CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:
Re: Eggs and chocolate milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
...That's a rather zealous praise of chocolate milk as a recovery drink. You really think there's nothing better? If so, I'm curious to hear your reasons.
My reasons for believing this would be the numerous recent studies that have concluded exactly that. (all links wfs)

Gilson SF, Saunders MJ, Moran CW, Corriere DF, Moore RW, Womack CJ, Todd MK. Effects of chocolate milk consumption on markers of muscle recovery during intensified soccer training. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2009;41:S577.

Karp, J. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2006; (16: 78-91). "Nutrition and athletic performance -- Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine," http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...l/adap1200.cfm.

Stager, Joel. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. Spring 2006
http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v29n1/milk.shtml

"Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism"; Improved Endurance Capacity Following Chocolate Milk Consumption Compared With 2 Commercially Available Sports Drinks; Kevin Thomas et al; 2009

And plenty more, just use your Google-fu.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
Mitch Jensen

Profile:

Hail to the Redskins!

It's comical living here when the Cowboys are playing poorly because everyone just rips Romo...or whoever the goat is for the week.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #23
Mitch Jensen

Profile:

I would love to be able to eat a dozen raw eggs and a gallon of whole milk a day....I just don't think I could afford it!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I would be sh*tting all day
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #25
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

OK, first of all, Skins and Cowgirls are both awful! Fly Eagles Fly!

But seriously, I'm very interested in this. I am looking to cut my protein shakes so I can save money for an affiliate membership. Would a chocolate milk PWO and whole milk at night combined with healthy eating (not necessarily paleo, but natural and minimally processed) be sufficient replacements for a whey protein + creatine shake PWO and a casein protein shake before bed? If so, how much of each should I look to drink? Should I look at drinking whole milk at other times throughout the day? Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Drew
Old 09-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #26
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Unless you have diabeties there is nothing wrong with high GI processed carbs.
So, basically I don't have to worry about processed carbs until I get diabetes from eating processed carbs. Then I should stop eating processed carbs? That statement is wrong.

I know that PWO your body is looking for nutrients and needs to replenish its glycogen stores given that the WO is long and strenuous enough because most of the time even an intense 2 minute WOD won't deplete the stores. But your response missed the point. There are other carbs you can use, so why use crap ones?

There are certainly a lot of studies about the benefits of chocolate milk PWO. All the studies I've read (which do not include every study published) tout the carb/protein ratio and the fact that milk is an awesome muscle builder, source of amino acids, has a great hormonal effect and therefore is excellent for recovery.

But I haven't read one yet that says that there is something special about chocolate milk specifically that you can't get elsewhere. If I drink whole milk and then have some other easily digestible sugars and I hit the right ratio, from the studies it does not seem like that will be any different to my body than if I drink chocolate milk.

In short, the magic is in the milk and the sugar and not the chocolate. Replicate the former and the latter won't matter.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Samuels View Post
Always a little sarcastic I think many people on here have lost site of reality with some of this stuff so I like to liven it up a bit but all in good fun!

Really people go overboard with demonizing everything and become so militant about every little thing and a one size fits all type philosophy with any subject.

So mixing it up a bit but seriously chocolate milk.... Good stuff!
Haha, in that case I am with you all the way.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Neal Smith

Profile:

I wonder about raw eggs... i guess if you get it locally, but would buying from the grocery store and going 'rocky' style be safe?

I drink eggwhites every morning raw, makes my shakes thick since i don't do milk.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #29
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
My reasons for believing this would be the numerous recent studies that have concluded exactly that. (all links wfs)

Gilson SF, Saunders MJ, Moran CW, Corriere DF, Moore RW, Womack CJ, Todd MK. Effects of chocolate milk consumption on markers of muscle recovery during intensified soccer training. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2009;41:S577.

Karp, J. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2006; (16: 78-91). "Nutrition and athletic performance -- Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine," http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...l/adap1200.cfm.

Stager, Joel. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. Spring 2006
http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v29n1/milk.shtml

"Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism"; Improved Endurance Capacity Following Chocolate Milk Consumption Compared With 2 Commercially Available Sports Drinks; Kevin Thomas et al; 2009

And plenty more, just use your Google-fu.
Yeah, I've seen a few similar articles before, and I've even seen ads for chocolate milk in school gyms (though that might have been so that the front desk selling chocolate milk at $3 a bottle could make a few extra bucks). But I get the feeling that these studies and anecdotes are like the ones where they take a skinny and exhausted endurance runner or a chubby couch potato and have them do (insert decent weightlifting program here) for a few months, they see some gains, and then say, "(decent weightlifting program) will make everyone and their mother strong as ox." Yeah, I guess it's kind of true that it works for some folks, but it's being compared to absolutely nothing or to a LSD running program, so of course they will have some strength gains. These chocolate milk studies are comparing "standard sports drinks" (I assume that means the likes of Gatorade and Powerade) with chocolate milk. It's no surprise that milk, with it's growth inducing hormones and decent amounts of protein and it's natural source and it's naturally occurring vitamins and minerals plus it's sugary chocolate goodness will improve athletes' recovery better than a sport drink consisting of water, some sort of corn syrup, some food dye, and some vitamin/mineral fortifications sprinkled in.

So I do understand where all of the chocolate milk praise comes from, and yes, it's significantly better than colored sugar water for recovery, but it's probably not the best thing out there. I think that something like a tall glass of whole milk and a sweet potato would probably be better in the long run. Though definitely not as delicious.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #30
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Milligan View Post
OK, first of all, Skins and Cowgirls are both awful! Fly Eagles Fly!

But seriously, I'm very interested in this. I am looking to cut my protein shakes so I can save money for an affiliate membership. Would a chocolate milk PWO and whole milk at night combined with healthy eating (not necessarily paleo, but natural and minimally processed) be sufficient replacements for a whey protein + creatine shake PWO and a casein protein shake before bed? If so, how much of each should I look to drink? Should I look at drinking whole milk at other times throughout the day? Thanks for any advice anyone has.

Drew
It all depends, and there isn't one good answer. You need to find out for yourself.
Personally, I drink as much whole milk as a I can enjoyably stomach during the hour or so after my workout (usually ends up being in the neighborhood of 24-32 oz, I would guess), plus maybe some fruit, a sweet potato, regular potato, or rice, depending upon what's available.
If you're trying to gain weight, drink whole milk and drink it all the time. If you're not, I think it still serves as a great recovery drink, just don't have as much of it. Overall though, I prefer straight whole milk over any casein/whey/creatine/whatever PWO shakes. Cheaper and probably a bit healthier.