CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Zach S

Profile:
High fat, whats the point?

I have been thinking about this more and more lately as i have traveled fat away from paleo's high fat/low carb dogma. Whats the point of eating high fat?

Getting enough EFA's takes only a couple of grams of fat a day.

Fat is a second tier energy source behind carbs.

Our bodies make cholesterol so eating lots of saturated fat is pointless.

The only thing thing i can think of is we need it to get fat soluble minerals but again you dont need a lot to be effective.

So whats the point in eating more then say 20-30g a day of fat if your carbohydrates are sufficient?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: High fat, whats the point?

The argument for high fat is not that fat is good, but that carbs are bad. If you limit carbs while maintaining a high activity level, you need lots of fat to get enough calories. If you're not limiting carbs, this argument doesn't apply.

Katherine
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I don't think paleo stats you have to be high fat; it just works out that way when you remove grains and beans.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Adam Castagno

Profile:

You and Katherine answered your question,
You start depleting carbs... well what is your body going to run off of...? Adding fat is going to be a fuel source. If you are not moving away from the low/lower carb then don't worry about trying to take in so much fat. I know with me, since Paleo tends to keep my carb intake lower than I normally would if I was not on it, I eat A LOT of fat, usually via peanut or almond butter EVOO etc.

feed the machine
Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Pick up a copy of The Paleo Solution, Robb talks in depth about the differences in Peptide YY production from fats (results are similar in Proteins) vs carbs, and the effect of those on not only saitey, but achieving normal endocrine hormonal cycles.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Pick up a copy of The Paleo Solution, Robb talks in depth about the differences in Peptide YY production from fats (results are similar in Proteins) vs carbs, and the effect of those on not only saitey, but achieving normal endocrine hormonal cycles.

I have read it and honestly i dont buy most of what Robb says anymore.

I understand that the high fat is needed if one is lowering carb intake but most gurus these days are claiming fat as having some awesome effects at high levels. More seems to be better these days, esp saturated.

I just find it weird since i dont know of any real evidence that a lot of fat is a good idea. Also i totally dont believe that carbs should be lowered to or even near ketogenic levels anymore so i guess the whole thing seems flawed to me now.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I just find it weird since i dont know of any real evidence that a lot of fat is a good idea. Also i totally dont believe that carbs should be lowered to or even near ketogenic levels anymore so i guess the whole thing seems flawed to me now.
Welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies!

The whole anti-carb argument is based on the evils of insulin resistance. But as I've repeatedly said, my opinion is that the insulin resistance thing is way overblown provided you're not (a) diabetic or (b) dumping pounds of sugar into your system on a regular basis. For healthy athletes, carbs are great fuel.

Telling people they can eat all the bacon they want is a great way to get popular, but that doesn't make it true.

Katherine
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Well, an awful lot of us got fat trying to follow the low-fat high-carb recommended American diet. Then when we decided to try the opposite we:

a.) could control our appetites a lot better.
b.) could handle cravings a lot better.
c.) got rid of metabolic issues we were having.
d.) didn't get fat from fat like they said we would and actually got leaner.
e.) enjoyed eating the foods they told us to stay away from.
d.) got rid of inflammation issues like asthma/IBS/reflux/whatever.
f.) noted increased performance.
g.) have much more regulated energy levels.

etc. etc. etc.

To me that's the point....lots of points actually.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Zach S

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Welcome to the Dark Side. We have cookies!

The whole anti-carb argument is based on the evils of insulin resistance. But as I've repeatedly said, my opinion is that the insulin resistance thing is way overblown provided you're not (a) diabetic or (b) dumping pounds of sugar into your system on a regular basis. For healthy athletes, carbs are great fuel.

Telling people they can eat all the bacon they want is a great way to get popular, but that doesn't make it true.

Katherine
Hahaha, yea i agree and have been leaning that way more and more lately.

The nail in the coffin happened last week after a very high fat couple of days i ended up with a lower abdomen pain that i had had before and after a visit to the doc and no answers, i finally made the connection that both times i had this were on a very high fat/protein diet. I immediately stopped my diet and started only eating bananas and rice for a day. Here i am three days later and not only is the pain completely gone but my hip inflammation that has been bothering me for years is also gone.

Its a mixed emotion revelation. On one hand i am really excited that i finally pin pointed the problem and i get to radically change up my diet to a way of eating that i love (high carb, med pro, low fat). On the other i am kind of bummed that most of everything i have read and done the past five years on paleo/low carb was probably hurting me much more then making me healthy like i believed.

At least i got out of it not to eat heavily processed foods, hfcs or plant oils.

Last edited by Zach S : 09-26-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Ash Smith

Profile:

I always just saw it as a cheap, easy way to get full in the absence of carbs. With a lot of people questioning the lipid hypothesis and USDA food pyramid (and many of them with good evidence behind them), the ground has been ripe for some alternative ideas.

Paleo is inconvenient and expensive, which is why I've never done it full-tilt. However, my family has cut out most of its gluten and almost all refined carbs and sugars--based on much of the research that has come from pro-Paleo and Atkins-type studies. You don't always have to do something 100% to see results, but we live in a very polarized society that wants everything handed to them in a neat little package that makes decisions a lot easier (eat paleo, vote Ron Paul, do Crossfit, drive a Honda, and drink some Kool-aid).

Ironically, it's the most sedentary and out-of-shape people who need the most dietary change, while active and athletic people have more wiggle room.