the diet most americans are eating. the only thing low in most american diets is nutrition and control. i think any eating plan that teaches a form of control and discipline while giving people a plan of attack is a good thing. people can experiment to find what works best for them.

for me personally, i am no "high fat, low carb" clone, and i have done well on several different diets, each with it's own benefits and trade offs. but i have found that when my fat goes too low my joints will hurt, but if my carbs go too low my performance will suffer. just my two cents.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #16
Michael Dries

Profile:

I happen to think low-carb/high fat works better for the overweight/sedentary crowd. Low carb for a lean, hard charging athlete is just silly.

Meanwhile I just had shoulder surgery and I'm basically sedentary for the next few months. Sure I can walk and do some air squats but it'll be quite awhile before I'm sprinting or lifting heavy again.

I've experimented over the last few weeks and noticed that the more carbs I eat (fruit, potatoes, roots, etc) the hungrier I am and the harder it is to control my eating. I don't have this problem is I have, say, chicken and a few avocados vs chicken a few sweet potatoes. Calories being equal the fat holds me over much longer.

I could do high carb, but... as you said "what's the point?" I'd end up having to slice my 2000calories a day into 6 meals just to keep the hunger away. I'd rather eat 2 or 3 times a day and have bigger, fattier meals and not have to think about it.

I guess it really all depends on your goals and how your body reacts to said diet.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

I think this ones pretty simple: In my experience and the experience of most people I know or have heard from (like Michael), higher fat diets are much more satiating than low fat diets. I have tried strict paleo where I was getting about half my calories from fat and I never ate enough. And I know that if I eat some sausage or nuts it doesn't give me the same sudden hunger later as pretzels or something starchy does.

Now, if you aren't worried about overeating then it's a different ball game and goes to other issues people have been throwing around, which you may not buy into. And I also second the "listen to your body" comment.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I have read it and honestly i dont buy most of what Robb says anymore.

I understand that the high fat is needed if one is lowering carb intake but most gurus these days are claiming fat as having some awesome effects at high levels. More seems to be better these days, esp saturated.
Sounds like you haven't been listening too closely to what Robb has to say.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
Jay Mulder

Profile:

John Welbourn talked on the Paleo Solution podcast (Episode 94) and promoted eating carbs. He claimed that 1-1.5g of carbs per pound of body weight is what some people need.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #20
Scott Walters

Profile:

On a sort of related note, why do some people think that some things are good for some not others? Not being smart, I'm actually interested. I mean our genes, biology and physiology are basically the same, so why would essentially similar things be good for all. Just interested in opinions, and please forgive me if this seams rude, not intended