CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Michael De-Vaney

Profile:
Starting a 30-day Paleo Challenge with friends

Hi guys!

Been Crossfitting for just over 6m now and absolutely addicted. Can't imagine life without it now.

My cardio fitness, and strength in all parts of my phsyique, has greatly improved in this time. I've noticed the differences in every aspect of my life.

What I'm very keen on, though, is losing all the body fat. I'm a very big boy - 6'1", 120kgs. At my Crossfit gym, the head trainer affectionately refers to me as "Big Fella" (we're Aussies). In my 6+ months in Crossfit, my weight hasn't fluctuated very much; 5kgs either way at most. As I mentioned, though, my strength and fitness has definitely improved; I have definitely gained muscle, but haven't lost enough fat to drop the scale weight much.

I am very keen on losing scale weight, terms of body fat, as my weight is definitely very unhealthy as it is.

My problem is that I've found the Paleo diet to be very hard to stick to. I love my carbs - bread, pasta, pizza, etc - and I've tried and failed about 3 or 4 times now. When I am on it, my weight loss is steady and noticeable.

But like I said, I find it very hard to stay "on the wagon" and revert to my old, unhealthy ways.My answer to this is a 30 day Challenge, in which I've invited a bunch of my friends to take part in. 30 days of strict Paleo dieting for whatever goal they have - fat loss, muscle bulking, general health, ketosis, etc.

I'm wondering if anybody has done anything like this, in which they can give me any advice?

Here's the way I've been considering structuring the Challenge.

- 30 Days straight strict Paleo diet
- Appropriate workout plan for whatever the individual's goals are (I will be doing Crossfit, with maybe some HIIT cardio in my rest day mornings)
- Before, during, and after photos and stats to be recorded

Can advice be provided on these points? -

- Should individuals write down everything they eat/drink to keep a record?
- Should individuals have a single cheat day per week?
- A couple of vegetarians want to take part - proteins and fats, what's good?

Thankyou very much for any advice!

Mike ("Big Fella")
Old 09-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Johnny Rivers

Profile:
Re: Starting a 30-day Paleo Challenge with friends

look up http://whole9life.com, they have an outlined paleo type 30-day challenge with details on the website
Old 09-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I use a program like fitday or loseit to track my food and it is pretty easy once you get going because you can just transfer the foods over from the previous days. The way to succeed in the Paleo Diet is to give yourself a cheat day. I usually pick Sunday and eat something I like. Don't go crazy, but have something you like to eat like pasta, bread, or whatever else. Just don't go crazy. And don't beat yourself up if you have a little cheat day here and there. As long as you stay away from the grains (except on cheat days), you will be fine.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I would skip the cheat day during the 30 day challenge. One of the points of that is that it will help you lose the cravings for the foods you mentioned. It is only 30 days, so if nothing else use it as a test of your willpower. If you decide to stay paleo a cheat day every now and then is fine, just try to not do it for 1 month.
Think about if you said 'I am doing the 30 day no smoking challenge, except for Sunday when I get to smoke.'
Having a food journal or way to track food you eat is a good way to monitor what and how much you eat. (I would not get down to measuring it, but just a rough idea.)
Once I went on a strict paleo challenge I found I no longer cared for bread and pasta. Now to me they are just tasteless and mushy.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
I would skip the cheat day during the 30 day challenge. One of the points of that is that it will help you lose the cravings for the foods you mentioned. It is only 30 days, so if nothing else use it as a test of your willpower. If you decide to stay paleo a cheat day every now and then is fine, just try to not do it for 1 month.
Think about if you said 'I am doing the 30 day no smoking challenge, except for Sunday when I get to smoke.'
Having a food journal or way to track food you eat is a good way to monitor what and how much you eat. (I would not get down to measuring it, but just a rough idea.)
Once I went on a strict paleo challenge I found I no longer cared for bread and pasta. Now to me they are just tasteless and mushy.
I agree with the no cheat day on the 30 day challenge. I've done two challenges and I never cheated on either on. It wasn't that hard to do. Once the challenge is done, then I would give myself a cheat day.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Paul Biester

Profile:

did your body go into revolt for a week or so as you cut out the sugar etC? how do you feel at the end of a challenge?.....
I think im bout to get my paleo on!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Matthew Carter

Profile:

Good luck,

Im on day 4 of my 30 day paleo challenge! Im still getting used to it! Its no joke. Like someone said in the above post, its really just a test of willpower.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Johnny Rivers

Profile:

Also on day 4 of 30 day challenge. Has been easy so far. Had to watch everybody in family eat Mexican last night. I just cooked up a frittata with spinach, eggs and onions and had it with some chicken. Once I had eaten I didn't feel tempted at all. 26 to go.