CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #31
David Hare
Member David Hare is offline
 
David Hare's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh  NC
Posts: 99
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Smith View Post
I wonder about raw eggs... i guess if you get it locally, but would buying from the grocery store and going 'rocky' style be safe?

I drink eggwhites every morning raw, makes my shakes thick since i don't do milk.
I've always heard there's a risk of salmonella poisoning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #32
Alex Carey
Member Alex Carey is offline
 
Alex Carey's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa  ON Canada
Posts: 125
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
So, basically I don't have to worry about processed carbs until I get diabetes from eating processed carbs. Then I should stop eating processed carbs? That statement is wrong.

I know that PWO your body is looking for nutrients and needs to replenish its glycogen stores given that the WO is long and strenuous enough because most of the time even an intense 2 minute WOD won't deplete the stores. But your response missed the point. There are other carbs you can use, so why use crap ones?

There are certainly a lot of studies about the benefits of chocolate milk PWO. All the studies I've read (which do not include every study published) tout the carb/protein ratio and the fact that milk is an awesome muscle builder, source of amino acids, has a great hormonal effect and therefore is excellent for recovery.

But I haven't read one yet that says that there is something special about chocolate milk specifically that you can't get elsewhere. If I drink whole milk and then have some other easily digestible sugars and I hit the right ratio, from the studies it does not seem like that will be any different to my body than if I drink chocolate milk.

In short, the magic is in the milk and the sugar and not the chocolate. Replicate the former and the latter won't matter.
The quality of the carbohydrate has nothing to do with whether or not one will acquire diabetes. Type II diabetes is a result of chronic hyperinsulinemia leading to insulin sensitivity which can be caused by "crap" high GI carbs or "the other ones". Nutrient timing and manipulating timely insulin spikes is the key here for a) protein synthesis, and b) blunting the catabolic effects of cortisol. That can be easily safely accomplished with any quality of high GI carbohydrate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
Alex Carey
Member Alex Carey is offline
 
Alex Carey's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa  ON Canada
Posts: 125
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Smith View Post
I wonder about raw eggs... i guess if you get it locally, but would buying from the grocery store and going 'rocky' style be safe?

I drink eggwhites every morning raw, makes my shakes thick since i don't do milk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
I've always heard there's a risk of salmonella poisoning.
I would only feel comfortable eating raw eggs from a farm where I know their practices are clean and safe. You just don't know what you're getting from the grocery store most of the time.

As for egg whites in cartons, they're pasteurized, so you can safely drink it "raw".

If you're looking at raw eggs as a protein source, you're better off cooking them anyhow; egg white protein is more bioavailable when it has been cooked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #34
Preston Sprimont
Member Preston Sprimont is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Foothill Ranch  CA
Posts: 483
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
I would only feel comfortable eating raw eggs from a farm where I know their practices are clean and safe. You just don't know what you're getting from the grocery store most of the time.

As for egg whites in cartons, they're pasteurized, so you can safely drink it "raw".

If you're looking at raw eggs as a protein source, you're better off cooking them anyhow; egg white protein is more bioavailable when it has been cooked.
I've always wondered, and maybe you'll have an answer: does the pasteurization of egg whites (the ones you buy in the carton) qualify as enough 'cooking' to make that protein more bioavailable?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Alex Carey
Member Alex Carey is offline
 
Alex Carey's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa  ON Canada
Posts: 125
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
I've always wondered, and maybe you'll have an answer: does the pasteurization of egg whites (the ones you buy in the carton) qualify as enough 'cooking' to make that protein more bioavailable?
I don't know for sure. I've seen a few companies advertise their pasteurized egg whites' protein as 100% bioavailable, so take that for what it's worth.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #36
Jordan K Smith
Member Jordan K Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lafayette  LA
Posts: 211
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Carey View Post
I don't know for sure. I've seen a few companies advertise their pasteurized egg whites' protein as 100% bioavailable, so take that for what it's worth.
From what I've learned in class, the egg is the most bioavailable natural food and is therefore the standard reference for bioavailability measures. This seems to be regardless of if the egg was cooked or not. I'll ask tomorrow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #37
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

for the love of god, just scamble em and chug the chocolate milk down while they cook!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #38
Dave Traeger
Banned Dave Traeger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Perth  WA Australia
Posts: 1,810
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
for the love of god, just scamble em and chug the chocolate milk down while they cook!
Or use the chocolate milk to scramble them in instead of using ordinary milk or water.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #39
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
Or use the chocolate milk to scramble them in instead of using ordinary milk or water.
no doubt
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #40
Tim Trujillo
Member Tim Trujillo is offline
 
Tim Trujillo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pueblo  CO
Posts: 285
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

How sick can you really get from eating raw eggs? I am also lactose intolerant, so any additional digestive distress may get me kicked out of the house.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chocolate Milk Lisa Smalheiser Nutrition 4 08-11-2009 10:05 AM
[B]Chocolate Milk[/B] John Ramsey Nutrition 3 06-21-2009 12:26 PM
Chocolate Milk vs. Regular Milk Luke Hitt Nutrition 15 04-25-2009 08:30 PM
Milk and chocolate Kevin Edwards Nutrition 9 06-03-2006 08:25 AM
Chocolate milk, again Tim Weaver Nutrition 18 03-22-2006 05:35 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.