CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #21
Courtney Barnett

Profile:
Re: If any ladies can answer .. guys welcomed too

I have struggled with this for a very long time, as I have been diagnosed with Insulin Resistence for about 2.5 years now. Though I am sure you do not suffer from the same thing as me, most people do not view the food they are eating and how it actually affects the chemicals in your budy.

You need to look into how what you are eating is actually being processed by your body. For example, your first meal of the day is very carb dense (oatmeal) which will spike your blood sugar and in response your insulin. When this happens your system begins to store energy (read calories) into the cells (read: creates more fat). It also makes it much more difficult to burn those same calories. So for an average woman who burns roughly 1700-2000 calories a day but just living and breathing and moderate activity, her system is unable to burn its typical calorie count if it is consistently being inundated with insulin. This is one of the main premises behind Paleo, controlling the insulin spikes the typical american puts their body through on a daily basis.

I would recommend you look into The Zone and The Paleo Solution...both of these options help to minimize those insulin spikes (more so Paleo then the zone), and still get you enough food (as mentioned by previous posters, you need more food as well) therefore enabling your body to burn the calories needed for weight loss (and oh by the way, typically women store their fat in their mid-section, so the less fat storage that you have, the more defined mid-section you will find). Google "Glycemic Index" and take a look at the many charts that show you the GI for each food item. If you think you need fruit (I use to to add variety and satiate my sweet tooth) look at the fruits with a lower GI rating. Try to keep most of your foods lower on the glycemic index, if you don't like eggs breakfast may be more of a challenge, but there is no rule to say you cant have leftovers from dinner for breakfast!

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!