CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
David Hare

Profile:
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Smith View Post
I wonder about raw eggs... i guess if you get it locally, but would buying from the grocery store and going 'rocky' style be safe?

I drink eggwhites every morning raw, makes my shakes thick since i don't do milk.
I've always heard there's a risk of salmonella poisoning.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #32
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
So, basically I don't have to worry about processed carbs until I get diabetes from eating processed carbs. Then I should stop eating processed carbs? That statement is wrong.

I know that PWO your body is looking for nutrients and needs to replenish its glycogen stores given that the WO is long and strenuous enough because most of the time even an intense 2 minute WOD won't deplete the stores. But your response missed the point. There are other carbs you can use, so why use crap ones?

There are certainly a lot of studies about the benefits of chocolate milk PWO. All the studies I've read (which do not include every study published) tout the carb/protein ratio and the fact that milk is an awesome muscle builder, source of amino acids, has a great hormonal effect and therefore is excellent for recovery.

But I haven't read one yet that says that there is something special about chocolate milk specifically that you can't get elsewhere. If I drink whole milk and then have some other easily digestible sugars and I hit the right ratio, from the studies it does not seem like that will be any different to my body than if I drink chocolate milk.

In short, the magic is in the milk and the sugar and not the chocolate. Replicate the former and the latter won't matter.
The quality of the carbohydrate has nothing to do with whether or not one will acquire diabetes. Type II diabetes is a result of chronic hyperinsulinemia leading to insulin sensitivity which can be caused by "crap" high GI carbs or "the other ones". Nutrient timing and manipulating timely insulin spikes is the key here for a) protein synthesis, and b) blunting the catabolic effects of cortisol. That can be easily safely accomplished with any quality of high GI carbohydrate.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Smith View Post
I wonder about raw eggs... i guess if you get it locally, but would buying from the grocery store and going 'rocky' style be safe?

I drink eggwhites every morning raw, makes my shakes thick since i don't do milk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
I've always heard there's a risk of salmonella poisoning.
I would only feel comfortable eating raw eggs from a farm where I know their practices are clean and safe. You just don't know what you're getting from the grocery store most of the time.

As for egg whites in cartons, they're pasteurized, so you can safely drink it "raw".

If you're looking at raw eggs as a protein source, you're better off cooking them anyhow; egg white protein is more bioavailable when it has been cooked.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #34
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
I would only feel comfortable eating raw eggs from a farm where I know their practices are clean and safe. You just don't know what you're getting from the grocery store most of the time.

As for egg whites in cartons, they're pasteurized, so you can safely drink it "raw".

If you're looking at raw eggs as a protein source, you're better off cooking them anyhow; egg white protein is more bioavailable when it has been cooked.
I've always wondered, and maybe you'll have an answer: does the pasteurization of egg whites (the ones you buy in the carton) qualify as enough 'cooking' to make that protein more bioavailable?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
I've always wondered, and maybe you'll have an answer: does the pasteurization of egg whites (the ones you buy in the carton) qualify as enough 'cooking' to make that protein more bioavailable?
I don't know for sure. I've seen a few companies advertise their pasteurized egg whites' protein as 100% bioavailable, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #36
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
I don't know for sure. I've seen a few companies advertise their pasteurized egg whites' protein as 100% bioavailable, so take that for what it's worth.
From what I've learned in class, the egg is the most bioavailable natural food and is therefore the standard reference for bioavailability measures. This seems to be regardless of if the egg was cooked or not. I'll ask tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #37
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

for the love of god, just scamble em and chug the chocolate milk down while they cook!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #38
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
for the love of god, just scamble em and chug the chocolate milk down while they cook!
Or use the chocolate milk to scramble them in instead of using ordinary milk or water.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #39
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Or use the chocolate milk to scramble them in instead of using ordinary milk or water.
no doubt
Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #40
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

How sick can you really get from eating raw eggs? I am also lactose intolerant, so any additional digestive distress may get me kicked out of the house.